FMOD internal sound engine - devs, please check this

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by BerScott, Jan 9, 2014.

1. BerScott

BerScott Registered

Hi devs. I think it is noticeable that rFactor 2 sound engine is still by far out of date and old. Almost all racing sims use actually FMOD as internal coded sound engine and I think the sounds of some actual racing games speak by itself, I will no mention which.

I will write some points about the huge advantajes about FMOD:

• WAV file management
      -Small wav files management.
      -No need to go in wav editor.
      -You are able to make a long loop.
      -When you save the fsb file you dont have 100 wav files laying around, its all in one file.
    • Effects
      -Possibility of add effects on the fly.
      -You have live effects over the whole rev range control over what happens when on thorttle and off throtle.
      -Adding effects: get compression, EQ, etc.
      -Dynamic sounds: dynamic slip sounds, engine sounds, etc.
    • Exporting/Importing
      -It is really easy. If it doesn't sound good ingame, just import, edit and export it again.
    • Interactive sample editing
      -You can hear everything without needing ever to go ingame.
      -You can set the rpm values for samples you made, then get them ride using a pitch slider to match them all up perfectly and set the rpm values for samples you made (like Simm Anuuk engine sound editor).
      -A lot easier to set up the crossfades between samples because you just drag and drop.

FMOD has the internal engine for game developers and a free editing software for users. You can check the web for more info and sales info, I think it is the most interesting part for rFactor developers.

Just to clarify, I'm not member of FMOD development or marketing team. This is just a huge wish that some modders have and it is the only weak point of rFactor that could be really improved.

Regards.

2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Interesting and +1

3. roby13

roby13 Registered

4. boern69

boern69 Registered

+3

I have 2 points in add -> nothing to do with sound but what could be improved in rf2

A:
    For me RF2 is unplayable because of its cpu and gpu power needed - even the graphic improovement is not breathtaking at all
    but this has been discussed 1000x already

B:
    the combination of mods was a big point in rf1 ->it was bad compared to gtl or gtr2 because of the configoverides in rfm file
    and some backfire problems -> this caused the situation that a lot of peolpe were doing a lot of big mods (more quantity than quality stuff)
    because most of them did not manage to drive different cars (mods ) together on all tracks.
    In gtl gtr2 for e.g. you simply can concentrate on making one car good (quality) because all is running together "isi" lol

I am not sure if rf2 makes this better but I fear it does not :confused:

5. BerScott

BerScott Registered

Some examples with FMOD engine sounds:

6. internality

internality Registered

7. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

How much does a dev have to pay to license that sound engine? and Miles?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  8. BerScott

BerScott Registered

And how much does a dev have to pay for license Nissa, Lotus, Indy or F1 cars? don't you like them? this is the same kind of investment to improve the sim.

9. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

They were valid questions. Whether I like or don't like certain content is irrelevant.

10. BerScott

BerScott Registered

@lordpantsington so what's the problem with the investment of FMOD? I've heard the most wielded argument "ISI is a small development team". Are you worried about ISI money? Kunos Simulazioni is a small development team too and see them last announce: they will use FMOD.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It is not our decision to make though ;)

12. osella

osella Registered

Reaaaaaaally doubt ISI would consider this this late in development stage.
    Of course it would be nice though.

Some say I'm a pessimist, I consider myself merely a realist...

13. BerScott

BerScott Registered

Just want to push this suggestion a bit more to open it to discussion and make devs remind that it still is and interesting feature to add in the (close?) future.

Never is too late, mate. I know we need to be realist, but it is not than hard to port the old sound system to the FMOD, in fact FMOD offers lot of facilities to make sound banks. ISI has done some physics modifications before and asked the modders to modify their mods, same has happen when AC added the FMOD system.

14. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Well, what other sims use FMOD because the sounds in AC are ass.

15. BerScott

BerScott Registered

Forza Motorsports, pCARS, Need for Speed... to mention few of them

16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

The only sound I would be interested in replicating is that of Raceroom. In my (and many others) opinions the sound there is genre leading.

But to be fair, I think the sound here is pretty good.

17. Remik

Remik Registered

+10000 ;)

18. Promag

Promag Registered

There is more warmth and spectrum in rf2 than in other sims, I don't know why but the sounds in ac are very thin sounding, even the ones that are tolerable. Even mods with same dev the sounds in AC sound extremely compressed and very thin. Does FMod use a compression codec, because rf2 uses a wave file, which is pretty close to lossless. Wonder what codec they use with fmod?

19. Minibull

Minibull Member

Who knows what will happen. They have talked about a sound engine overhaul at some point, like anything in the sim that is up for updating and reworking.

Seems you can still get some pretty great sounds with the current system, just depends on the samples and the work of the sound engineer. I love the Howstons sounds, they sound bloody great to me. With a bit more work and more features to the sound engine, I think it would sound great. I'm talking about things like trackside sound tweaks, distance sounds from the cars, maybe new features for backfires and misfires or something.

Or as is said above, the alternative is to bring in some new technology which can work with the old system, so that mods and old cars don't get broken. As ever, good things take time lol XD

20. Matt A

Matt A Registered

Totally agree. AC sounds leave a very empty feeling when compared to RF2, and are blown away by R3E. What RF2 has is great imho. Much better than a lot of others :)

I think it should stay as it is. Use those resources on more important things.