Just installed rFactor 2 on my new pc and it tells me i have to contact renewals. omg

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CountryWalks, Jan 26, 2014.

1. CountryWalks

CountryWalks Registered

Hi'
    As the title says: I wish I had this on dvd or something because I really do hate this activation process.
    So now I have to just wait for how long I wonder before I can actually drive.

2. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

Why don't you take a nice country walk...while you wait. :rolleyes:

3. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

And yet people are against rFactor 2 on Steam due to the rumor that "Steam DRM limits the usage of the software"...
    I hope you will get that sorted very soon :/

4. sFactor

sFactor Registered

Agreed Kalanur, I never have any trouble switching hardware with Steam DRM. I have grown to really like Steam.

5. MJP

MJP Registered

I bought the Metro Franchise Pack in the Steam sale at beginning of December and I had go through the rigmarole of receiving an email which would contain a 'special access code' that I needed to reauthorise in order to get access to my account, all because I'd changed my...

BROWSER LOL

which I hadn't changed, it might of been a different version but I've been using Firefox for years now.

6. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

That is not DRM, that is security protocol for your own good. Some people own thousands of dollars worth of software in Steam, and it is quite acceptable that Steam tries to do it's best to keep everything safe. I believe you can change security settings but I am not sure if I'd suggest that.

7. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

Me too , never had a problem with Steam , I like the buy download play system with updates etc .

8. CountryWalks

CountryWalks Registered

Well I missed all of last night races and im still waiting for this activation code.
    My mate installed the demo 2 days ago and is still using it and here I am after paid unable to race or even look at a car lol. I hope this is not the future in gaming.
    I used to use the cracked version for rfactor 1 even tho I had a licence it was just so much easier to use the cracked .exe.

Anyone know how long it takes to get activated?

TIA

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Since the team at ISI don't work weekends to my knowledge, I imagine they will get to you some time today.

As for Steam, I used to play Race07 through Steam, but after they altered the directory structure without informing Simbin, causing weeks of issues, I stopped using Steam for anything.

10. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

Oh yes, Race07 and Steam was/is a bad combination, totally agree. I still don't know how they could mess it up like that on both sides (Steam and SimBin). I hope they have learned from it and will do it better with GTR3.

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

So you are thinking that Simbin is still planning on releasing a GTR3? As much as they have said that RRRE was not GTR3, I really think that there is no GTR3 in development anymore. The way of sims and other games anymore is to release content that can be constantly updated, and find a way to charge for each little part, IE.. Micro-transactions. This is the business model being used by RRRE as well as iRacing and oh so many FPS and MMORPG games anymore.

12. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I personally think it (Steam etc)encourages software devs to be a little lazy and greedy. It is the way of the world now. More people bought a fart app than bought Jaggers last creation on itunes he said, so really why bother being creative, when junk sells just as well if marketed correctly. DLC is very rarely value for money and all too often feels like it was missing from the original software. Seems people are ok with paying £30 for a title that you finish in a couple of days, then £5 for a new level, weapon, or mod. Demand for quality seems at an all time low, all about quantity. Stupid console generation..... you kids.... stop it. It would have it seems also opened up a new avenue for cracking software, you see a lot of "steamcracked" software on download sites these days.

OP there is a file you can save to stop this in future, do a search for threads on activation I cant remember the name of the file offhand.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2014
  13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

How many times can you reinstall without having to contact ISI for another activation? I am planning on upgrading my PC in not too long (hopefully).

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Five each time, though reinstalling has no effect on your activation. Removing the activation has an effect. This means only a reformat, or a hardware change. And if you reformat, simply backup the activation data and you don't need to use any until you make a hardware change. See our FAQ page.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That's the thing, it'd definitely be a hardware change.

16. 88mphTim

Then if it's one we monitor, it would use an activation. But I would always save and try your old activation before using a new one.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The main concern is it'd not be everything at once. I'd start with motherboard and at a later date the CPU, so that'd definitely take two new activations. If I do have to move back with family due to immediate financial reasons I'll likely install it in a different machine too, so that's another activation.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just time your upgrades so that a day or two to get 5 more activations won't hurt you. (and presumably make it early in the week so you don't get a weekend adding to the delay)

19. 88mphTim

We can usually still see if that's the case. Using an activation isn't a penalty in any case. Just contact us, the hard limit isn't 5, the soft limit is.