Real F1 2014 Season - Off Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Racing Discussion' started by MikeeCZ, Jan 24, 2014.

1. osella

osella Registered

I also like the new sounds - that is onboard wise.
    I read though that the new engines are really quiet. Before turbos the engines were commonly heard several kilometres far from racetrack, now nothing. Standing close to track was deafening. Probably less exciting for people who actually visit the race :confused:

2. baked bean

baked bean Registered

At first I was not sure about the sound myself, but after hearing the tires work its kinda cool I must admit. :)

3. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

The turbine wheel is known to 'chops' up exhaust noise on just about all turbo installations...street or race.
    I've actually run my TD04-19 turbo on a few occasions without a muffler during component testing. It's only just barely more audible.
    What comes through is a much more distinct whine without the exhaust pipe.
    Obviously that's not ideal as you need some back pressure to aid in scavenging and a pipe to keep from burning everything under the car.

4. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/307936/ecclestone-lack-of-noise-needs-to-be-investigated/

9:52 – Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has said the sport needs to ‘investigate’ how to make the new generation of V6-turbo powered cars sound more like proper 'racing cars' and that they should ‘maybe look to do something’ after the opening few races.

His comments were prompted after Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) Chairman Ron Walker said he was ‘not too happy with the sound’ during the race at Albert Park on Sunday and that it was ‘clearly a breach of contract’.

“I was not horrified by the noise. I was horrified by the lack of it,” Ecclestone told ESPNF1.com. “Ron is right with regards to their contract. And I was sorry to be proved right with what I've said all along; these cars don't sound like racing cars.

“I've been speaking with Jean [Todt, FIA president] this afternoon and what I've said is that we need to see whether there is some way of making them sound like racing cars. I don't know whether it's possible but we should investigate. I think let's get the first few races out of the way and then maybe look to do something. We can't wait all season. It could be too late by then.”

Eccelstone meanwhile added that Walker is not the only promoter concerned about the lack of noise compared to the previous V8 powerplants.

“I've had one or two promoters get in touch with me today and they said how unhappy they are,” added the 83-year-old in a separate interview with Reuters. “I spoke to [Ferrari president] Luca di Montezemolo just now and Luca said he's never had as many emails on his desk complaining and saying this isn't Formula 1.”

Pressed on if the lack of noise is really a breach of contract, Ecclestone added: “I don't know whether he [Walker] has got a point. Let's assume he hasn't got a point as far as the legal side is going. Then you have to look at it from a moral side. If you went into the supermarket today and bought some strawberry jam and you got peanut butter you'd probably be a bit pissed off. It's good quality peanut butter, but he's saying it isn't what he bought.

“Whether the contract describes what he'd bought, the strawberry jam with so many strawberries, I don't know. I doubt it. I think he bought the FIA Formula One World Championship. Which is what he's got,” Ecclestone concluded.

5. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I have actually experienced everything live... I've experienced Ayrtons Toleman from 84 in the streets of my hometown, I've experienced the maddest 1993 041 3.5 V12 Ferrari the same place... I know what I liked most... The V12, hands down! Both were driven hard, no soft-footing.

But actually it is not as 'intimidating' as the 00-05 V10's... I experienced those on 3 occations... 2000 at A1 Ring, 2002 and 2004 Hockenheim. Nothing beats it. When you hear it trumping towards you kilometers away and you know it's coming... And then when it's on your straight, but you're still 500 meters away from it and you can just here it coming for you, hauntingly... and then it climaxes just before it passes you... Nothing like it. No videos really do it justice but I've found three who sort of depicts the soundscape slightly...

Sadly the FOM producers are cutting to 'the next camera' slightly too fast, you don't experience the surge, the climax quite as it passes, because they cut too soon...

Melbourne 03

Austria 03 at 0.28- 0.29, you get that "you're 500 meters away and it's just coming for you..." sadly there's corner in the way, so you never get the climax, but you get that around the lap elsewhere for example 0.16 to 0.20...

Monty Indy 04 - 1.08 !

