What becomes of rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickbox, Feb 14, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's a useful exercise for me in finding people who don't want to be a part of our community, but lack the maturity to simply not visit. I am giving those who do it short bans, and noting their usernames for future events.

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

regards GFX... so I'm not the only one who thinks RF2 actually has the better "style"? I ran pCARs for a day or two (before giving up on the UI and other stuff) and the visuals at historic Monza for example, they never impressed me much beyond what we have. Seems to me where the other two titles are going for "photorealistic" (and arguable pCARS is an excellent screenshot generator) then RF2 is more on the "simulator GFX side", i.e. it doesn't try to look like a picture, but like a detailed 3d simulation. Both are valid approaches and the "corridor-like" scenes I see in AC and PC is definitly not what I would want in RF2.

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

rF2 is not flashy and "show boaty". I like that, and prefer that any day.

4. Hectari

Hectari Registered

+some

Though it can't hurt to empower users to make flashier replays and screenshots without the need for using external editing software for certain effects which have been discussed plenty already.

One of the things i'd like that has also been discussed is a better free cam mode. It currently is very time consuming to move cameras around, saving custom cams would be ideal. I'd also like the mouse pointer visibility toggle/free look to be separated from each other, when you press it the camera resets to it's original position, would be great to toggle and leave cam where you have put it. Also for cameras that are being moved, is it possible to remove the camera shake, or toggle it? When I move a camera a distance away from where it was the camera will shake when a car passes the original position. It ruins certain shots or means I have to grab a camera from a much greater distance away and have to move it even further. In the case of a large field it could mean that all cams anywhere near the desired location are unusable.

5. bwana

bwana Registered

A few days ago I purchased AC purely to gain another race game to drive whilst waiting for more RF2 stuff and was expecting something pretty reasonable , realising that it had huge shoes to fill in regards to the bar that ISI has set on the physics side of things was looking forward to great visual enhancement. not to be really. Maybe with my machine Im missing quite a bit but that stands for both games and AC didn't overrun RF2 in anyway at all graphically.So I was left with a game that isn't anything like a simulation but may be a first step up from a console racer but nothing more. Keep up the good work ISI ,Iam learning to be more patient as I know in the not to distant future RF2 wil be the ducks nuts of simracing..

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Duuuuuude! You made my day :)

Personally I'm not looking at graphics as something that should have it's style or something that is subsidiary to preference.

It either accurately represents reality or not :)

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

And is the Gemotor 3 doing a good job?

I don't like rFactor looks, it's up to standard in my opinion. We're not talking whistles and bells...
    Rather colour palette, Time of day recreation, lighting and so on... I'm not in the branche, don't know the terminology, which I believe you are and do... I'd like to hear your opinion... Sincerely.

8. KDickie

KDickie Registered

I'm fairly new to RF2, about 6 months or so. I was an RF1 user for about 5yrs. I really enjoyed RF1 and have been impressed with much of what I have found in RF2. When I bought my lifetime subscription to RF2 I understood that it was really still in BETA even though ISI called it a 'Release'. There are many items that everyone talks about in these forums, graphics, new cars, new tracks, UI, physics, tire physics...etc. that are in process for being upgraded, It's almost impossible to know what the real situations is. Is there a place, a post or something where ISI indicates the feature list and status of each feature? I think it gets confusing for many to see the progress, there are a lot of people on these forums that seem to have inside information, but I suspect that just as many are repeating misinformation taking it for gospel. I mean ISI must have some kind of plan for attacking what they know is deficient, why not share the vision. ISI asked me to trust them and sold me an 'evolutionary product', it would be nice to at least have a place where they can show me what they are planning in that evolution and roughly what % they feel they have completed.

9. Emil Zhelyazkov

Emil Zhelyazkov Registered

+1

Sent from my GT-I9300

10. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

good post IMO

11. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

+3

12. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Now this isn't a post to get the arguments going, but just an observation and impression on my part. I love RF2 and I can't see anything wrong with the look of it, my son has an Xbox One and they just released an addon track, Road America.
    When he showed it to me, he uses a 32 inch non HD tee Vee to play it on, I couldn't believe how fantastic the track looked.
    It was almost like watching a video of real track.
    I don't know what hardware or software the Xbox one uses ( this is in Forza 5 by the way ) but the thing I thought made it look like it did was what seemed to me, deeper colours or slightly darker colours.
    I don't use some of Spaskis's tracks because to me the colours are too bright almost making the look of them cartoony, where as the ISI tracks look way better but not sure if its the time of day does it but the tracks always seem to have a dullness or a mist or haze about them.
    If it were possible to have the ISI tracks look like this Road America then it would be the best of both worlds, IMHO.
    But no matter what, RF2 is the only sim I will use as to me Physics before graphics in a racing sim is the main way to go.

