Why Do YOU Enjoy Sim Racing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Pretty much my thoughts as well..

2. Capeta

Capeta Registered

Because Racecar.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Because laying on the floor and playing with toy cars as an adult would look silly. Simracing looks a little less silly.

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

Not really, just ask everybody you meet in life, if he/she knows simracing. I'm sure the majority will lough at you and me, the more when seeing the equipment in your living room. I'm sure it looks silly for those. I can give you an example because i worked for a very long time on cars and meet many privat driver where i ask everybody i was intrested in but 99 % don't know and just smile about.

5. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

Social, technical, visual, audio, competitive reasons.
    Any moddable sim with a proven history & dedicated dev team gets my money.
    I don't watch TV so the immersion factor rules.
    Too old to be hooning on motorcycles anymore and its far too dangerous & expensive these days.

6. Galaga

Galaga Banned

LOL. True, but not by much. I don't even bother trying to explain sim racing to anyone. I just say videogames and leave it at that.

7. osella

osella Registered

This is a tricky question.

I noticed a rather bothersome correlation: the more money I spend on simrace related hardware, the less time I spend actual by simracing :confused:

I played the most hours when I owned a 19" lcd and used momo for 50$. Played for several hours almost every day. Now I have 1000$ projector and pretty much highend PC and drive about 2-3 hours a week. Accident or not?!

Guess the obvious answer to the question is that I can't afford real racing and this is the closest substitute. But as I get older it gets harder and harder for me believe in it, it's still so far far from real racing :-/

8. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

That's what it is anyway. If you take yourself too seriously, you end up like the two bozos from ISR.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Great home hobby,

Can race without the risk of death

Thanks

10. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

It is the only online play I can really be bad at, but still have a chance to pick up a point or two in a series.

Seriously though, I don't get into online shooters, though I do play some in SP. I'm just a target in online flight sims, so I rarely play them online either. But race sims, as long as a driver is clean, there is a chance to do well, even if they're not super quick. Plus, I can always find opponents online that are running laps around my times, so while we may be at the back of the field, we can have just as much fun as the aliens up front.

11. Tony

Tony Registered

:D ..jeez real sad when Jessica left though, only reason I watched it really :p

Edit: forgot to put why I enjoy simracing -

Quick history: '97 with Codies' Toca & Toca 2, then GPL, then Colin McRae 1/2/3 & 4! & RBR.. Then Geoff Crammond's brilliant GP2/3 & 4.. & then rf1 & rF2

Always considered myself a "bit of a racer" ..yea - what a turkey!

Still love it now in our league racing group - seem to quali near the back of the grid :( ..but make up shedloads of places in the race - mainly by finishing the race. Race duration is usually 35 laps/1 hour

Like others here I don't bother trying to explain what my hobby is to anyone - they never understand & just make polite noises ..stuff 'em, lol

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  12. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Here gjon showing her the size of his anti-roll bar
    View attachment 11160

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

LOL

Gjon's the man, wish we heard from him more. Interview videos, articles, etc.

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I love sim racing, because just watching races aren't enough for me, and I haven't enough money to race in real life.

I actually started playing racing games before I watched any racing on TV: F1 World Grand Prix I & II for the N64. So cool!

Soon after I watched my first F1 race, Melbourne '99, and I was forever hooked on all racing. I was hypnotized all season long, racing on my N64 between the F1 races.

Then I started getting into other games in the racing genre, like Gran Turismo 3, Richard Burns (oh God how I blow at rallying) and the TOCA games. Various F1 games too on the PS2, especially Formula One 2001.

Racing games on the PS3 began frustrating me enormously... I tried my luck online with the F1 games and not least Gran Turismo, trying to race with the stupid gamepad. I was going nowhere fast.

Then along came mr. Super PC and a G27 wheel, and the lurking sim racer that had hidden inside me came out into the light. I've finally found my other passion in life, besides my beautiful wife and my music.

To answer OP's question...

I enjoy sim racing because it brings out a side of me that is usually pretty well hidden. A side of me that makes fast decisions, bold moves, a side that's brave, one that wants to win at all costs but still in a fair way.

I enjoy it because it is completely endless. A lap is never, ever perfect, and I know that there is always more time to gain somewhere on the track. The joy of finding that little extra time is beyond words.
    I know that when I one day can afford a new wheel and some good pedals I'll be even more in control, and gain even more time.

I suffer from manic depression and anxiety, but simracing really brings some very good things into my life. When I feel disconnected and miserable, a few laps in anger can make me live a little again.
    Racing against other fast and fair drivers online is wonderful as well. Racing side by side, pushing each other to the limit, and having a laugh about it afterwards. Awesome.

15. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I like to pretend I'm a race car driver.

16. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

I'm in the same feelings as you. I raced hard in Arca Sim Racing. I even beta tested a couple games. Maybe I just got burnt out. I don't know. I'll get in and torture myself once in awhile in an open server once in awhile haha. I am trying to get back into hardcore again but has been tough. Maybe I am addicted lol. I even invested in a cockpit(Richmotech DIY) and a G27

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup
    Beautiful. I feel the same.

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

In my working life I'm a System Engineer for servers and storage systems.
    I love it to work with complex systems and to discover all the magic secrets and play with the variables to see which config or setup setup will works best under certain circumstances. In a racing simulation you can compare this with the challenge to develop a car setup fitting for dry and wet conditions with enough performance to drive stable and at the same time competitive times.
    On the other hand since I was a kid I like fast and strong cars like the most of us :) but also to get things working in a pc enviroment.
    Last but not least deep in my heart I'm a racer and I search and enjoy (of course in case of not catching my goals then not) the competition :)

Racing simulation specially with rF2 is the best way to merge this interests in my free time because in rF2 are permanent things to discover and I can do this in a familiar enviroment.
    The enviroment is dynamic in every sense. In every race session I learn and discover new things and due the strong and active community there is a huge amount of inputs and ideas of things I can try or test and if succesfull use the learned to implement and improve my enviroment (or myself :D )

thx for racing
    Merry Christmas ISI and communitiy
    alex

19. Justy

Justy Registered

I enjoy sim racing because I can set up an AI race with the clios and beat the ISI devs at their own game. :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

20. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Ha ha, +lots