The most intimidating and impressive soundscape is these cars...
    The melodic and beautiful soundscape were the diverse very late 80's or the early/mid nineties with expecially the RA121/2E Honda V12, the Renault RS V10's and the the 035-043 Ferrari V12 engines The Chrysler Lambo V12's don't forget! HB's were sounding good in that era too...

Then there are the jokers, the BRM W/H16... Classic Ferrari V12's of the 70's... so on...

Think about it... 04 was the pinnacle of the sport... It'll probably never get faster... It was just epic... Engines had gained good reliability (they had to last a weekend (two weekends the next year) and still pushing towards 20.000 RPM 19.500 I think was regularly seen. Epic engineering, epic spectacle... I'm so happy I've experieced it live and with 20-22 cars at max... A funny note, the Honda engines in the BAR cars were actually the loudest of the lot...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

So they might go for an artificial solution to make it sound more like F1 cars.....that's...I dunno.....artificial. why not add small water tanks at the rear wings so that you get those vapour trails?

I know I sound naïve, like F1 is all about racing an not marketing but at least give us the option to pretend its about racing. this is just too obvious.

7. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well, this year F1 is more like a Technology Laboratory for road cars to have more efficient power units in future, so GP2s are more pure for racing...
    But in 70s and 80s F1 was trully about beign as fast as possible with available technology, than they started to ban everything and now all cars basically look the same because the regulations dictate how the cars have to look. how many wheels, how far from each other, how wide the car is, how tall, what is the shape of cockpits cut out, what is the room for driver in there, where is the front wing, where is the rear wing, their sizes and angles.. its all dictated. Very very few room left for differences in between teams.

8. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Ecclestone is a troll, and especially now where he's being sidetracked...

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

A brilliant piece on the new days of Formula 1:

http://www.darrenheath.com/season/2014/australia-2014/blog/sound-and-fury

"I'm not one to harp on about the past and have no desire to return to simpler times - pipe dreams of returning the sport to some misty-eyed, wildly romantic vision of the past hold no interest for me - rather I prefer focusing on the here and now and where Formula 1 is headed.

(...)

Of course I – and so many in the sport – are aware that change is so often resisted in all walks of life, but it really was about time that Formula 1 woke up to the realities of the modern world. Those tweeting, texting, blogging, commentating and newspaper-writing endless negative sentiment can continue to bury their heads in the sand; that’s their choice.

The rest of us will be happy that in one area at least, the world’s premier motorsport category is finally leading from the front
    ."

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm sure the racing will get so much better now.
    Instead of every driver just flooring the throttle exiting a corner, they have to be more careful because of the crazy torque, and this will lead to more overtaking opportunities.

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Said the man in his blog....

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

In montmelo 100.000 people came every year to see alonso after his titles. HOW DO YOU THINK THEY TRAVEL?

enviado mediante tapatalk

13. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

[​IMG]

14. Led566

Led566 Registered

IMHO 2014 SOOO MUCH BETTER!!!
    High revving V8 (and for the matter 3500 V10) high pitch whine is like a denstist's drill trying to make a hole in your cerebellum.

15. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

People are MAD!

3.5 V12, sounds so terrible!

No it doesn't... much better, miles better :D

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Well that was pretty boring today at Malaysia. Now more then ever they seem to calculate their ways from start to finish being restricted in so many departments.

I liked how Massa ignored the team order though, that's exactly what he needs, the f*ck you attitude :)

17. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, unfortunately the F1 has in my eyes nothing to do with motorsports anymore.
    Just save fuel, save tires, save engine....., where are the fights wheel to wheel?
    Massa did right, if his teammate is faster, why he didn't overtake?
    They all have to wait for their "GO" from the pitwall. Poor F1.
    And the Sound of the engines is a joke for F1.
    In my eyes they have to sound loud and aggressiv, as they were years ago, when i saw them live at Jerez, Nurburgring and Hockenheim.
    And when i get sentimental, i listen to this :):

Formel 1 Sound 1

und

Formel 1 Sound 2

18. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

19. Jamie Shorting

20. Jamie Shorting

Poor Maldonado