Rain Effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grubby, Dec 12, 2013.

1. goerekt

goerekt Registered

they were/are working on it from time to time but didnt find a solution whick works for all kind of cars etc. they are still looking for a good overall solution. i guess it will take at least a few months to see rain effects.

2. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Could be a 'chicken and the egg' situation there.

Is there a lack of interest because rain is a low design priority (i.e. not well implemented)?

or

Is rain a low design priority because of a lack of interest?

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Chicken Egg hey

Ask any rookie doing Spa BT20 damage open rooms if they lack interest in rain.

lol :)

4. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Why do you think every other server is empty when there is a populated Monza server. There's always alot of "we want rain" talk but in the end nobody uses it cus in most cases people can barely finish a race on a dry track, let alone a changing condition one. It's probably only usefull for leagues anyway. I've tried setting up a server on my PC a couple of times with wet conditions (which I stated in the title) and the only guy that shows up is the one in my Steamlist who I invite :p
    It's a sad fact but there's only a very limited amount of people who would love for servers to put in some rain, but it never shows up :(

//edit Just to make it clear: I hate the fact that it's this way. People hate on iRacing for being static and all that stuff but every server I see on rF2 needs to have a million laps of real road and no rain just so it stays static and people don't have to adapt to anything. And if you don't have the easiest combo with lots of rubber nobody drives cus it takes an effort. I'm actually suprised the F2 Silverstone server is populated this much so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1 Mr.T

I do not give opinions anymore besides asking for F3 no damage again I would be a troll.

F3 with rain is okay too.

6. Bart S

Bart S Member

Tim is right, most people if they want a quick race or dont have much time will only ever race dry/sunny conditions these conditions also only apply to drivers wanting to set fastest lap times/records.
    Racing in the rain is for the elite, patient, more mature more sim orientated driver, sure it can be fun for the noob too, spinning and drifting and trying to catch a slide but the noob will quickly get bored and go elsewhere when he cant make it round the first corner and spends more time off track than on. This is where the dilemma lies, to be good in the wet it takes time to learn. A wet track setup is usually very different to the dry setup due to the difference in speeds especially round corners, building a setup takes more time than people have at the time. So yeah wet racing is really only more for league use in general.

@Jamezinho I believe it is a catch 22 situation, performance of the simulation is something alot of people are always complaining about, if you add rain things get slower and nothing iritates people more than loosing a race when fps slowdowns are a factor. If they can rectify dry/rain and day/nite fps slowdowns more people will be willing and accepting to these conditions.

7. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

It's impossible to implement in a public race anyway since there is still no randomization function. If you'd put it on an ISI server now you'd know after 2 races pretty much exactly at which point it would start raining which makes it just as irrelevant for adding randomness and excitment about what might happen.
    Don't even know wether the rest of the weather like humidity and wind is working or implemented or not, I've never really felt like I had to chance braking points for wind direction so probably not but who knows, I can only guess :)

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Noob? Really?

Anyway... One of my best ever online multiplayer simracing experiences was racing in some league in F1 Challenge with a 2006 mod (based on RH05)... Not 100% sure about the name of the league, I think it was fgw... It was a race in Shanghai, I wasn't the quickest hotlapper because I didn't practice that much for races.
    In that 40 laps race it started raining in the middle and it stopped again... Somehow I managed to win that and it was just epic with the changing conditions, dry lines and all that... I've always loved racing in the wet and I have missed it A LOT in rFactor 1... So of course I'm eager to have the possibility again... But for now it's not much better than what F1 Challenge offered... Hence why I'm wanting improvements and has been wanting them for 8 years, taking rF1 into the equation.

About the framerate issues... I can't grasp how such an underwhelming, outdate-looking graphics engine can be that FPS hungry... I think it's nothing but terrible performance and seems extremely un-optimized. And it's been like that for 2 years... I just wanna qwai, lol

9. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

When driving around alone in the wet it already feels great. But ISI need to FINISH it... slow down the drying process (racing line should not dry in heavy rain with only 3 cars), optimize the rain spray, add raindrops to windshield/visor and aquaplaning. It's a bit frustrating that they don't prioritize this so it gets finished instead of adding one feauture/effect every year or so... I mean, it should not take them too long to create some windshield raindrops effect if they really wanted to. IMO they seem to be moving around too much and adding random stuff. I'm not telling ISI how they should do their job but that's just how I experience it.

