rf2 - why is it so dark?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tjc, Dec 8, 2013.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Hey all...

I`ve been meaning to post about this for ages now but just never got round to it. (I`ve not been able to drive rf2 as much as I`d like this last few weeks)

I`m wondering why rf2 seems to be so dark?

The shots below were taken from a session starting at 8:30AM... the shots themselves were taken about half an hour into the session so probably about 9:00AM, sunny day with some cloud.

Original shot:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it looks very "dark" for that time of day.

Edited shot:

[​IMG]

All that was done to "lighten" the screen was a levels adjustment in PS (that`s why I put the lighter screen in the Edited screens forum originally)

I find that I have to give about 90% of the screens I take in rf2 a levels adjustment to look right... I usually just don`t bother posting the screens as unedited (for me anyway) they just don`t look right and look as though they need a levels adjustment.

Why does rf2 appear to have sunglasses on all the time as that`s what it looks like to me...

I`ve calibrated my monitor and don`t seem to find this with any other titles or games I`ve played.

Do any of you guys find this with your screens? Is it a rf2 problem or is it something to do with my monitor? (Samsung SyncMaster P2450 1080p)

As I don`t experience this with other games as I`ve said, I`m tempted to think it`s a rf2 problem so if that`s the case, when will it be addressed as I`ve found it to be like this for many builds now... I`d be interested to see what you guys say/think.

:)

2. Maug

Maug Registered

HDR profiles do have an influence on the lighting.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Could be many things. Are you using HDR? not sure if you do looking at your specs, but non-hdr has its downfalls in this area.
    And if you do use it, try some other HDR profiles, the ones from Tosch are excellent.

But it could be weather settings as well, or even just a camera angle.

My game don't look too dark but this week we are doing ISI's Portugal and all of a sudden graphics are playing up. they change allot, lightning as well. my virtual mirrors are almost black, I had to shut down HDR because the graphics would change each lap, sometimes light, then dark again, back to light. so far only on this track.
    And with HDR off rf2 just seems dead inside hehe. but at least it will do the job.

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I agree its almost like the contrast and gamma aren't quite right, I assume you can set these in your graphics as a profile for rF2 but have not bothered trying as it has not annoyed me enough. I'm sure they will address it but hopefully other things are being beavered away on in the back, ISI staff chuckling as they prepare to release the mother of all builds.

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

i think rf2 is too dark in general at least at most tracks. i use the universal.hdr to lighten things up.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Universal is too bright for me hehe. I guess everyone is on his own trying to figure out the optimal settings :)

7. argo0

argo0 Registered

I've seen this sudden lighting change as well. It looks as if a different, brighter HDR profile is flickering on for a split second then off again. Specifically at Portugal but I think I may have seen it somewhere else too.

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It has everything to do with HDR, what profile is used and how the particular map handles it. I can't let ISI off the hook for doing it pretty wrong since HDR profiles you use across different maps don't yield the same results, otherwise we would all load one great profile and your post wouldn't exist. Something deep down in the graphics side of rF2 is off and we need to figure out what that is and fix it or we will be reading XXXX sim looks Way better than rF2 posts until rF3.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Don't use HDR at night whatever you do. lopl

Funny but true woo came to my room first night of Longford release, I had Lola Longford "Dawn till Dark" up.

Woo
    DD
    Woo
    hehehe

Awesome night racing Longford, accel. time is magical, best anywhere imo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
  10. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Well, to be fair Virtua_LM always had darker tracks in rF1 as well, and that is Sebring you are looking at, so it's not a huge surprise. Their color feel has always been more subdued and warmer, while Feels3 cranks the snot out of the saturation and ISI has a more natural, but overly contrasting look to their tracks. It's not just HDR, HDR is just perhaps the easiest and most obvious method for tweaking it at the "end user" stage.

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Appreciate the replies guys...

I do use HDR and have used many profiles by Tosch, most do seem to help with this but nothing seems to correct it completely.

I`d have thought that the stock, default settings would mirror reality and that HDR profiles would only enhance the lighting etc not be needed to get it looking right in the first place.

The screens I posted were early morning, mainly sunny with a little cloud, they should not need to have the levels adjusted as much as they do to look "right" imo...

As you said Empty, that is Sebring, which may be darker than others by default but, for me, this happens at many if not all tracks but as I say, only with rf2.

I`m thinking this is a rf2 issue and hoping it will be looked at soon. Maybe I`m wrong about that, if so I`m sure ISI (probably Tim, maybe Tuttle?) will correct me...

12. Duvel

Duvel Registered

I agree with you tjc, it is far too dark, has been since people complained about the washed out lighting on release, so after this all profiles became extremely dark and even more incorrect than the first ones.

13. argo0

argo0 Registered

Just remembered the other track I've seen the lighting change for a split second, then back again. It was Mills.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

14. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

its all about how You setup hdr profile. The problem for me is that there is still difference between how lighting looks in tintops. I made profile that im happy with no roof cars, but its still too bright with cars with roof so didnt published it. Waiting for ISI car with roof to see if it will look the same as no roof cars cause i read somwhere that now its up to modder to exclude cockpit from hdr sceen.
    Anyway i will publish my profiles here , maybe someone will find them usefull. Second one is for cars with roof, but hadnt spend much time on it.
    This profiles are a bit different and better from "universal" i posted before.
    View attachment 11092
    View attachment 11093

Thats how it looks like at around 12am:
    [​IMG]

One thing i learned is that it wont look the same on all displays. for some it will be too bright. I have rather dark display settings for browsing but i dont get problem with any other game being too dark. only RF2.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's not just "how you set your HDR profile." It's a topic that's been going on for ages, the color balance, saturation, and lighting of rFactor 2. If the base, non-HDR is not proper then no HDR in the world will fix it as something will always be overdone.

16. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

17. PMC

PMC Registered

@ Kosmo. 12 AM ? you would have to be very North and summer for that lighting hehe. Ye I know 12 PM but the shadows show atleast a couple of hours either side of midday unless ive missed something ,daylight saving or something lol

18. coops

coops Banned

12am should be pitch black and stars so you mean 12pm

19. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

and you waited a entire freaking game night to tell me about this. I was feeling like a retarded not able to do a single lap in a oval circuit... ¬¬

20. PMC

PMC Registered

OH ! And Jerry ,just remember "once you go full retard theres no coming back" QUOTE : From Tropic Thunder
    [​IMG]

I noticed the resemblance (WOW, that's a word?) to your avatar.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013