AMD GFX card performance issues, report directly to AMD here (link in thread)! Let's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Guys just fill out this quick survey to report all the horrendous AMD graphics card performance issues in Image Space Incorporated's RFactor 2 DIRECTLY TO AMD! Takes 2 minutes.

- http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B4F

NOTE 1: Make sure to always select the most recent driver (currently Catalyst 13.12 Beta as of January 14, 2014) under "AMD Catalyst Driver Version" as it says they will only investigate issues pertaining to the very latest driver version "Note: Only issues affecting the latest driver release will be investigated."

NOTE 2: Under "Type of Issue" it states "If you have multiple issues, please submit one bug report per issue". So if you want you can submit multiple reports, for eg. one under "Application/Games - 3) Poor Performance" and then another selecting "Eyefinity/Multi Monitor - 4) Poor Performance with Eyefinity Enabled". If only submitting 1 report then it's probably better to just choose "Application/Games - 3) Poor Performance".

For me, I selected the following:

- Graphics Card Model: "HD 7970"
    - AMD Catalyst Driver Version: "13.12 Beta"
    - Driver History: "Fresh System Install" (was going to choose " Driver Upgrade: Problem DID Exist In Previous Version", not sure which sounds better, maybe we should try to do both)
    - Operating System: "Windows 7 64 bit"
    -Type of Issue: - Issue: "Applications/Games"
    - Symptons: "3) Poor Performance"
    - Is this a CrossfireX configuration?: "No" (obviously choose "Yes" if it is)
    - Don't check any of the listed games
    - Other Games/Applications: "RFactor 2"
    - Describe the Issue and Steps to Replicate: The following is what I wrote:
    "Horrible frames per second and general performance regardless of driver version, regardless of graphics settings. My single HD 7970 does not even perform as good as an old NVidia GTX 570!!! Almost every single user of RFactor 2 has reported a HUMUNGOUS difference between NVidia cards and their equivalent AMD card's counterpart. AMD 7000 series, 6000, 5000, even the new new R9 290/290x, don't even come remotely close to their equivalent Nvidia 600, 500, 400 and 700 series counterparts. For more info, and many user's experiences and benchmarks/comparisons please view the following thread (more details start emerging as of about page 4): http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16951-R9-290-or-GTX-770-4GB/page4"

- Fill out whatever rest of the optional info that you wish.

Maybe we can finally get AMD to listen! I really love the cost to performance ratio of AMD cards, I don't want to go to NVidia just because of RFactor 2, but if I have to I will. Come on guys, this is probably the only way to make our voices heard, let's get together and do this!

Again, the link is - http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B4F PLEASE SPEND 2 MINS TO QUICKLY FILL IT OUT

Also, here is the link for an RFactor 2 thread on the official AMD forum http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=170565&enterthread=y. Someone mentioned that AMD doesn't really read these forums (therefore at the very least fill out the survey), but feel free to post there if you'd like.

EDIT: POST UPDATED WITH LINK FOR DRIVER 13.12 BETA

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  2. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Good initiative!

But personally I think that problem its not on the AMD side...

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I personally think that there is no way that this is a 100% ISI coding problem and 0% AMD proplem when the game happens to work much, much better with NVidia hardware. The difference is just too abnormally large.

4. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Yes i believe that its not 100%/0% too because with older driver AMD improve a lot but even with that ones they are VERY far away from Nvidia performance and I never ever saw any ISI dev coming here and explainig why this happen. They are developers and I'm pretty sure that they know why this is happening.

Btw another good thing to check its the quality between 12.9 drivers (hope i'm not wrong in version) and the most recent ones because we have performance comparison but we don't have any real quality comparison.

5. Domi

Domi Registered

Done, although I also think the problem is not AMD... but well, better than nothing.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

This older thread, one post by Thanny sums up my opinion.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=169544

ISI coded on NV cards, optimised for NV cards, because that is on their PC, sent code to NV, NV advised them (or maybe sent code back, who knows).

I'll fill it out, but not sure how much good it will do.

7. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I thought I read somewhere that Nvidia was always at their disposal when they needed help or questions answered whereas with AMD it's pretty much "We'll get back to you". And the way I read it it wasn't even "we'll get back to you" because that means you actually talked to someone. lol

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

that's a big assumption knowing what ISI have in all their machines....

it's obvious nVidea work with developers more than AMD, just peruse other more technical forums and you'll see that. Still I'll fill out the survey for what it's worth, be interesting to see if AMD get off their arses!