Driving in the wet felt good already when I first bought rf2, when it was still beta, and it was actually more enjoyable than now. I even participated in an 1h online wet race with Brabhams @ Brianza. Of course rain spray is important but the most important is to have a track that feels wet and looks wet, raindrops and a track that do not dry too fast. Now we have rainspray but instead a track that is drying way, way too fast.

Btw, I don't think there's lack of interest. I think many leagues want to use wet weather but how can they do that with this unfair up-speeded drying process (driver in the lead will have crazy aquaplaning and the guy in 5th place will have a almost dry racing line), and not to mention the bad fps with rainspray? Same goes for public servers. I hope ISI finish this soon, and they can use wet weather for their official servers sometimes. But then we need some kind of random weather function.

10. osella

osella Registered

This is one of the big rf2's problems and why I honestly hate rf2 at the moment.

Rain in present version is so broken it would be better to completely remove it imo. Look at AC, one of the reaons it's received so well is that they don't put in anything that's not 100% ready because they know it WILL put people off and they will criticize it hard again and again again.

Graphically the rain in rf2 looks just appaling, at least the rainspray, the actual rain and foggy atmosphere is nice but the rainspray omg. Edit: oh and reflections actually look great, have to admit. I don't believe those windshield gfx and wipers are so hard to implement, just don't.
    Physics wise the racing wet line behaves absurd.

I almost hate myself whenever I post so negatively about rf2 but what can I do if that's how I feel. I hate unpolished things, unpolished things are fun to TEST but never to actually PLAY/DRIVE and thus immerse for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  11. Bart S

Bart S Member

Thats where a testers build is needed which is not a general public release test build. I agree in a way but if they take it out I'm at a loss more than benefit I just dont race in the rain if thats the issue, I think its time to apply real world drying line time etc driven from track temp, weather conditions, sunlight and no of drivers passing the section of track. With my experience I dont feel its truely dynamic but if the word from the horses mouth says it is who am I to argue. Lets see how this goes with realtime physics regardless of graphical raindrops on the windscreen / track, surely ISI have gathereed enough data with speeded up drying line by now to normalises it. Right now it is so rediculous racing in the rain is unrealistic and requires to much calculation. Lets normalise rain next build, build after that refine visuals for certain cars like clio megane gtr etc., build after that implement game/application wide.

We know the techs there it was there 3 year ago just put it in already, an bloomin get off your slow dev behinds and start getting things in faster, I truely dont see this rfactor2 finished before start 2016 am I really being unrealistics if those wet weather videos are wip 2010 ingame visuals look worse.

God bless you all at ISI but please get some more talented staff in, you really do need it. Get this game near finished before your other competition starts honing in, you really will make your money back faster than you can say "theres a hole in my bucket dear Liza." It took 8 years to get man to the moon from the first maned space launch now that still seams like an acheivement of a lifetime but rfactor2 had its features announced nearly 4 years ago comon. I don't want to annoy you guys but you need a rocket up your ass. 2 more heavy programmers 1 more main graphics guy atleast.

Merry Christmas

12. coops

coops Banned

give me wipers and rain on windshield id love to drive. it wont be EASY but will be bloody FUN learning.

13. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

+1 Yippie Ya Yeah :D

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Wipers are working, we just need rain that looks and I dare say feels like rain and not long straight grey lines falling from the sky and coming through the roof of the car...

:)

15. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Indeed tjc... The stripes worked 11 years ago in F1 2002... One would expect something else 11 years on, right?

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Right.

I dare say it`ll get there, maybe just not high up the list... :)

17. Bart S

Bart S Member

Cats and dogs are the new rain.

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Mmm... might need stronger windscreen washers then... :p