Would HDR make it look better as I don't use it now.

13. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

14. stonec

stonec Registered

The lighting system in rF2 isn't perhaps the most advanced, but in general the colors and reflections are pretty close to realistic, which can't be said about 90% of games on today's market. Around 10 years ago there seemed to be a direction in games aiming towards photorealism, but in recent times this has been replaced by something else. Instead of making games look real, the goals seems to be to push as much "eye candy" to the user as possible, which is a horrible direction imo. By "eye-candy" I mean over-exaggerated post-processing, too much bloom, sick motion blur, lens flare and other "effects", overbright reflections, unreal colors that look like they have gone through a filter.

iRacing and rFactor2 are about the only racing games on the market that have kept this "eye candy" from being overly dominating. Even in the HDR profile shown above, whilst admittedly the colors look punchier, you can notice the sky is entirely white from 00:40-1:00 in the sun direction, which is what happens when the HDR white-point is made unrealistic.

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Imo HDR isn't just eye-candy nor a cool gimmick. it actually brings much more depth to the environments, as if its more 'real', more immersion and stuff. And not just the lighting or reflections either.

Maybe its just my sucky system that gives such a big difference between on and off but I made sure my graphics and other settings where toned down in such a way I could use HDR. Graphics are still good but the HDR just brings things to live much more and sucks me into it far better then the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  16. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Testing the HDR profile linked a few posts up, it really amazes me how much depends on the track. Sebring for example is insanley pretty without, and awesome with it. Sunset at 8:30pm with HDR is visually up there with anything pCARS or AC might have - just in a clearer, less bloomy, less "fake" presentation. Feels' tracks are similar but I don't run them because they are too small for my liking.

Yet there are tracks (and sadly that includes Silverstone) where the colors are just off, and even a HDR profile doesn't change the pinkish curbs to proper red ones.

17. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

View attachment 11719

I just cant see what it is about rF2 graphics people are complaining about.. it looks fantastic and realistic if you have the machine for it - as with most modern games nowdays

all this mumbo jumbo about going to DX11 is just pure crap, DX9 is true and tested and is a stable platform.

where rF needs a push in development is pretty much just the sounds-engine.. content will come as time goes on.

18. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From that are ISI far away and, without DX11, they cant achieve it.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

A. PCars looks almost identical in DX9 mode. I agree DX11 is needed, but that's more for efficiency, multi-threading, etc. rather than pure looks.

B. Those pics look way better than RF2 with regards to polygon count, details, etc. etc. BUT it doesn't look "real" or "immersive" like RFactor 2 does to me. When I look at that beamer pic I feel like I am looking at some sort of photo-shopped CGI picture from some sort of computer artist, or some sort of painting that's been computerized, or a video-game CGI cutsecene pic, or a screenshot from some sort of children's mega-high budget Pixar/Disney movie. It looks amazing of course :) , but personally it just does not "feel" like real-life. It does not make my brain feel like it is true-reality, it does not make my brain feel like I am there at a track looking at a car. It feels like....well...exactly what it is....just a beautiful video-game screenshot.

So, while the graphics may be way better (and trust me, I agree with you that they are way better), that does not necessarily mean that they are as/more "real"/immersive feeling. This is why to many people RFactor 2's style of graphics still "feel" more real and immersive then PCar's graphics which are much better but makes you still feel like you are behind a desk playing a video game with your girlfriend upstairs getting dinner ready and your dog barking in the background, rather than tricking your mind into placing you inside the monitor. inside the game where you ARE at the track and ARE inside a car on real pavement, like I feel RFactor 2's graphics do so well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  20. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

pCARS doesn't look anything like that while actually driving... they add a lot of post processing filters to the "free camera" modes. I drove the Lotus at Monza and it looked like a narrow corridor with lots of bloom.