Why Do YOU Enjoy Sim Racing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, Dec 15, 2013.

1. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

One topic that has been floating in my head for a while is "Why Do I Enjoy Sim Racing?" and I just wanted to put my thoughts down, so I decided to make it my next Blog entry.

http://cfsimracing.blogspot.com/2013/12/why-i-sim-race.html

I also just wanted to ask the community as to their opinions on why they enjoy this hobby we all have in common.
    So, Why Do YOU Enjoy Sim Racing?

2. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

I´m a masochist, that´s all:rolleyes:

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well Will, for me,it has become a habit. That's all.
    Played for years now, always wanted a playseat and a good wheel. Now I got that, nice to my taste and now.......after 10 minutes driving.....I just quit.
    So; it's a good question and when I think about it; I really can't say anymore.

Jus this afternoon I ordered a new game online (not a racegame) so that illustrates the whole thing. (Nice timing with this question btw ;) )

4. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Damned if I know...I regularly get humiliated, spend hours preparing for the humiliation, spent a small fortune to be humiliated yet...I keep coming back. Today I was rewarded with a second place in a league F1 race, my slow, steady, consistent style paid off at Longbeach in these fragile cars, and I left the race feeling happy and with a sense of achievement.

Those moments are rare, but when they happen I am on a high. That I guess is why I do it, that and the great mates I have made. The right people, the right car, the right track and I am a happy bunny, even when I am at the back there is always hope, the leaders may feck up, someone may have messed up their strategy...So many variables.

Why do I sim race? Because for some reason I cannot not, is the best answer I can give.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Love for racing + love for multiplayer competition = League racing.

6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

'Cause I love being shouted at!

7. William David Marsh

^ Then you must LOVE Call of Duty ;)

8. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Because I better enjoy it.

9. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Registered

It's an itch. I have to scratch it, but it doesn't go away.

10. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Because I love doing track days and sim racing is a good way to keep up the the practice in the off season, as well as trying tracks and cars I will never get the change to try :)

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

*shudders*

12. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

I was not born in a taxi for 5 minutes!!! ;) The taxi driver ran everything that he could for arrive to hospital and this should mark me for life. ;)

13. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

It's currently the best way for me to go fast cheap, keep fairly 'sharp' and not get busted with speeding tickets.
    Petaluma...huh! practically neighbors. Near Old Redwood Highway?.

14. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

for me its the competition of racing and always trying to better my lap times, you can always go faster! Than it's the enjoyment of driving in a manner that I couldn't do otherwise. That pretty much sums it up for me

15. TMoney

TMoney Registered

Because it's a lifelong dream of mine to drive a race car on a track and this is the closest I can get without spending a **** ton of money but still get my fix. Sorta.

16. EzyEllis

EzyEllis Registered

I like watching it on tv now and then, So I'd thought I'd take the next step and get a lil sim setup.. I enjoy the communities within sim racing.. Social Fun and a neat little side hobbie as i cant afford the real thing.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Because once you do it in real life, it becomes like a drug. Nothing can give me the same high and satisfaction except for sex.

My mind thinks about different ways of balancing cars on the limit, and trying different things with my technique and setup all day, it just runs through my mind constantly, like girls.

It's not something I like, or love....it's simply just a part of me.

18. William David Marsh

Well since I'm still a virgin, I think racing will just be fine for now ;)

19. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Whoa, tough question. The answer changes for me from time to time. It has always been an addiction since I started sim racing. RBR was my first sim so in rallying it is very much about focus, reaction time and car handling ability. Competition was also very engrossing with RBR as was the fear of death and andreline that came with both. Rf1 was somewhat similar in that I loved the rally cars and tracks. Consistent with the rally mentality I was always seeking new and unfamiliar tracks and combos for that adrenaline rush. Eventually, I moved to road circuit racing, Historix and DTM combos. I still constantly craved new combos, however, eventually becoming bored with a given combo after a while. Rf2 changed things dramatically for me as I began to study vehicle dynamics, driving techniques and sttategies much more deeply than before in large part because I believed the more detailed physcis both offered and demanded a deeper understanding and much more practice. The more I learned and practiced the more I discovered and could spend weeks with a single combo onky to yearn for more time before moving on to the next track in the league. Now I am entering a new phase where I am concentrating more fully on meditational aspects of focus and relaxation like I do with playing classical guitar and tennis. Using sim racing this way complements the rest of my life very well as it is a renewing activity. Combining this memtality with spending more time offline also gives me more control over my satisfaction with sim racing. While I can easily lose myself and become immersed, it is not required. It is very much a performance focus so AI become more of an opportunity to explore new lines and car handling techniques instead of ruining my experience if they are not perfect, etc., etc.

Anyway, thanks for the question. I've been procrastinating writing this up and you gave me a reason. :)

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I flew gliders and single prop aircrafts a lot with the raf when i was in my school years (raf combined cadet force) with the plan of joining the raf as a pilot. I also chose to go to university first and in my second year i suffered a brain haemorrhage from an arteriovenous malformation. Joining the raf no longer became a possibility for me due to the fact i had the haemorrhage. Some time later, i tried rf2 and discovered the same sense of enjoyment i had when i was flying with sim racing and also with the few rounds of karting i have tried in the past 2 years.

No racing-sim/game i previously tried had ever come close to striking the same chord as rf2 did (the very first time i tried it and still even today) with what i excitement and enjoyment I received out of general flying and aerobatics.

For all of rf2's (on-going) faults that many complain about (though i should add in my opinion rightly so as they need to be addressed), the core experience of this driving/racing simulator is simply second to non.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013