feature: Wind noise

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by realkman666, Dec 17, 2013.

1. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Seeing that my historic pace car suggestion received tremendous support, I thought I'd suggest something more: variable wind noise. This is one additional feature that would add much immersion for me, every sound being gradually drowned out by the building of speed. Is that something that can be modded in if ISI is not interested?

2. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Could I rig a fan to the PC and have the rFactor2.exe output control the fan speed? xD

4. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

I agree , listen to GSC in the open wheelers the sound of wind belting past you adds so much to the sense of speed .

5. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I bet, with a little thought and a very few bucks, we could rig up a spray bottle to better simulate wet weather in open cockpit cars too.
    :p
    Just kidding.

I really like the wind noise idea. It would be nice to have that. It is in Rise of Flight, FSX, TES, and more. rFactor 2 must not lag behind. We need this!

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

And then once wind is actually implemented into the game, it can vary the sound depending which way your car is moving relative to the wind direction. Plus variation from wind gusts, etc.

7. Hectari

Hectari Registered

I'd really like control over wind noise too, that way we can make it feel and sound as viscous and violent as it really is at high speeds. On my bike over certain speeds I can't even hear the engine/exhaust note at all for the wind noise, the engine screaming through gears up to 15k rpm is totally drowned out, extreme wind noise at high speeds would really add to perception of speed in rf2. Especially since I use realistic FOV with a single screen so that I don't have a distorted view of the track, i'm sacrificing some of the sense of speed I could have with a larger FOV, it's a trade off but that's my preference and anything else that can help with sense of speed is very welcome.

Don't see why a fan can't be ultilised to give feedback based on the speed of the car, a powerful fan on a swivel/slider to direct airflow relative to the yaw of the car through corners would be a great addition to tactile ffb. It's something I really really want, but is more practical when the oculus rift is ready to take over from current set ups, the fan can take the position of the monitor/s.

The intelliVIBE TFS3 is something i'm interested in buying to try, seems like it works well to give a sense of Gs. Maybe the actuators from the unit could be used solely to represent the speed of the car. Though not sure if it's powerful enough to give a useful range of forces from 0-150/200mph or so. Anyone have any experience with it?

Edit:

Found this about the TFS3, seems promising:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

9. Hectari

Hectari Registered

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

But road and wind noise build up with speed. It was already in rF 1 and is in rF 2.

11. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

External road and wind noise would be good for trackside cams:)

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

And they are (although maybe they still might need some tweaking) :)

13. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Gran Turismo players have the whole vaccuum cleaner simulation and we have to endure a simple whoosh that I barely notice? Not fair!

14. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Look like there's not enough doppler effect in the road noise.
    You can here some with the EV Toyota.