rf2 - why is it so dark?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tjc, Dec 8, 2013.

1. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Isn't the flare on the glass quite different from lens flare? To me it seem like windows get hard to see through since the glass itself gets illuminated, and all the dirt and such gets lit up as well.

2. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Questions on this topic: Will the game eventually take date AND time of day into account when computing the ambient lighting color temp and the sun path across the sky? And will you somehow be able to set the date for the session? I know there is a static "Race date" .gdb parameter in the tracks, but I never noticed that it had any effect. Or maybe it does?

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

It is, but I can't tell if people don't want more dynamic lighting because they would have to adjust to it or if they just think having a lens flare effect in your eyes is dumb. I'm all for realism.

4. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I suppose you do make a good point about the lens flare effect in your eyes, but that should be a much more subtle effect than the commonly popularized lens flare in photographs.

Anyway, I am excited to see what changes will be made soon about the brightness and such :)

5. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

It shouldn't look like that, but it seems there's some resistance from people who refuse to believe that the sun should prevent you from ever seeing properly. Go outside, people!

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Lens flair should only happen for track cams.

And yes a sunny day should look EXACTLY like that.

7. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

wHY is tHat?

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Because Track CAMS are representative of actual cameras used to film races. So they would actually have lenses to flair, drivers eyes wouldn't. That said the other around car views could all be GoPro Hero 3's and therefore have lens flair as well.

Speaking of which why do ALL the camera's including swingman use the FOV you set in-game? It can get really annoying how they are all shared.

9. tjc

tjc Registered

On the lens flare thing I`d say have it for cams as cams have it in reality... our eyes do not so no need to have it for the drivers view.

I agree the sun should be strong and affect vision when it`s low in the sky and unobscured by cloud etc.

Imo all that`s needed is to follow reality. Mother nature has all this stuff worked out... Tim, drop her an email... :p

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Photoshopped and totally unrealistic. What is that purple color on the left hill?

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Agreed... not the best example of an unedited, natural sunny day scene imo...

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Maybe it is, but It is so beatiful!

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Cmon guys...are you really suggesting us how to use our own eyes? ;)

As already said, we know the issue and we'll work on it.

Cheers.

14. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

You managed a good improvement here but the picture is still strange since the sky colour has nothing to do with the light intensity... it's missing a bloom effect over the pure blue.

rF1 also had a very weak light, it looks like Sun has half of the power.

15. tjc

tjc Registered

I don`t think anybody meant it like that Tuttle, of course you guys know this stuff. We`re simply discussing it. :)

16. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Thank god... I tried to address this on the FB site (dusk vs (weak) midday)... and wasn't met with any acknowledgement at all...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  17. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yeah no problems with that, but that picture is the proof everything in the visual compartment is judged by subjective perceptions and limited (or enhanced) by the physics of the light knowledge. The same picture is beautiful for a guy and it's PS and unrealistic for another as there are guys asking for realistic lights and other complaining about over exposures, as for solid blue skies all the time VS white skies when facing the sun...and again de-saturated colors VS vivid colors...etc...

When the reference/sample is a picture almost everybody is right and wrong at the same time; the picture is not the reality and the same situation can be shot twice producing different outputs on the entire range of parameters, just changing camera, or lens, or shutter times, or filters, or the in camera post processing (RAW Vs Jpg) etc. ;)

One thing is for sure; we need to fix the default set of HDR parameters to get a good and balanced look out of the box. This is where we're sharing the same goal, I guess. :)

18. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Any fixes on that matter in upcomming build? Or the one after next one is the target?

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

It looks like a need for speed game. Enough said.

20. tjc

tjc Registered

Very well said and I completely agree... I do a little photography myself so I understand what your saying on how things can be/are perceived differently by different people and how changing a lens, shutter speed etc can alter how the end picture looks.

We are indeed. When you guys manage to get this done I think it`ll improve how rf2 looks to many people and make the sim look fantastic out of the box.

:cool: