Camera movement in cockpit view.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamesowen, Dec 10, 2013.

1. JGraf

JGraf Registered

Exaggerate Yaw: helps simulate visual G-forces that are imposed on the driver thru steering inputs, directional changes.
    (why this setting provides both positive and negative values eludes me)

Head Movement: G-forces when throttling and braking, to simulate the visual sensation of thrust and dive, not to be confused with cockpit vibrations.

Speed Sensitivity: this controls steering input speed, the higher your mph/kph the slower the input reacts, this will not make you feel like your going faster.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks for the explanation on the exaggerate yaw, might this explain the 'pendulum' effect I tend to experience with the Marussia at times at high speed direction changes?

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh, helpful post JGraf, I often wondered what these settings did.

4. JGraf

JGraf Registered

you can probably get the combination of the settings so wack you will feel drunk, most people i know turn everything off or 0 for a lack of understanding the purpose.
    i like it to a point, but it can be too much.
    start everything at 0 and test, one feature at a time to really know how it affects you.
    test lowering those cockpit vibration settings in the player.plr
    not all mods are created equal, some mods will shake your face off, presets in the mod cockpitinfo.ini file also limit how much you can reduce some things.

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Yes, yes you can.

6. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

Hi there,

ever since then I also had some difficulties to get myself used to the vibration in cockpit view. Finally I found a suitable solution that fits my needs in a GTR2 section of a simracing forum:

### PLR-File (commonly known, I guess) ###

Code:
    [ Graphic Options ]
    Vertical FOV Angle="35" // 34=use default, otherwise is the FOV for attached cameras (horiz is calculated based on aspect ratio)
    [..]
    Cockpit Vibration Mult1="1.00000" // Primary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file) (Default Value: "1.00000")
    Cockpit Vibration Freq1="1.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates) (Default Value: "31.00000")
    Cockpit Vibration Mult2="1.00000" // Secondary vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file) (Default Value: "1.00000")
    Cockpit Vibration Freq2="1.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation (Default Value: "37.00000")
    [..]
    Head Physics="0.05000" // Fraction of head physics movement applied to cockpit view (position AND rotation)
    [..]
    Exaggerate Yaw="0.00000" // Visually exaggerates the heading angle of the vehicle by rotating the head (which may improve "feel")

### Individual vehicle .cam file ###

Code:
    LocalCam=COCKPIT
    {
      [..]
      OrientationRate=([COLOR="#FF0000"]7.000000[/COLOR], 999.000000, 999.000000) // -- defaults to: OrientationRate=([COLOR="#FF0000"]999.000000[/COLOR], 999.000000, 999.000000)  // Low numbers cause jitter when you're spinning
      [..]
    }

If it would be possible for the ISI staff to implement a In-Game slider for this 1st value (here the pitch value as: 7. 000000), that would be great. It is reducing the world movement tremendously giving me a "more realistic" cockpit vibration. And my eyes, especially the right is really happy about it ... :)

Cheers
    Frank

7. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

This is one of the easiest things to experiment with and confirm in simracing...and yet, so many get it wrong.
    If you don't want to get stopped by the cops or look 'silly' wearing a helmet in your own car on a spirited drive.
    Just go to your local outdoor Kart track and run a few hot laps.
    The stiffness due mostly to very little flex is representative of how most race cars feel.
    The lack of roll is quite similar and eye-point reference is spot on.