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Actually, this may be indication, that problem is 100% on ISI side :)

...or not.

This is not something you can judge from outside.

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

The only things I remember that have been said are like the posts above. It seems nVidia are "keener" to "help" with their drivers and cards and actually work with the developers, rather than AMD seemingly not bothering to do so.

11. David Wright

David Wright Registered

NFS Shift initially ran badly on AMD cards. AMD did update their drivers but it wasn't until SMS/EA released a patch for Shift that the frame-rates on my ATI GPU PC literally doubled.

I would welcome a fix whoever it comes from. Even on low settings with one car rF2 runs at around 30 fps on my PC. It is a key reason I have only tried the demo and not bought the full version.

12. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

It's been said that 12.11 are better than 13.12?

Anyone tested which are the best drivers for rF2?

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

As far as the version of the driver, I would think that anything other than the full release version would be an issue for getting things done. AMD is very likely to say you are using beta drivers and some issues are to be expected, but I could be wrong.

14. sFactor

sFactor Registered

Do we know for a fact that ISI has reached out to AMD through proper channels? Mantle program perhaps?

It is really frustrating to not really hear any official word from ISI what the problem actually is?

Does ISI know what the problem is but are still looking for the best solution or are they still struggling to locate the root cause?

Are they developing "entirely" on nVidia cards internally? If so, why?

We can speculate all day long, what I would like is an official statement from ISI on the matter. I read mostly "were working on it". Whatever that means.

Lets stop dancing around the elephant in the room. A straight up no BS statement which requires ISI owning first off this is a real problem. Who's problem it is I am not qualified to say.

Riff

15. sFactor

sFactor Registered

Possibly, but if they get reports on the beta's they can implement changes to it. The released version not so.

16. sFactor

sFactor Registered

For academic purposes this is all fine and good. As a workaround not so much.

This then borks the ability to run other "current" games that pretty much force you to run the latest drivers. I think COD Ghosts and Possibly BF4 are this way.

Fun being a beta tester.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Like I said, it was my opinion. Unless you are talking about the quoted post. It does make sense.

I am using 13.12 WHQL drivers, still there.

Post #100 by Tim Wheatley
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16951-R9-290-or-GTX-770-4GB?p=223712&viewfull=1#post223712

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Regardless of who's fault it is I really hope all you out there viewing this thread at least fill the quick servey, it's the least we as gamers/consumers can do (link to survey/report on post 1)

19. drako90

drako90 Registered

Well, I sent the message to AMD. :) Anyway, I think AMD not listen. :(
    Obviously, the performance in this game is ridiculous. (AMD ATI users)
    I have a R9 280x 3Gb Tri-x OC, and rFactor2 is the only game that gives me performance problems.
    This is my graphics card: http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/GraphicCard/11221-08-40G?SearchFacets=category:Graphic Card
    I play with all on max, except antialiasing "level 3" and sadows level medium... (Resolution 1920x1080)
    At Lime Rock Park, I have 20 fps in the starting line with 20 cars.
    When the group of cars is stretched in one or two laps,
    my fps are between 25fps to 70fps. The frame rate is completely unstable.
    At Silverstone, I have 12/14 fps in the starting line with 20 cars. Nothing more to say. :p

My System:
    - Windows 7 pro 64bits and windows 8.1 pro 64bits
    - AMD FX-8350 @ 4Ghz (8 cores)
    - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 (Latest Bios version)
    - 8Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz (CL9)
    - Saphire R9 280x Tri-x 3Gb OC edition
    Etc, Etc, Etc...

Sorry for my english :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  20. Led566

Led566 Registered

Your configuration is more than able to adequately run rF2, just like mine (FX6300+7950), so:

1)
    AA level 3 is the worst looking and the worst performing, try to use level 2 or level 4 (better looking and faster).
    Put Reflections on "Off" (this doesn't mean you wouldn't have reflections at all, reflections will be there, only the reflection map will have a slower update, most of the time you will not notice the difference).
    2)
    Go in the .plr file and change "Transparency AA" from 1 to 0.
    3)
    Now you have more than 60 fps anytime anywhere, put Vsync = software for better fluidity and no lag.

That's all.

4)
    Come back here and let us know how you're doing.