What becomes of rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickbox, Feb 14, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

True dat mate.
    ABS can be turned off though, but other than that: hear hear.
    The AI in AC cannot be topped in pure and utter stupidity. Awful stuff.

2. C3PO

C3PO Registered

In fairness to AC's developers, developing AI is extremely tough. You have to create algorithms for a multitude of reactive scenarios and for any new product it is tough. Remember ISI's AI has had the benefit of many years of development and while it is excellent now it might not have been considered that in the v early days of rF1. AC and Project Cars (which isn't properly out yet either) will continue to improve and the AI will mature with that.

3. filippu

filippu Registered

AC isn't exactly Kunos' first sim either. You can't say that rF2 benefited from rF1, and then post as if AC is the first Kunos title.

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Where is their previous AI?

5. pas74

pas74 Registered

This is the point! (kunos) if you are not able don't tell us your are the best simracing developer and bull****s like that.....

Inviato dal mio GT-I9500 utilizzando Tapatalk

6. C3PO

C3PO Registered

It's in all our interests for all sims to develop to their maximum potential...silly bickering and a silo-mentality for racing sims demonstrates a lack of being able to see the big picture.

7. pas74

pas74 Registered

This is pure hypocrisy

Inviato dal mio GT-I9500 utilizzando Tapatalk

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No it's not.

Creating a good AI is difficult and creating a good multiplayer is way more difficult than AI.
    Kunos has a long way to go with both. They will make their mistakes and learn from it.

Just like ISI is still learning in area of graphics.

9. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Why is it disappointing you ask, speaking of content in RF vs RF2. Its just the common course development usually takes. Its like building on an idea or a building . You build a solid foundation (RF original) and you take what you have an make it better (RF2).
    In this case we throw everything out we had, or in this case If you own Rfactor, but we have RF2, so won't you want to buy it since you really liked Rfactor, and most did. Now what do we have? Do we have all that great content we had before, nope. We have some. Can we convert the original material over to use it with RF2, yes but not easily. Do we have the core material that was in the original (cars and tracks) at least in the new version, nope.
    So now If I want the original Rfactor and its tracks and cars I need to have that installed as well, so basically I have 2 versions of Rfactor on my PC?
    Thats why. Am I going to stick with it, you betcha, but now hearing that ISI has 2 people working on tracks, and I'm not sure how many on everything else, and they lost a great person to boot, all I can see is one very looong unfinished road, thats goingto take quite awhile to finish.
    I guess my question still is ,where is that road going ?

10. filippu

filippu Registered

this. And no AI in their previous half finished (and I'm being nice with "half") games doesn't mean they started working on their AI yesterday. So your point is invalid.

Wow... I'll let other people explain that the sim evolved so a conversion isn't that straightforward.
    If you want old content that bad, you can learn to do quick and dirty conversions, release them, and them face this community complaining all over the place that you did a crap conversion.

11. Maug

Maug Registered

I can't tell you where it goes but i can at least tell you where it comes from:
    http://imagespaceinc.com/products/

PS: i got at least 10 rFactor install plus 4 rFactor 2 install worth a minimum of 160GB, and i'm too lazy to count all the stored files i'm keeping aside.

12. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Its not old content, its where Rfactor started, and I was really hoping that at least RF2 would be the original plus more. In other words the first tracks and cars plus the added benefit of better core content and features.
    We definately got the better core and newer features, but we left most of the great tracks behind.
    BTW I really like the AI now, but even the older AI in the original was very good.
    You know its kinda funny how some people get all bent, because a few things are mentioned, and they take an offense at it. But its just another way of growing RF2. Yes more people working on it would help as well, but right now thats just not feasible.
    I wouldn't even try a cheap conversion myself, it would be a complete waste of time, and it wouldn't be very good anyways. I realize quality work takes time and usually quite a bit of effort.
    But my base question remains unanswered, but If this quote is true then we should know:
    "You don't know where you're going until you know where you've been"

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

True Dat Brah.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's pretty much the point though. You can do a quick conversion and it won't have realroad and the road surface itself will be full of fake bumps (because that's what rF1 uses) with very little detail in the actual track topography. There are a number of areas where tracks and cars need to be enhanced in order to not only work in rF2, but to work to rF2's standard. Converting isn't straightforward, and it's for that reason rF2 can't just magically load rF1 content. If it did you'd get just as many complaints about the poor quality as you would for a quick manual conversion.

15. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

Hi! i'm new here on the forums

So lets get some things clear first.
    I started out with GTL and then went on to SCGT back in 98 which got me started with modding back when speedsims.com still existed
    Has since then bought every new title from ISI and the other ones based on their software, SBDT-stuff and so on, so im fairly up to speed
    with the titles and how they developed both from an ISI standpoint and from a modding-standpoint in general.

I hear an awful lot of talk about iRacing and PCARS, AC and even tho i sorta count myself as a ISI-fanboy i still think the only real accessible
    sim (meaning not needing to spend 9999999999USD to go racing) that gives the rFactor series a run for it's money when it comes to physics is LFS..

iRacing is 6 years old and still has no flat-spotting... i mean come on?
    pCars is just a show-boat with no proper physics-core what so ever.
    AC has AI driven by 4 year olds and has no multiplayer code, and it still costs roughly the same as rF2!

i wanna clear some things out, my 2 cents if you will.

¤ Content and why it's being focused on.
    - It's a commercial game, not a highschool project, if rF2 is gonna make any money it's gonna need content Period.

