Build Release Notes 382 announced ``soft particles in UI`` - what does this mean ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GauchoRS, Jan 4, 2014.

1. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

I asked this some minutes after build 382 was released and many other members asked also in the thread, but an answer never arrived...

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/17571-rFactor-2-Build-382-Released
    This is an example of a buld note information, which is not sufficient to understand what was introduced.

PLEASE, give us more details informations about ``soft particels`` (oFF, level1, level2) and have this in mind for further build notes.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There was a hook introduced into the UI to set particle settings. I would have assumed it obvious, if not I apologize.

3. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Wow - that was helpful. Thx

F3n3k likes this.
  4. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 Registered

soft particle from the hydron collider , "where are these particles ? how will they appear ? " (oFF, level1, level2) which is not sufficient to understand, hook introduced into the UI to set particle settings, what was introduced and have this in mind for further build notes.
    Wow - that was helpful.
    "I would have assumed it obvious, if not I apologize."

5. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

rf2 detailed info: google search

F3n3k likes this.
  6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'd actually be interested in knowing what soft particles are as well and what the different levels do. What will I see on screen that is a soft particle? I read something on it before but when I got in the game, what I saw was a lot different and confusing.

Would a lower level of soft particles represent lesser QUALITY or lesser QUANTITY of these things?

7. 88mphTim

He's asking what those lines mean, as was answered. If he wants to know what soft particles are, or why the option was replaced, that would be something different. And granted we don't do a good job with that info.

8. 88mphTim

Maybe if I gave an answer he didn't want, he would get a chance to correct me on my answer without feeling offended, or offending me. His post does not say what you're saying without reading into it and/or making assumptions. I haven't seen the context in the build thread to help with an assumption. I'm sure he's a big boy and able to ask or correct me himself if I got it wrong.

I only know what it is as far as smoke, fog, mist, etc. No idea where they will end up in the options and what effects will be tied. My inadequate post was just about as much as you'd get out of me, even if I assumed and read into his post what I thought he might be asking. If I had read it a few times, made an assumption, I'd probably not have replied at all - as I can't answer what you're saying his question was.

Lesson learned, thanks for the insight.

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I believe most of us didn't know that it covered these materials. It replaced the old option for Sun Occlusion and I thought it did that effect but in a different way- but instead it is something altogether different. So what does Special Effects cover now because that used to be tied to smoke, fog and mist (tire mist in the rain anyway)

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Someone at ISI presumably knows what they are and what the levels represent. Yes, a brief explanation should have been in the release notes. Since it wasn't, the only way you can be helpful, Tim, is to ask the person/people who do know and to give here the proper explanation that should have been in the notes, but was left out hopefully just due to lack of available time.

Regardless of whether all the rest of us read the original post question in the broader sense and you didn't, you should feel safe to assume that most of us would like to know what options do; how they do it (i.e., if there is a selection/choice) and as a real bonus, whether certain settings should affect FPS performance in any significant way.

Every user ignorantly fumbling around with settings trying to run experiments to figure out what things do and the performance impact is incredibly inefficient and extremely poor customer service. As I said, assume going forward that a full explanation is desired for every feature and function, so feel free to start an online manual and/or properly detailed release notes.

And this is hardly the first time the question was asked...it just may be the first time a dedicated thread was started for it. Had it been answered already the other dozen times it was asked, we all wouldn't be having this conversation here.

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Stop bothering Tim and just guess what it is. Jeez...

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

lol... hey, at least we get the answer somewhere, right? ;)

I notice too, the OP has taken the time to link to the original question, quote it again here, and ask for more information as well. One of those questions is finally answered by a link to NWN, while the first question (does it replace sun occlusion) still goes unanswered.

For what it's worth I think sun occlusion is a very different thing; I would say it's been removed as an option (always on) and instead of now having a blank space in the UI the soft particles option has been put in there.

Assuming the NWN info is correct this should be a good option, reducing/eliminating the ugly 'seam' you get where smoke/dust etc intersects the track.

14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

This setting must be why when I tried an offline race at Lienz recently, that the dust kicked up by the AI on the start line brought my system to a crawl. I had about a 10 second slide show after race start- but by then I had already been passed/hit by most of the field. Luckily with AI I could keep hitting escape until I got a start that I could work with- where half the field passed me but no one hit me.

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I have had the exact same problem you describe there. I had to give up on Lienz altogether because of the slide show.

16. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Can't say for sure because I'm not able to check on my pc, but have a look in the player ini file. If I'm not mistaken sun occlusion is still there and turned on now by default since it was taken out of the UI.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah it's still there in the PLR but 0 by default

18. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Soft particles are simply a heavier version of "hard" particles, but they dont create sharp lines in spots where they interpolate with other objects, typically ground, it creates a lot more realistic effect than having the particle texture simply cut like with scissors in place where it reaches thru the ground, instead of that it creates a smooth graduation into transparency

EDIT (heavier in game industry means more HW demanding)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
  19. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

just going back to this:
    Sun Occlusion="0" // If true, sunlight is affected by cloud cover

setting this to 1 makes no difference so my theory is it's now obsolete.

Changing Soft Particles to OFF however (from HIGH) and I see no difference or FPS changes :confused: