Game Controller Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steampunk, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Steampunk

Steampunk Registered

Hi rFactor2 racers, I'm new to the game and looking for advice on what game controller I should get. My Budget is about $200 and looking for a decent wheel, shifter and 3-peddle combo. Granted this is going to be a low-budget entry but I need something to get me going. I don't mind buying used and from what I have been able to research the only game controller out there at this price point WAS the Logitech G25. The G27 looks like the successor to the G25 and goes for about $275 if you shop around, a little high for me so the question is what else is out there that would be a good starter setup for rFactor2? I looked at Logitech's Driving Force GT but no clutch - that is where I have to draw the line, I do want a clutch - otherwise I would view rFactor2 as a high-end arcade game losing much of its' sim potential. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give this newbie.

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

For your budget, your only real choice is to spend a little more and get the G27.

that said, at this point the clutch in rF2 is pretty much useless.

3. Steampunk

Steampunk Registered

Thanks Guybo, is the clutch useless because FF sux (can't ride the engagement into gears) or is it because of peddle pressure (or both)?

4. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

5. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Gearbox/clutch model isn't fully implemented yet in RF2. btw very few shifter/pedal combos have any FFB or can block the shift when mismatched revs etc. The most you can really hope for is hitting a neutral (and noise) when you get it wrong, RF2 doesn't do this at the moment.

6. Steampunk

Steampunk Registered

Thanks for the input kaptainkremmen and link Steve, looks like maybe G27 is my only close option.

7. Steampunk

Steampunk Registered

One quick download question. I installed the "RFACTOR 2 CONTENT INSTALL" Build 382 Dec 19, 2013

Contents come with Core, plus a selection of cars/tracks, incl. + Pace car.
    The Cars are Corvette C6.R, Marussia MR01, Renault Clio.
    The Tracks are Lime Rock, Malaysia.

Are the cars and tracks included in Build 382 the same versions as are in the separate mod downloads or should I download those as well to get latest updates?

8. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I would THINK they should be the latest versions, but not sure. Hopefully Tim will see this and give you an answer.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The demo has the latest versions of the cars and tracks within it right now. So you only need to download the ones not included in that installer.

10. Steampunk

Steampunk Registered

Thanks Tim, that's what I thought so grabbed everything but those included in the installer :)

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I bought a G25 for 160$ last year. I'm not sure if the guy even used it twice.

12. coops

coops Banned

check ebay

13. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Not really, no. First of all, you can play other sims too with a clutch.
    Then, it's not useless at all. I've enjoyed driving with rF2 with clutch pedal and the Thrustmaster shifter *a lot* more than with the Driving Force GT alone.

True about the FF issue though.

14. Steampunk

Steampunk Registered

Yep, eBay G25's bookmarked.

15. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

16. Steampunk

Steampunk Registered

I think that about sums it up, or find a deal on a near-new G25 which is probably impossible.
    The ones I have seen are priced pretty close to the G27 which is interesting as the G27 clearly has some further refinements.

17. Jason Kinchington

Jason Kinchington Registered

Hi mate I got a g27 look around u could pick up a cheap one
    I used to have the dfgt wheel what I thought was very good ok never had 3 pedals or gear shift but thought the wheel was a hell of lot better button wise.

The reason I brought my g27was wanting clutch pedal and gear shifter, I like the shifter makes things more real but mainly use paddles now in rf2 just for ease of use.
    In AC u need the clutch and it forces u to use shifter or paddles depending on cars, nice feature

18. Steampunk

Steampunk Registered