New AMD Catalyst Driver 14.1 (inc. MANTLE) - massive rF2 performance increase!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nand Gate, Feb 2, 2014.

1. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Oh well, twas only a guess. :)

2. carlos leite

carlos leite Registered

I can confirm that with the beta14.1 i have an increase of 15% on my frame rate in any conditions, was on latest driver.
    Also i noticed that my 7950 is reaching nore10 degrees on load with rf2, similar to AC, previously was maximal 65, also the gpu load went from 80/85% to 95/99
    So in my sistem there were benefits with the beta driver, about 15 to 20%
    Phenom 4 @ 4.2 + 7950 [1150/1525]
    CCC to application
    4aa:16x, Hdr, all high settings, shadows medium, reflections high
    Gp Portugal, 10 camaro in front and 10 behind i get at grid 70/80 fps, previously about 50/60

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'm assuming they made their driver use multithreading. Which if you use XP, you won't get benefit of. That's nothing to do with Mantle, just their general driver, which is probably timed to make people mention Mantle a lot in states of confusion about it, like you are, by them. :)

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So guys, it's been a week or so since the 14.1 drivers. What's the general concensus? It seemed that, sadly, most people had the best RFactor 2 performance with old AMD 12.11 + CAP2 drivers, are they still generally the best for RF2 or have the 14.1 drivers finally changed that?

Very interesting. Tim, can you enlighten us a bit on that "Steady Framerate Thresh" setting??

I always install CCC but also always make sure to kill it in the background. The 2 processes "ccc.exe" and "mom.exe" always get ended before playing any games as those 2 processes caused stutters a long time ago (and possibly still does) and I have been doing it ever since. All your graphics settings, overclocks, auto graphics settings (per application basis) etc. etc. all still work perfectly without CCC (ccc.exe & mom.exe) running in the background. Do you have proof that completely uninstalling/not installing CCC increases framerates?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
  5. Alesi

Alesi Registered

old AMD 12.11 + CAP2 drivers are still the best for RF2)))

6. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Noel you really are on something. I was try now "your yesterday finding" and is like you say. Is still stutter from time to time but a lot lot less. And when is not stutter, the image can become almost liquid fluid! And thats on mix of high-max settings. This is the biggest improvement to date for me by far, regardless of graphic drivers, build release, prl settings and so on. I almost go so far, that i start believe you actually finding the parameters that is most guilty for everyone who has bad performance or if not that, can be at least part of the problem and ISI staff should look what is hiding beyond this parameter settings. So thnx again on your great finding Noel. At least for me :)

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Are you talking about the threshold setting?

8. Domi

Domi Registered

+1. Thank you Noel :)

9. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Yup, but i don't know if this threshold is the only reason for result i get or is there also something else.

10. Emery

Emery Registered

14.1 isn't available for my 5870, but the 13.x released in December seems to have made a difference in rF2 for me & my poor 3 GHz Core2 Duo. Or it could have been completely uninstalling the earlier driver before installing the new driver. Or it could have been the wonderful article on optimizing ATI settings. Or even the latest rF2 build.

I happened to apply all those things today after having been down for over a month with video card problems, so getting the card back into action was a priority on this snow day. Getting rF2 to run better was an unexpected bonus!

The upshot is that I can run 1920x1080, level 2 AA, max detail, and several cars with reasonable framerates (50+). It has made rF2 enjoyable, though I ordered a new system anyways since I like seeing a full grid rather than a handful of opponents.

11. FatCity

FatCity Registered

Same setup here, triples on 7870 but at 4800 x 900.
    Basically same results, no significant increase in fps.