What becomes of rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickbox, Feb 14, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

rF1 had a good healthy plateau for years before rF2 was released. I'd hardly say rF1 only came good in 2011-2012 (before rF2 first release in 2012), would you? It's been out since 2005 and in my opinion, came good in 2009 at least, in terms of what mods were out.

2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

It was great already in 2007 if you ask me... Had some really interesting mods already... 08 was just even better... and so on... Then it went down a bit last couple of years...

I actually like this thread...

Many valid concerns, perspectives and opinions raised in a decent manner...
    Special shout-out to Marc Collins... Loved your small novell...

I did die here though, of laughter...

3. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Yep thats about right Tim, no I didn't mean it just got good lately, but it had quite a long time before it was really good about 5 years app. But as I said then come out with RF2 and little content and you really can't use anything from the original.
    For example take Toban, which was an original track from ISI wasn't it? A great track matter of fact, so how come ISI didn't come out with it right away?
    So If there were a list of priorities for RF2, what would they be. One thing I would make a priority, If possible, would be some sort of backward compatibility.
    I mean all this great content, you move over to a new sim engine and what do you have? To make a comparison, its like having a brand new DSLR camera, or even better a new micro 4/3 camera, but no one has come out with new lenses for it, and this has happened a few times, the only one being available with a kit lens. So you have to wait it out, sometimes though If it isn't popular enough those new lenses never happen.
    RF2 has some great things going for it, but If someone asked me right now what would be happening next, I wouldn't have a clue, or even a possible clue.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Because it would look worse than Spa does. :) First impression would be (which happened anyway)... Why buy rF2? I have rF1 and it looks better in some cases. Our older stuff still looks bad in comparison to some newer stuff.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

It would be nice to see what can happen in converting tracks when ISI converts Toban itself :)
    Maybe setting a new standard or just a showcase in what would be possible + documentation.

Do it Tim! :p

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

+100

7. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Lienz first

8. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm pretty sure ISI has all focus on the licensed content, as that's what generates the most interest. Especially as they only have 2 guys working on tracks.

9. pas74

pas74 Registered

We need Monza, Spa, Imola, Nuerburgring ...Toban can wait....
    I'm afraid about what's happening with our best modders they go away from RF2: feels3. ..Ales Ogrinc...Peclair were is Peclair??(they are free to do what they want in any case...).. in my opinion ISI should make a decision..about this situation. ..1 team dedicate only with the core physics & graphics engine.. to fix all issues .....another team with car developing. ..And another one with track modelling. ..ok they aren' t enough? ...let's employ new talented guys!!.....not enough money? Ok...let's use this forum and make a referendum with wished contents....we ask you ISI more and we pay more!!....every month we should schedule a referendum concerning tracks and car release...people will vote they prefered car or track of the month....you made it ISI.. and we pay it!!! we want official quality ISI contents for the future..... we can't race waiting the modders....I want race an official league like blancpain series...official track like Monza. .Spa. .Nuerburgring..same quality...Like Silverstone you did!! not enough people?? Ok not enough money..??Ok we are thousand people in this forum....RF2 it's still a rough diamond. ..Everything is still possibile.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9500 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  10. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

If ISI does not do something soon, Assetto Corsa is the simulation of the future.
    Very good DX11 graphics, sound indeed improved, but that makes the "moddingscreene". Physics is really very good, and the UI has the edge.

Do something or go home.

11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Kickbox, as english is obviously not your first language (neither mine, by the way) - you come across as quite rude, so maybe better to tune it down. I for one am getting a bit tired of people telling me on an RF2 forum that I'm driving the "inferior sim". AC has no content right now, the announced tracks are quite limited, the car set is bigger but also no true class-based racing... Yes, it looks nice. So does RF2 when setup right.

12. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Im sorry, but it have to change something and someone have to wake up.
    I love rFactor2 and dont like R3E. I want, that rF² is over the top.

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

In no way do I see AC as "the simulation of the future". Sim mean physics, first and foremost, to me anyway.

I notice how you mention AC's graphics first. They are nice, no doubt.
    But with the wonky physics, graphics doesn't make up for that. At all. Not to me.

The ISI team is doing something. All the time. I don't quite see your point here.

14. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

The same and old (and unappropriated) RF1 x RF2 comparison aiming to justify the medieval stage RF2 is still are.

When RF1 was launched there's nothing even close to compare (maybe LFS and its 10 polygons cars). RF1 was revolutionary, that's why it's still being played.

RF2 is only revolutionary in terms of hardware demanding and nothing else. It's silly to compare totally distinct situations like these. If you ISI guys are believing RF2 will last as RF1, even more considering the competitors you have now, sorry... you're fooling yourselves.

Unfortunately RF2 has inherited a bad aspect from RF1: hardware wastage. Just have a quick look what other games (and even race simulators) are able to do with a 780 GTX and what Rfactor can (can't)... gosh.

15. samuelw

samuelw Registered

To ISI
    People are free to choose whatever driving program they like. IMHO there are only two hardcore current sims, rF2 and iR. AC is still underdelopment and perhaps its too early to pass judgement on it but it appears to be aimed at a maket that wants a more accessible program than rF2 or iR. At this early stage I believe rF2 has physics I greatly prefer over what currently exists for AC. Furthermore I don't see that AC has better graphics than rF2 except for shinier cars. I prefer the rF2 landscapes to those drawn in AC. I have not tried PC but their physics have generated enough controversy I doubt I am missing much. Again the videos for PC do not display lanscapes that are the equal of rF2. PC vehicles are just shinier. iR and rF2 have different business models and will likely appeal to different customers on that basis alone. I prefer the rF2 business model.

So you see there are people who believe rF2 is the best. It is unlikely I will change the mind of the trolls posting in thisforum and that is not my purpose. Neither will the trolls rude comments deter the fans of rF2 because we are are sophisticated in our appreciation of the nuanced simulation offered in rF2/

thank you very much.
    Sam

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+ another 100, but too bad there aren't enough track makers to get Toban soon or to even predict when we might see the "updated" version of it.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You said it brother and I agree completely.

I fired up AC again yesterday, because I thought "christ, are those graphics really as good as it's made out to be?"

-And you're right actually. The landscapes and terrains aren't nearly as good or immersive as rF2's. I didn't feel as if I was in a racing venue. Nothing wrong the circuit itself, but everything around me just felt like a backdrop of sorts, a bit awkward in a way. The sky is.. Uhm, let me just say weird. Yeah, weird is the word. Yikes.

The cars in AC do look beautiful, but when everything around falls flat, it doesn't amount to much in my book. I've come to realize that I really do prefer rF2's graphics over AC's, as well as the physics.
    rF2's graphics are hugely underestimated imo, the amount of details and the "life" around the circuit is like nothing else. The graphics are very distinct, very unique. Outdated? Well, if they are I don't care. It looks beautiful and vibrant to me. There is more than enough detail to keep me completely immersed during a race.

It's a crying shame to be honest. I was shocked to learn the track team consists of only two people. I can't begin to comprehend the work load or the amount of pressure on those two guys. Wow. They must be super human to be able to create those tracks, in such a short time, like Silverstone. Wow. Oh, and wow.

Did I say wow? Wow.

My 2 cents...

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

With pCARS and AC we have only information from developers on what they intend to do.
    With rF2 I can see all the features and it only takes a little imagination to understand how all this will work together when these features are finished.

For me, seeing a feature in the middle of development is more informative than "we're aiming for fully realistic simulation" said by Ian Bell :)

For example - In rF2 I can see how precise real road will be in terms of number of samples per area.
    Assetto Corsa has some visual effect of rubber buildup, but it's "scripted". Will they ever go for something similar to real road in rF2? And if yes, then how will it compare? No idea. Even if they would say so, I could only take their word word it.

In all honesty, what did you expect? That original content from rF1 will magically update itself to new physics in rF2? :)
    And why is it dissapointing? You can use all that content simply by playing rF1.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The lack of Real Road in other current sims is one of the main reasons why I really can't fall in love with them.

20. pas74

pas74 Registered

In assetto corsa everything is scripted...physics included!!!..approximative ffb....every cars ...also the race cars...seem to have the abs always activated...the "A.I." beats pcars in stupidity..........yes...Looks nice during the replay session...but in a tricky way...depth of field makes everythings candy and smooth. ..but hides the lack of details of the tracks!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9500 utilizzando Tapatalk