Software Optimisation

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Diogo Quaresma, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Diogo Quaresma

Diogo Quaresma Registered

Hi guys.

Well i think rFactor 2 will be the ultimate simulator. With the dynamic weather, tire deformation and other futures, it has everything to be the best simulator around.

Although all this is pretty cool, i thinks ISI is failing. They need to optimise rFactor 2. It's horrible on graphics if you don't have a super machine. They need to optimise the graphics asap so it can run good and with decent fps on lower PC specs. I think ISI is losing some clients due to this. I know the last build brought huge graphics improvements but it's not enough.

So i thinks it's time to focus on this part of the game and put it together so people can run rfactor 2 without fps problems.

Cheers.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

My thoughts exactly

I fear that ISI are thinking that in another couple of years everyone will have better hardware but I fear by then it will be to late, rfactor 2 will have lost it's target market for various reasons.

Certain car-tracks are workable and truly incredible but overall as a package is below par when comparing to alternative simulator packages.

The rate of progress could be referred to as "a lack of progress"

(Not bashing etc ...just my thoughts)

3. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

It would be nice to have nativ 64-Bit support. Other Games like AC and PCars have 64-Bit implemented. I think most people have 64 Bit Machines and Vista or newer. There are a lot of people in the communinty who whish a 64-Bit exe.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

AC is not 64-bit (see attachment), not sure about pCARS. In fact very few new games are, iRacing being the exception. Also I doubt it would improve the performance any significant amount, although one thing it would help with is to go past 4 GB of memory usage. I have a feeling that some of the CTD's experienced lately with rF2 are due to hitting the 4 GB limit, especially with high-texture mods such as the Civic.

View attachment 11375

5. Diogo Quaresma

Diogo Quaresma Registered

The truth is that the game it's not good in terms of performance. I'm not talking about the people with high spec machines, but guys with medium spec machines.

And if we count the fact that the beta was release a year ago it should have better performance. The development it's really slow and i believe ISI is losing clients because of that. People are getting tired of trying to race in this simulator and can't because they just don't have the fps to do it.

So i think ISI should in fact start horrying about in optimise the software... But this is just my opinion...

6. coops

coops Banned

I agree with the above FPS needs work and im sure it is happening with each build. Don't forget as they implement new features it will always have some effect over a few builds. But we all have to update sooner or later to keep up with the modern sims, games. We cannot expect to keep running new stuff on old out dated pc's. So I think its a bit of a catch 22 situation. Work from ISI and us to keep up with some new hardware as well, is what is needed from all parties.
    Also 64 bit should be a must, dx11 would be nice but then how many ppl would complain then about having to update there hardware.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Iracing 64bit dosnt seem any different to the 32 bit version to me, they both run equally well.

I have wondered if rf2 is simply a test for ISI's other main projects for racing teams etc (which perhaps are providing the main revenue etc) & this community is providing some of the feedback etc

Some things in certain builds seem to get better just to get worse in the build after etc

If there are a team of 8 to 12 (is this correct? ) then most of them must busy on other stuff that isn't rfactor 2 ?
    Just based on rate of progress that's all -of course I could be wrong as I don't work in software.

It could be that the main software core / engine is simply not capable of being efficient
    (comparing to other titles like Iracing or AC which pretty much "fly" on my PC ) & development time is long winded and tiresome for the team who have done to the best of their ability to get it to work the best they can or they have it (the software) pretty much working the best it can.

Anyhow I'm only guessing, I could be wrong, just my thoughts & just being honest etc but I am starting to find myself becoming less excited to the point of uninterested in future build(s), at the rate of progress I don't think many will be interested in a few years time.

8. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I have exactly the same thoughts - I get the feeling that either the team is too small for this project or have other priorities. It seems like they are not capable of optimizing the software because they would have done it by now if they could.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Problem with this theory is a racing team sim doesn't need 90% of what we're getting - weather, half decent graphics, mod/track installs, etc. The progress that has been made, even taking out the graphics completely, is either a passdown of better technologies they've developed for commercial purposes or is purely for rF2 - because professional sims don't need it.

10. filas

filas Registered

I realy like/liked the game, but fps are realy bad compare how rf1 runs on my system. I dont say its not playble, but framedrops (strange slowdowns). Tim said new cars/track better graphics, you need to lower your details.. (so game looks worst then rf1 and nowhere near same fps) Yes, but its not really fun finding/tiping wich cars/tracks runs good, and changing details for every race neither.. I was saying to myself, that it will be better, but I m done lying to myself 2 years in a row.. Maybe in future with new PC.. Q6600, 4GB, 460gtx. GL sory for my eng.

11. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Tim said the truth. More tris, more textures, more texture resolutions, more effects, more post effects, a weather engine, HDR, more stuff to render. This needs more power on your machine to run at max quality. I'm not saying we don't need to optimize anything..but you can't really ask to much to a 8 years old CPU and a 460GTX with probably 1GB VRAM and a cheap architecture. It was the same with rF1, at the time we didnt have proper GPUs. I remember me moaning with myself because my old GT8800 wasn't able to run a full grid on Spa and I had to reduce A LOT core graphics to get a solid 30fps...;)

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I myself as a modder would require some advise of how to optimise tracks. IMO this should be a temporary fix. I think several things are useless and fps eaters. For example LOD or shadow detail.

The graphical engine for a racing game should take into account that everything is repetitive. The first time you drive a lap everything is new to the engine but next laps everything will be the same as in previous lap. I guess it could help saving several calculations of what needs to be rendered and how should it be rendered.

enviado mediante tapatalk

13. filas

filas Registered

for now I dont play full hd, so it should compensate a little :) but anyway I now that my pc is outdated, but if I a take for example league in rf1, where I run, around 20 stable players and if 5 of them have better pc than me, its much.. (dont mind that im geek and i cant tweak a lot of thinks to get better performance) :). In some circumstance for me RF2 can run well, but sometimes its horror. I can get from 150 - to 30fps - to much spread. But as I wrote, I give a chance for two years, but its stay almost same in this regard (no atack my view) so for me the game goes to ice, until better optimization or until I buy new pc, lets see if anything of this happen :)

14. Tuttle

I've a good PC and I can run almost everything maxed out at a solid 60fps with 20 cars on triple. Not saying we don't have to optimize, but hardware is important. If sim racing is your passion and you like the title, just update your rig. If you're waiting us optimizing the title to run perfectly (visually and performance) on your low end rig then...well...you're probably asking for a miracle. :)

15. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I think it is ok the way it runs. Meaning that its ok that it is demanding and requires a high-end PC to get the best out of it. But I think that the graphics you get out of it are just very poor. Jaggies everywhere, disappearing shadows, disappearing drivers and bodyparts during replays and race ( Especially the new demanding Civic ), bad LOD optimization resulting in funny looking cars, flickering lights, flickering textures in general, poor lighting that only looks decent in early morning or late evening. Very big FPS drops now and then etc etc. What im saying is - fine by me that it requires high end pc IF the graphics are equally high end. They are not.

Btw - are weather engine and realroad calculated by GPU? Just curious.

16. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

Yesterday i run Nords with 20 AI's and my gpu ram was complete full (2023 MB used). Today i will check this with 10 AI's to calculate what i need for a GPU to run 29 AI's (currently CTD by choosing 29 AI's), or in the future when ISI raise the maximum AI to 50 / 60 or more ? 6 GB Geforce Titan ?

17. filas

filas Registered

Really? Lowend? Then you should update this..

Runs Best With
    - 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2 or better
    - 4GB RAM or more
    - nVidia 250 GTS or ATI/AMD 4870 or better
    - 512MB Video Memory or more
    - Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit, Windows 7 64bit
    - DirectX 9.0c (included with installer)
    - 2008 C++ SP1 Runtimes (included with installer)
    - 4GB Hard Drive Space or more
    - Internet Connection
    - Steering wheel and pedals

System Requirements
    - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 or 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon x2
    - 2GB RAM
    - nVidia 8600 GT or ATI/AMD 3850
    - 256MB Video Memory
    - Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
    - DirectX 9.0c (included with installer)
    - 2008 C++ SP1 Runtimes (included with installer)
    - 4GB Hard Drive Space
    - Internet Connection

cant imagine how it would run on this better :)

18. Tuttle

19. filas

filas Registered

you got me :D

Runs Best With /RECOMMENDED MINIMUMS (will run well, may look better with better hardware)

anyway it looks like if we cant run it aceptable on runs best, lets make it recommended minimumus :) dont want to say that anyway my pc is better than this..

but hey, I dont want to argue, as I seen in many games treads, that criticism isnt welcome. Only thing I get from this is that I need new pc.

20. Tuttle

Constructive criticism is very welcome but the point is what you're expecting from the game and your rig.

if your goal is to keep the same performance and visual quality/system ratio you were getting with rF1, running 20 or more cars on a full detailed track then you need a new hardware. I mean getting the game maximum potential available on a proper machine, capable to manage the amount of resources asked to the system. Of course you can't ask rFactor 2 to be the same as rF1 in terms of system requirements to run at full quality and I'm sure I don't have to explain why. :)

It is easy to understand; Software and contents developing grown with Hardware, years after years.

After said that, as I already said in previous posts, I'm not saying we don't have to optimize the game but a GTX460 on a Q6600 can't run 20 cars on a track with everything maxed without hitting some physical hardware barrier. No Way. ;)