Added skins won't load up unless 'RELOAD'ed...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bjørn, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I have the URD Endurance X (GTE) mod and it is one of the additions which is keeping the life-machine plugged in on rF2 for me...

People in the community has made some fine-ass skins...

I have downloaded the ones available, created directories ingame... Put the dds' into the directories, load up fine...
    Then I wanted to create drivers, so I did;
    Venom (SRT Motorsport) Bomarito 93, Farnbacher 53
    Darche (Porsche AG Team Manthey) Romain Dumas 92, Joerg Bergmeister 91
    Arthur Merlin (Aston Martin Racing) Darren Turner 97, Pedro Lamy 98, Bruno Senna 99
    Bayro (BMW Team RLL) Bill Auberlen 55, Dirk Muller 56...

Now... Put the respective dds' (aaaaall with 6 mipmaps and that) into the respective folders for each driver that was created...

ONLY the Venoms of Farnbacher and Bomarito loads up AUTOMATICALLY when add them as AI's, also when I have a different car than the Venom.

The rest of the created drivers doesn't pick up the skins automatically... The Bayros of Dirk and Bill are just plain white ones, just stock when I add them as AI as example... Darches load the URD Darche fictional skins...

Now, IF I push the RELOAD button on all the created drivers so the cars load up the skins which are wanted and then add them as AI the skins loads up fine... It's just a PAIN in the a to do that during every single race I want to with this mod... Close the game down, have to RELOAD every drivers skin again.

Why is this? Any tips...

And I race this mod with a mate a lot... He doesn't have my drivers or skins... Can I just send them to him for him to put into his /rFactor2/UserData/player/Settings folder and would they then load up well for him too when AI's are added to the server? Because for now it just loads the same car for each of the AI's he doesn't have... We tried this and I had all of my newly self-created AI's (ALL GT cars!)... He had the names alright, but they were all loaded as Audi R18's so he had 12 Audi R18's lapping in GT-pace... Great...

So many questions, hoping to get some answers or tips :)

Enjoy the weekend...

EDIT: Images of how the Venom is (working automatically) and how the Darches is (not working automatically)
    Don't spot any flaws :/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
  2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

So change the rcd files of the porsches to 1 and 2 instead of 0 and 3, if I understood?

When you first create a new driver it creates the first rcd and call it 0.rcd... then if you create another driver of that same car (darche, whatever) it gives it the number 1 and so forth... shouldn't have an impact really... Just screwed up a few times with the Porsches second driver, therefore had to create 3 before I nailed it, deleted the other ones...

And the first Viper I obviously failed too since there is no 0...

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

[​IMG]

Yeah...

4. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Seriously..?

No one is able to make this work?

So we got all these great skins but we can't make them stick to cars for good???

5. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

I got similar problem when tuning vehicle in online mod. I had to click in create dir, reload and then i´m able to see alt skins.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You might want to ask the mod maker for his directory names. We don't know them, the mod maker does.

Like Jerry says though, you need a directory - properly names - for anything to work at all.

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

You didn't read what I wrote, Tim?

How about doing that? I know it's long but I actually took time to describe what I did... Instead of just write, skin**** doesn't work, why?

In the third line of my initial post you can read that I created the directories in-game indeed. I also created the new drivers ingame, yay!

8. 88mphTim

Have you confirmed with the mod maker that what's being created by you or by the sim is the right directory by the veh name? etc?

9. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Ales just told me it looks correct what I do, but he isn't sure how your system works...

So now what? Is your system flawed or am I doing it wrong?

10. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Well im not really sure now, this system looks like a complete mess actually.

Tim why its not made so that you actually put simple folder named like "ALES" adding inside new .veh names ALES_00.veh and skins names like that? Why does this really have to be so complicated actually. Adding a veh would be sooo simple for all and its familiar to all. You can change youre team name there to what ever name, car class and more.

11. 88mphTim

I have no idea why it is how it is. I know it's supposed to get more simple with carsets outside of mods, but right now it's as it is.

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

!!!!!!! F*CKING !!!!!!!!!! I could rip someones head off...

[​IMG]

Now, now... calm down...... wooozaah

13. UnitedRacingDesign

Well im telling you that this is a mess, ive just tryed it quickly and a simple player not familiar with modding is lost right away. Talk to youre guys. just make it simple, no ingame adding or anything. We lived really good with rf1 or any other gmotor game how skins were added, was easy, familiar and simple to all. This new aparently new system is just... well you know :)

Simple-people download skin/skinpack, put it only into rf2 folder and that should be all.

And a skin should be in its own folder like: rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\C6r_ZR1\C6r_ZR1_LM70

And the folder should simply contain a VEH file C6r_ZR1_LM70.veh with skins needed. No ALT with dds or anything and this way you can do what ever you want-change team name, driver name, making own class for it or what ever that VEH supports.

Im not really sure now who is having this bright ideas that this should actually be simple to share stuff, it may be practical at some point when thinking about it but this will not work with servers once there is a big 20-30 teams skinpack and you will have to wait an hour to join server to download them.

14. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

The idea is fine I think... It just doesn't work...
    And of course you should have the ability to choose whether you want to download custom skins or not in-game...

Just be able to add the skins to the game-directory would be fine... and by that download externally.....

Also, lets say this crap really worked... would I then be able to pack up my Darche_EGT_92 folder including new drivers (skins and RCD) and then send it to a friend for him to unpack in his player/Settings directory and then he would have the new drivers/skins too???

15. UnitedRacingDesign

am Tim, didnt you mentioned that all the veh files, basicly everything from teams overall will be in future outside those mas files or did i missed something?

16. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

Hey... thanks for the info. We're still working the bugs out, but I think I just fixed your particular issue (skins not loading consistently). So that should be in the next update.

As to why we don't just let you add loose *.veh files, we couldn't allow that because that could be abused by cheaters.

17. 88mphTim

Yes, Ales. And yes, I agree how it should be. Now, does Bjorn have what you think should be the right path with your mod and the veh, or the extra stuff he is creating? So I can pass on whether something might not be working?

Bjorn, yes. You can share skins manually whenever you want to. Auto downloading is an OPTION.

18. 88mphTim

Joe is intending to strip out the offline stuff (AI params, names, skins), from the online stuff, at some point, last I heard.

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Abused?! How does it affect the cars behaviour?! a VEH file???

I am incredibly pissed off that I can't change the appearance of a car. Just the god damned livery! I'm not putting a megapowered engine in or changing aero. WTF!

But I'm looking forward to the next update I guess... A little less pain in rF2...

Will I be able to share my skins with my mate so that he has the same skins/drivers?! Cause we LOVE EGT mod but we also hate looking at fictional liveries while there are authentic ones available...

Oh how lovely it was in rF1... exchange a few DDS's and you were good.
    God..!

EDIT: @ Tim, yes I did it correctly, Ales said so... and he also played with it himself - at least that's how I interpret what he wrote...

20. 88mphTim

Thanks Bjorn. It looks like it did need reporting, but I couldn't do it until Ales confirmed, sorry to have caused you frustration. It sounds like Mike fixed it for the next one like he said though.