rf2 - why is it so dark?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tjc, Dec 8, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

LOL. Sorry but there is so much wrong with that photo. The purple mountains, the lens flare, etc. If rF2 looked like that, we'd never hear the end of it.

2. Duvel

Duvel Registered

that photo is like a star trek scene when they try to show they are on another planet, just completely mental and out of this world.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  3. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Please Tell us your Own vision then - much more interesting than hearing what it should not look like :)

I would like to know what you guys are aiming for. are you inspired by other games like AC or GT or you aiming for something completely different in the visual department? :)

Edit. Question is meant for isi :)

4. Duvel

Duvel Registered

i know you meant tim, but i think they have most of it on point as it is right now, the colour, etc, its just the actual lighting/brightness level is way too low. That's my opinion at least, coming from someone who has calibrated screens (but way higher than 120cd/m2 when i game) and has done a lot of graphics work over the years.

5. 88mphTim

Is this a real question? If so: Walk outside, take a look. There's a lot of back and forth to get something like that done, and we've had plenty of that back and forth.

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Easy; balancing the GFX on the highest level available with our own system, out of the box, with all tracks and all cars. As we released different contents (both cars & tracks) during the GFX improvement/development - we need to conform all this stuff on the same level, removing as much as possible most of the incoherence between them, in terms of lighting and overall color palette. This is something expected when you work on a evolving product. Is the dark side of the moon...:)

It needs just a bit of time to be completely sorted out and will require more than one simple update to conform the entire platform (core GFX, HDR pipeline, HDP profiles, Cars & Tracks). :)

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

@Duvel:
    These are sunny day examples on mostly clear skies, during the late Summer in the early afternoon with the sun(set in northern Italy/southern Switzerland). rFactor 2 currently has a good blue hue for the sky but it lacks the brightness and clarity that comes from the lighting.

View attachment 11107

View attachment 11108

View attachment 11109

8. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I have several F1 recordings on my hd and they all look horrible desaturated. There is a big difference between the tv cam output and how the world looks like with your own eyes.

A good example how it should look like (in my opinion ;) ) are the trackside videos @ youtube.

And btw the green keepers at Road America are top notch! Looks like an golf course. :D

9. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Yes of course its a Real question. Thx for kind of answering :p

10. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Kind of, haha kind...

11. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

View attachment 11111

12. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I don't get this when people say lens flare doesn't happen to our eyes so no need to add it in the sim... flare most certainly does happen in real life when driving into the sun, it is produced by the windshield. It doesn't have the same look as it does in a camera but there is a flare there.

13. coops

coops Banned

Remember its a sim we want realism in all aspects. Not some arcade crap with bad physics ffb and eye candy that don't look real.

14. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

+++++++11111111

15. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

And with all that dirt in the windshields, the effect could be amazing.

16. liebestod

liebestod Registered

This can open up a visual distortion can of worms, though. Your eyes focus past your windshield in reality but unless they do DOF or some kind of fudging it can be super annoying when there's a big dirty windshield that's as visible/focused as the road past it.

17. 88mphTim

One of the most vocal complaints has been against the windshield being difficult to see through. You might face a tough crowd with that one, if anyone notices what you're actually asking for.

18. PMC

PMC Registered

I'm guessing the fact that the sun emits 93.000 lumens per mtr and the best screens emit 2.5 lumens per watt ,(sorry was the best I could find data wise so you can work that out,) might make this hard to simulate. Maybe get a thousand watt halogen and hang it behind your screen .

I totally agree with the windscreen effect when the sun isn't directly in your windscreen(your view) ,but the shots are all external.

EDIT: Screens will never be bright enough to make you physicaly squint your eyes when facing the sun (Too many blind kids). So the best is either a white out or a compromise.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2013
  19. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

The tough crowd can **** off and mod it out. It's very immersive.

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

That is another reason I love my CRT.. It can get BRIGHT. [​IMG]