New AMD Catalyst Driver 14.1 (inc. MANTLE) - massive rF2 performance increase!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nand Gate, Feb 2, 2014.

1. JonathanBenn

JonathanBenn Registered

Interesting indeed. I've a feeling you'll be repeating those points over and over until the message gets through, Tim!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Considering there have been people saying the same since page 1, yeah, good luck Tim ;)

Have you never seen driver updates giving game-specific performance gains of 10-40%+ in their release notes?

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It depends what the change is. If AMD have made their driver multithreaded (which nVidia driver has been for 2-3 years), then the OP gains are easily attainable by a simple driver update, and will be good for just about every game out there, MANTLE or not.

4. Radar

Radar Registered

Unless it's already been mentioned, but I read that AMD will release the codes to other vendors, they didn't want it to become another PhysX flop (to a degree). They figured the more that take up the code, the more successfull it will be and easier for developers to port games to consoles (more GPU than CPU)..

I'm hoping that this is correct (what I read).

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The confusing part is some people seem to be getting no FPS change. It may still be smoother but that can be difficult to quantify.

Not sure how much the nVidia/AMD thing gets discussed there Tim, but are you at all aware of whether an application can 'get around' the lack of multithreading in AMD drivers up to this point? It seems a fairly common belief that AMD underperforms in gmotor titles, so if there has been an AMD driver change that is boosting it (hopefully somewhere near the levels AMD owners would expect, relative to similar nVidia cards) is it possible other games have taken a different approach that has masked the AMD deficiency in that area?

A lot of unknowns, I know :)

*Radar, I think Mantle is almost off-topic for this thread :)

6. MJP

MJP Registered

That's just marketing 'puff' so they can't get called out for using proprietary tech, they know there's very little/no chance of Nvidia taking up Mantle unless somehow forced to.

7. Radar

Radar Registered

Cheers Lazza. :)

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Some operating systems wouldn't support it... XP, I guess, would see no improvement.

9. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

That is exactly what I was thinking (or hoping). I'm going to test the new drivers now

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Yes, I think Tim hit the nail on the head. Multi-threaded now, and improved frame pacing. It has NOTHING to do with Mantle for rF2 improvements.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  11. N0body Of The Goat

N0body Of The Goat Registered

As in 13.12s from just before Xmas, Tim, or those 13.30s(?) from a week or so ago?

12. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Happy to hear that even AMD users now have more FPS

Me, as i "nvidia fanboi" have totally no joy from AMD cards struggeling, as better they are, lower the prices of nVidias will have to go ;)

13. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I tried setting everything to maximum in rF2, everything application controlled in CCC, using multisampling AA. I tested one AI controlled lap of Loch Drummond in the Civic. With these settings constant, there is a 10% improvement in fps between Catalyst 13.11 and Catalyst 14.1 drivers with my 7970.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

maybe the later cards are having joy then as mine sees no difference in the drivers, haven't noticed any extra smoothness either. Think I'll revert back to the last non beta driver and await the next proper one.

15. Tony H

Tony H Banned

no difference here either!

16. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Did you guys fully uninstall all AMD drivers and utilities before installing the new one? Follow this to make sure you remove everything - http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

17. Tony H

Tony H Banned

yer, I use atiman uninstaller, its the only way to get the ccc to open up after installing new drivers, and yes I do install ccc as I need it to apply eyefinity, bit impossible to get eyefinity working if ccc wont open.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yes I always completely uninstall between drivers.

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

Be carefull when deinstalling everything AMD related as i did with driver sweeper, it kills everything incl. AMD USB filter driver and even the most important in my case the Southbridge drivers as well. First i didn't realise that but my T500RS lost randomly the connection and when it was connected the FFB was still different than before, until i tought to try installing the current and most actually southbridge drivers, which to my surprise turns everything back to normal again. Just a tip, may it helps someone else getting similar issues.

20. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

If they made corrections or optimizations for a specific game (due to the survey) they would almost certainly mention that in the releases notes. It seems that forcing people to completely remove the old driver might be responsible for part of the increase, it would be a measurable repeatable increase for everyone if they had actually done something specific. Hoped this would double the number of people to race.

Maybe it's a dx9 improvement, or something that increases utilization, you would have to do tests on other software really.
    One thing is for sure it's nothing to do with mantle, ISI have not implemented it and couldn't if they wanted to, as it is only for dx11.

It is odd how some are seeing no improvement.