What becomes of rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickbox, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

+2

The rF2 replays are so dull and silly that shouldn't even be availble yet. Horrible.

2. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

So your argument is basically past success = future success?

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You could also take the time to enjoy the various sim racing and racing game products that are available to you. But I guess the forum ranting/reading can get us through each day.

4. 88mphTim

I've been racing in an online league for a few weeks now. First league for me since 2010. Having a great time. Yes, that's the point of real road, is to give you a RACING simulator, not a DRIVING simulator. RACING drivers cope with CHANGING conditions of whatever type they are presented with. This kind of situation is difficult for many to adapt to.

Yeah, I think perhaps having a forum is not a good idea in many ways right now (for any developer in any genre). There is a lack of understanding among most for the pace of development any developer really has. I can't see much of a difference in pace with true realtime development either. The level of immaturity from software users is reaching a level of epidemic insanity.

5. 88mphTim

Our replays do use a slightly different system, but in recent cars you should (if you save in full fidelity) see very decent movement. Only thing I notice is lack of head movement in cockpit view compared to live. I agree in terms of other things, cameras, etc, but can movement should be OK in recent cars, older cars I think just need their next update to be the same.

6. 88mphTim

gMotor 3 doesn't exist.

You'll be getting mathematically and physics correct lighting systems handling HDR, etc. Then everyone can tell us how wrong it looks.

7. 88mphTim

I won't accept derogatory statements against the personnel at ISI. If you wish to continue posting here do not do that again. Thank you.

8. 88mphTim

Apart from mention of 1992 and rF2 being the 16th product (which is wrong, but public products is probably about right), what in his post referred to past success? The rest of his post was current. You need to fill that glass up as soon as you can, it's making you look bad.

9. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Tim, you know I'm one of the biggest ISI/rFactor fans around. It's the reason I was banned from Project CARS and it's the reason I make threads like this on other sites.

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve with my previous post, but instead of threatening me with a ban, I would much prefer a proper response. What is going on at ISI?

It sounds like you're a skeleton crew now. Was this always the vision Gjon had in mind? Are the resources being split between rFactor 2 development and rFactor Pro support? What should fans expect in 2014?

10. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

I seem to be the only one who tries to promote rF2 on GAF now :(

11. 88mphTim

That's the point, ISI is doing exactly what it always has. It's your perception and requirements that are different.

If by skeleton you mean the ISI crew, in general, then sure you can call it that. We just call them the people that work for the company. It's almost like nobody counted the names on the rF2 credits.

Was what always the vision, of what? We haven't changed anything in any substantial way. ISI is a LARGER company than it was in 2012 in terms of employees. What are you asking?

Split? No. Do we get contacted to add or alter things occasionally for rF Pro? Sure. Does it have the effect you are probably assuming? Laughably, no. rF Pro is essentially 'done' and has been for years. We still do the occasional maintenance update for rF1 as well in the same way. Does it take a day or two away from the whole team? No. It usually is one guy and an afternoon every few months. (Edit: Terence had a week on rF Pro around Christmas).

It's your perception that has changed. The questioning of leadership qualities for an individual or a specific position within the company, based on your belief that something within the company is different, is absolutely unacceptable. You will not do that.

12. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I've itemized your statements to make replying easier.

1. Somebody did count the names in the credits. :)

2. I'm thrilled that ISI has grown in terms of personnel, but can you also confirm that man-hours of development has increased since early 2012? Head count alone means nothing if people are splitting their time between other projects or jobs. From an outside perspective, it seems crazy that you only have two people working on tracks. It used to be Scott and Luc; now it's Luc and Pier. So the company may be larger, but your track team seemingly hasn't grown at all.

3. And yes, my perception has changed over the past two years. ISI now has strong competition from Kunos, SMS, and Reiza. The other companies have done a tremendous job of being transparent and building hype for their products. SMS has detailed progress reports about each track and vehicle (first image below) that give a sense of accountability both within the team and within the fan community. Meanwhile, Kunos is roughly the same size as ISI and they has been turning out meaningful updates every two weeks (second image below) with significant advancements like Oculus Rift support. Your competitors have raised the bar tremendously, which is why the sim racing community has flocked to their projects, perhaps at your expense.

Again, I'm not saying rFactor 2 is a bad product. However, I am saying that your momentum has faded significantly and I don't see how you're going to get it back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 88mphTim

There's a major portion of your post that I'm unable to reply to due to the fact I don't agree in any way with your interpretation of events. This does a very good job of explaining why your perception has changed. I think it'll change again.

1. Then I think there's an amazing lack of understanding of staffing for no apparent reason. It makes the context of your initial post appear even worse.

2. I already answered this in a logical way. You're making a logical and straightforward answer as confused as you want it to be. No, there's no fiddling of hours................. It was a like to like increase, which is why I didn't give you an overly complicated answer to a simple question.

14. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Thanks for your response, Tim.

15. 6e66o

6e66o Registered

Looking forward to that :)

16. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

If it's called GM3 or 2.1 or 2.5, whatever, it's the 'new' engine I mean and you know that. If the name's so important to get right, let me know the name... Chonology is a nice thing, I like it, I stuck by it... Silly I know, I'm sorry :)

'will be getting' as in not right now..? My question was if it did a good job of recreating what is happening outside these four walls. I'm looking forward to see what we will be getting, because it sounds like a radically different experience, and that sounds very, very good.

Indeed, George :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
  17. Emery

Emery Registered

Psst! There's a checkbox at the top of the screen in allcarsandtracks for a collapsible list view.

18. osella

osella Registered

Putting it out of context much, Tim..? See I was replying to post that said "simracers need to standup against ISI", to which I replied that we can only rant on forums, as we already do.
    And btw I appreciate that on this forum even hard criticism is tolerated, as long as it's not totally vulgar and unconstructive.

Enjoying the sims we have is obviously what I prefer to do.

19. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

The fact you are adding Reiza in that list is just completely laughable. You do know who Reiza are right? You do know that they use the gMotor engine (rFactor 1 engine) for their game right? To compare them to ISI in the way you have is just laughable considering their game only exists because they are using an ISI engine. No offense to Reiza even though I have my own issues with them, but adding them to the list of Kunos and SMS is like putting Caterham or Marussia in the same category as Mclaren or Ferrari. Sorry but nearly fell off my chair when I read that...

20. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Reiza is currently only developer (from those listed) that has successfully created true racing experience with full field of cars, tracks and complete offline championship. I am still waiting for others to work out something like that, and I think I have to wait quite some time.