¤ rF1 content in rF2 and why it's not there.
    - How often do you see new games in which the primary focus has been to totally rebuild the content from the previous title?? ... and even if they did
    include remakes of the old tracks, people would complain about ISI spending resources on old news - arguing about this is stupid.

¤ Slow development.
    - oh come on.. iRacing is 6 years old and still has nothing compared to the real road system and still hasn't flat-spotting or rain.. and you payed how much again?..
    there are sooo many things in rF2 that has potential and the core will mature, check out the Supra and the new NSX from niels for rF1 and you'll see how good rF1 can be.
    just imagen what people like Some1 and Niels will be able to do with rF2 in time!

Yes rF2 isn't a fast boat when it comes to development but please be objective and realistic when comparing it to the other sims available..
    And seriously - No content? http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/ - Scroll that list a couple times and think again.

Now..
    with that said, looking like the biggest Fanboy you've ever seen i do still have a few opinions concerning what rF2 is today and
    what it seems the developers want it to be.

Focusing on content is something that needs to happen but if it starts to hinder the core from being developed, when there already is a decent
    amount of content already (at least for a game which aim is to be open for the public to add content) something is a bit off.

rF is superb but there are some things that i think is crucial for this game to feel modern at all, and that's the sound-engine..
    When we drive behind our computerscreens we have visual input, and we have audible input.. take one of them away and
    we end up with .. well nothing really, you cant drive without seeing and racing without hearing is .. maybe the most boring thing ever!

It's falling behind bad and it needs some major updates

What im wondering is - if we would skip one track, taking 6 months to develop, and spend that time on developing the core with some
    of the key-things that needs to be optimized and added to bring it into 2014, what would we end up with?

I know that the guys working on the tracks might not be involved with the coding of the core but in theory, im talking about reallocating the resources
    for just a period of time.

People keep bashing rF and im sick of it, but truth be told, the content core-wise already in the game needs to be polished.

im tired of typing and i need a beer - stop hating and for the love of god you've payed 40 bucks... and for most of us, it's already 2 years old
    in owning, i for once already feel i've had my moneys worth

i hear people pay twice that for some ps3 game, that they run through in 5 days and then it sits on the shelf, "nah it was ok" ..

There's a virus in the sim-community and i hate it! everyone should try and make a car-conversion or even write a simple calculator-program
    in C++ to get some insight into coding so that they can catch a glimpse of what it takes to build something like a full blown simulator.

Tim, it would be interesting to hear some thoughts about this because even tho i have the deepest respect for how you treat people
    here on the forum, constantly being part of the community (been reading the forums since rF1 even tho i haven't had a forum user) sadly
    most of the times you write it's because you need to say something you've already said a thousand times, some update with a little insight
    into what's on the table from a core-point of view would be seriously interesting!!

I assume that's why this thread was started in the first place..

Rock on fellas and keep working! -Now Beer!

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm going to be very irritating and pull out one thing you said... :)

The only way I can see that making sense (since trackmakers aren't coders) is to lay-off the trackmakers for 6 months and hire a coder or two. I'm not sure that's a good idea.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What-becomes-of-rFactor2?

It will eventually put it's tail between it's legs scared and run away from pCARS and AC forever.

:p

2 cents worth - if you cant feel what you know you like without the need to explain and justify ..................give up

18. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

Why are you even here? ... it's like being a mac-owner bashing around at some random microsoft-forum..

Oh common you know i didn't mean it like that, i was talking about a theoretical scenario, which is why i wrote what i wrote about trackmakers not being coders.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

My thoughts exactly... If I felt that way about a sim or game, I wouldn't hang around the forums.
    rF2 has nothing to worry about in regards to those two "show boats" (excellent put), AC and pC.

Not to say I don't wish the best for all sims on the market; I do, of course. Sim racing should always grow and expand as much as possible, so we can have better and better sims.
    But as far as my personal taste goes, nothing comes close to the feel of rF2.

For a rF2 community there sure as heck is a lot of rF2 bashing going on. A virus indeed, and a lack of respect from a lot of people. Not all people, but some are just here to put rF2 down, and that is... shall we say, pathetic at best. Such an impressive sim deserves better.

It's a bit sad, but yeah, what are you gonna do...

Even in it's unfinished state, rF2 is the best commercial sim on the market right now, imo. Nothing beats these physics, not by a long shot.
    Content will be expanded, like it has been so far, and features will be refined, like they have been so far. And all at a bargain if you pay 1 x life time.
    I couldn't possibly ask for more when I think about what I paid. But the thing is; I will get more regardless. And that is borderline awesome.

People who yammer about slow dev time, ages between builds and new content need to stop for a minute... And consider, first of all the size of the dev team. Second, they need to think about what they paid for this sim. End of story.

Not even the sky's the limit for this piece of sim heaven, imo.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2014
  20. François Bessard

François Bessard Registered

To make a silly comparison, I bought RF2 for unlimited time life for $ 84.99 and after two years of development, I have as much contained on AC I paid three times cheaper, with ok less functionality at the moment, but it would soon! So my question is very simple and is open only to teams ISI development, when can we get a stable release, tracks allowing us to make a complete online competition, and a simple and understandable system? Because since the release of AC my eyes have god to him only because the graphics are fantastic quality, and now it makes difficult to launch RF2! I was a fan of RF1 but I feel the wind from another direction, and I wonder if I'm alone in feeling this?