What becomes of rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickbox, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

The irony of this comment on an rFactor 2 forum.

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Would you mind elaborating a bit?

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I can do that for Matt...

When rF2 was first released, going of the track would make your Logitech wheel shake so wildly absurd... It still does happen at occations, Sepang I had it last time where I noticed...

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Are you some kind of Elite Haxor Wizzard?

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Haha oh it was that obvious.
    Yeah I got that crazy buzz saw noise too last summer when I bought rF2. Plenty of help there.
    Didn't take more than a couple of days before I was told which .ini line to change, and gone was the noise. Easy peasy.

No such luck on the Kunos forums. Just devs saying "no issue" when it obviously is an issue.

Plus it makes no sense at all, having to kill your G27 every single time I brake.
    Plus it makes no sense that the same noise occurs when the car is stationary.
    Plus it makes... sorry, you get the picture. :)

I had to look that one up.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=haxor
    No sir, no I am not. Wish I was though.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You and me both, mate. Yikes..

7. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

It's all about creating a good first impression of the product as far as I'm concerned, something rF2 doesn't do. I'm sure the UI is a turn-off for some people and sure, they may be shallow for thinking that way, but that's life. First impressions count.

While the UI may be perfectly acceptable for the enthusiast user, we should perhaps think about the more mainstream audience that may wish to delve into rF2. There's no reason why 'niche' simulation software shouldn't have a professional and modern interface, unless we want to be elitist and revel in the relative inaccessibility of this piece of software to the more casual user.

Really I just want to see a UI befitting of this millennium. It doesn't have to be flashy or gimmicky, just clean, nice to look at and easy to navigate.

8. O11

O11 Registered

Convenient or streamlined user interfaces are arcade.

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

In that case rf2 is pretty hardcore.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hugely rf2 biased? I have put in my fair share of criticisms of rfactor 2. Constantly bitching about audio, physics-to-graphics connection, 64 bit, dx11 (for performamce/efficiency much more than for looks), terrible performance on amd cards (relative to the equivalent nvidia card), all the options and settings buried in text files that should be in-game, etc. etc.

Also, I wasn't talking about the in-game, on-track ui, I was talking about before you go on track. Really though I couldnt care what a ui is like because you get used to them all right? All I care about is that the option is in there in the first place, rather than having to quit game, edit & save text files, reload game back up, etc. (And I think rf2 can improve there too, definitely).

Definitely not biased.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yep, some people just completely switch off if they don't have good first impressions hey, strange I know,

but I guess that where the saying comes from ( 1st impressions count )

there is an option there now to select which UI, but right now there is only one not sure how much control a modder would have over a new UI ( although the default standard UI will be the first one most will see in the demo etc )

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

True good point, I guess the impression and "feel" you get when navigating through options and u.i. pages can affect your impression regardless of how bad or good the pure gameplay is.

Sort of like menu background music, intro videos, menu/u.i.background pictures, etc. It all contributes somewhat to the feel and experience of the title.

All of it added up will not make a game with bad actual gameplay better, however it can nelp the experience of a game with good gameplay (like in this case AC) just that bit better.

I was being a little close minded I guess. I may personally not care much about it myself but I can definitely see how a fancy and modern feeling u.i can make a difference to many, not just in terms of functionality but also in terms of the "feel" and also in giving new users a good first impression to keep on playing/purchase the title.

13. osella

osella Registered

Fair enough.

14. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

It's a dilemma really because if every single thing that could be tweaked with this sim had a button tab or slider I'm pretty sure people would be like "WTF this is far too complicated, look at all those sliders buttons and tabs, the ui is too cluttered, I don't know what to do..... I'll fire up that simcade title instead"

Not defending the indefensible....... just saying. It is a hardcore tool and consequentially it's going to look as complicated as a 64 track mixing desk if every setting was on display. Mouseover popup description boxes, non click tabs, basic and advanced setting for each tab might solve it but that's a lot of work down the line, and not every setting may be in the software yet. Maybe they don't want to rebuild the ui until that. For instance that new minimum torque setting that just completely changed the feel of the whole sim (for me) wasn't in the last build, it might not have been in this one if they had to redo the ui and add a new button, tab, slider or all three just to include a new setting.

So what I'm saying is perhaps they are saving the UI until last for good reason. The UI for me isn't that bad until you get to the garage which I really do not like, all settings could be on one page positioned over a virtual car, and can we not just pick a system, metric or imperial and display ALL car settings like that. I don't want to start trying to convert lbs to kg or cm to inches in my head. Computer could do the conversion for me surely. Also if you are enclosed in a rig you probably would appreciate being able to navigate the UI solely with keyboard, I know I would. The other thing that grinds my gears about the UI is that if you are in a rig with 3 screens and the wheel is positioned realistically, buttons are hidden behind the wheel, I'm constantly peering left and right and over to see where my mouse is. You would have thought they might have noticed. Anyway I hope as I say they feel that having all the content that the UI will control finished before changing it is the right thing to do to decrease workload.

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yup. You got it!
    We as hardcores need more options. The more the better.
    But the causal user will be (or is actually) overstrained.
    Problem that follwos is:
    When now something isn´t running as it should (what often will be the case)
    there are this hundreds of options and most will give up before even trying.
    That said I wont say that the playability "out of the box" is bad.
    At least when you have a decent system so you don´t have to tweak for performance.
    But it could be way better...

Greets
    Pete