rF2 Telemetry CSV Plugin

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by TechAde, Feb 7, 2014.

1. TechAde

TechAde Registered

v2 is now released @ http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/18286-rF2-Telemetry-CSV-Plugin-v2

It adds FFB to the CSV.

rF2 Telemetry CSV Plugin 1.0.0.0

7 Feb 2014

Requires rF2 build 382 or later.

This rF2 plugin will dump all available telemetry data to a CSV file in UserData\Telemetry. The file is named with the current date & time e.g. 20140207_083233.csv

Copy rF2TelemetryCSVPlugin.dll to Plugins to install.

On first run an ini file will be written to UserData\rF2TelemetryCSVPlugin.ini, containing a single entry:

[Telemetry]
    Enabled=False

To enable telemetry logging edit this to:

[Telemetry]
    Enabled=True

One CSV file will be written for each real-time session (exiting back to the monitor ends a session).

Logging can be enabled and disabled on the fly using the Toggle Hardware Plugins key (default mapping is G).

The CSV file generated can be opened in a wide variety of analysis tools including ATLAS. Please see the attached screen grab showing how to configure ATLAS to read CSV files.

Please post any questions or comments below.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Just curious, will ATLAS read the CSV as it is written... as in real time telemetry.

3. TechAde

TechAde Registered

No, I don't think so. Also the file is buffered so not written in strict real-time.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well even if it only reads when refreshed in ATLAS, it is still cool to be able to view the telemetry while your still on track. For example a team member at a remote location.

5. TechAde

TechAde Registered

As it currently stands I have a feeling the file doesn't get written from the buffer until you exit back to the monitor.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I never really looked closely at ATLAS but it looks like it can even pull telemetry from an SQL database. It seems the best way to get realtime telemetry would be to make a plugin that does IPC over to a standalone helper app that writes records to an SQL database and then have ATLAS read that database.

7. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I've only got ATLAS Express and the SQL Race > Connection Manager menu item is greyed out, presumably it's only available in the licensed version.

Edited to add:

From the ATLAS help...

"SQL Race requires a separate licence to run. In addition, if ATLAS is required to interact with SQL Race then a separate SQL Race option must be added to the existing ATLAS licence. There are three options: SQL Race: write, SQL Race: read and/or SQL Race: Data Distribute."

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah.. I just noticed the same thing. Darn. I've never tried ATLAS with iRacing either. Have you? Is it realtime with iRacing?

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Hmm... This looks interesting:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\McLaren Electronic Systems\ATLAS 9\CustomDLLs\LiveDataFeed\LiveDataFeedExample

10. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I have and no it's not, you load the data file after a session.

That does look interesting, will have a peek in there when I get a mo.

11. TechAde

TechAde Registered

12. cbunsold

cbunsold Registered

Thank you very much TechAde, This is a very useful tool. I know I am wrong for asking this TechAde but could you have a look at the spotter plugin from RF1 and see if it could be updated to RF2. I know you would be a hero to many people. Please forgive me for going off topic. Thanks again for the plugin I will get alot of use from it.

Steve

13. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I must be doing something wrong. I got the initial ini file, which I edited to Enable. In rFactor, I get the plugin alert, so I know it "knows" about it. The G button shows it can toggle it on and off. However, I never get a Telemetry folder for it to save to. I tried creating one, but the folder remains empty.

Is there something I missed ? I checked both the user rFactor folder and the Program files version rFactor folder.

14. TechAde

TechAde Registered

You'd have to ask the person who wrote the spotter plugin for rF1, sorry.
    Are you using v2 from http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/18286-rF2-Telemetry-CSV-Plugin-v2?

15. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Yeah. Any issues with Windows 7, 64bit ? Any other plugin needed prior to this one ?

16. TechAde

TechAde Registered

No, that's what the plugin was developed and tested on.

No.

Please could you take a peek in the v2 thread where I asked you a couple of questions?

17. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I peaked, I answered, I smacked my face with palm.