TrackIR Stuttering / Erratic behaviour - How do I get smooth movement?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MrPix, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

Thank you very much for your efforts guys.
    I see you guys don't use V-Sync. I must say I don't know how you can drive without :eek:

In other games, it never has been a problem since the stuttering is so light that didn't notice it while driving/flying. But in rF2, at least on my side, there is much more stuttering than in other games and it really kills the immersion for me. But it seems I'll have to live with it.

I deactivated V-Sync and went to 120 fps. I must admit that the stuttering effect itself seems to be lighter but still present, and the tearing and other negative effects introduced by the unsynchronised images are so horrible that I can definitely not play this way, sorry :eek:

@ Butch
    I know that it's a matter of preferences and that people have not the same perception of smoothness, but I can assure you that with V-Sync off, the game can not be smooth. It's technically impossible since the images sent by the GC are not synchronised with the refresh rate of the monitor. Even with 300 fps, it will never be smooth (but maybe you perceive it smooth). And I don't even talk about tearing.
    Try just once to activate V-Sync and you will see a huge difference. It's incredible how immersive it gets with V-Sync on. Principally the movements of other cars around you. It's just "real" ! I can't play any game without it.
    And about input lag, it's there but hardly noticeable, and I did hours of tests and I can say that in my case, my lap times are exactly the same with or without V-Sync (maybe because I'm not an alien ?).
    It is not a coincidence that nVidia puts so much efforts to optimise the V-Sync technology, with "adaptive V-Sync" first and with "G-Sync ready monitors" next year (I can't wait for that). It brings such an improvement in immersion !!

As a conclusion, I now know that the TrackIR stuttering problem exists for everyone, but not everyone will notice it and I don't know if there is a solution to eliminate this effect.
    I'll have to try another tracking system to see if the problem comes from Naturalpoint's technology/drivers.

Thank you very much to all of you that replied.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  2. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I do get tearing, but I don't use vsync because my monitor(s) are only 60Hz (59Hz in triscreen). So, until I upgrade to monitors that run at 120Hz, I have to run with vsnyc off. I'd rather have the smoother control response and just live with the tearing, for now. But as far as TrackIR goes, it is smooth and there is no stuttering when looking around, as the tearing isn't what I would call 'stuttering'.
    Now I have not tried with vsync on, but I will do so later today. I actually meant to test it because Kaptainkermmen reported he was getting stuttering with it enabled, but forgot about it :eek:
    However I will see if I can replicate and confirm that to be a possible cause and let you all know what I find.

3. DrGroove

DrGroove Registered

Are you using three axis?
    Have you ever try to disable one?
    For exemple I don't use the pitch.
    Just yaw and roll. ;)
    And no x,y,z axes in car games.

4. Jeepy

Jeepy Registered

I already tried with yaw only, but same results.
    Just installed rF2 and TrackIR on my laptop and I'm getting exactly the same stuttering issues.
    Downloaded "FaceTrackNoIR" and tested it with my laptop integrated webcam: same stuttering.

Just discovered something very important !!

It must definitely be a tracking software issue because when using the "look left/right" keys I get no stuttering at all !!!

Setting this value in the .plr: Glance Rate="1.00000" // Rate to follow controller for glancing, when I look left or right with the designed keys, the view pans slowly left or right as smooth as it should be with not one stutter !!

The problem comes from the tracking software, that's why it's present in every game, more or less noticeable.

One step forward :cool:

5. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I just tried with vsync On, 60fps. I do see tiny pauses as I pan the view.
    It is like -------- rather than ________, if that makes sense.
    With vsync Off, panning is smooth and continuous. With it On, it is very slight, but noticable pauses (stutters) throughout the range.
    So, I think I am seeing the same as Kaptainkermmen's findings. Vsync does cause slight stutters.