So hows AC for you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

What if you don't want the update or you want to roll back?

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

- I find the same thing. Lots of smashing the throttle down with little regards to weight transfer, how loaded the tyres already are prior to you getting on the gas, how much lock you have on the car, etc. etc.

Example: Exit of corner 1 Mugello displays this very well in something like the P4/5, or exit of final corner at Vallelunga in the M3 racecar. Smash throttle just about as hard as you want, smash it down so quickly your scared of braking your pedals lol no squirm, no slip, no sense of tyres being pressed and asked to put down any power, just nothing, no physics dynamics going on. I'm not asking for a death-slide or even a medium slide, but there is absolutely nothing going on, no dynamics towards your throttle and steering inputs vs the tyres and whats being asked of them. No finding that line of limits and trying to hold and dance the car there. Nope, just nothing.

I don't know how so many people don't notice this stuff just because it "feels" good. People need to start analysing how cars are acting and reacting relative to what they are doing with their control inputs vs what state the car onscreen is in.

- I really like the natural grip progression/unprogression when you are on street tyres and slowly giving it more lock as you are slowly getting off the brakes and turning into a slower corner. That whole initial "turn-in as you're slowly ending your trailbraking while applying more and more lock getting close to kissing the apex" stage feels really good. You get the "squirminess" of road tyres that are not super grippy and are sliding, but they still feel grippy even though they are road tyres and sliding and don't emit high levels of grip if that makes sense. You can manage that slip nicely.

- Unlike other sims, I have a harder time playing with abs off though. I dont get the feedback (whether its FFB or audio) and i've never had a problem with this in other sims. When you do lock up it feels exaggeratted just how quickly you loose even a single degree of steering in the car, it's like the car goes straight like a perfect lazer beam, like its stuck in a railroad track.

- As other have said, the cars seem to lack substance and depth. Very difficult to lap for 3 or 4 hours with 1 car on 1 track. You get some understeer here you correct it, you get some oversteer there, you correct it. Just repeat and repeat. You don't seem to get much of that "dancing with the car on the limit but without actually having to make big corrections, but you're in that slip angle zone on the limit where the car is constantly moving around and you're having to manage it with extremely precise throttle/brake and steering controls which requires massive concentration and feel". I just can't find that area, especially in the racing cars.

- Dancing on the limit, like can be done in just about all other sims

- grip, grip, grip, slide, correct, repeat. No dancing on those limits of slip angles like in above video and other sims.

The AC was all grip with the occasional rear step out & correct, while the real life one was like what we do in just about all other sims (what i explained in previous paragraph), that is driving the car on the limits and keeping it on the edge with your inputs as it's moving around, "dancing" with the car, feeling all it's micro movememts and compensating with your inputs according to all those movements in order to keep the car on that edge of grip without going over and having to make big corrections but while staying in that minor slide/slip angle limit area. You're dancing a dance with the edge, with the slip angle, and occasionally may have to make a bigger correction. It's where all that depth and complexity can really be seen in a physics engine.

I cant get that much at all in AC, it's mostly just "grip with absolutely no slip", "grip with absolutely no slip", "grip with absolutely no slip", "ok here comes a slide and hey nice correction", "repeat". No dancing on that line.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If ISI changed the time scale of RealRoad people would be in an outrage about how the track stays green for too long and that they know from their experience driving their minivan to the market that a track should rubber up faster than it does in the sim.

Personally RealRoad needs a multiplier just like Fuel, Time, Mech Failures and Tires do.

4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Well considering they are official updates I can't see any reasonable reason why you should roll back ever. If it goes broken, they'll fix it in next update then. Also, when playing online everybody has to have same version (usually latest). But you can disable automatic updates in Steam if you need to.

5. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Most probably I wouldn't want to roll back.
    Do you use some old rF2 build?

6. thuGG

thuGG Registered

That's funny because Bartek Mirecki (SRPL member) who had a chance to test with Ferrari Driver Academy (young driver test) at the end of November, said that in reality the F Abarth (they drove it on Fiorano) has even more grip than in AC.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Possibly, if it can pull more g's then yes it may have more grip. I am not referring to total grip though, I am referring to physics dynamics and handling depth when you get near those limits of grip, regardless of how high or low those limits may be.

8. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

No, but I did.

If I disable the advantage, what is the advantage of Steam then?

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That's funny because Bartek Mirecki (SRPL member) who had a chance to test with Ferrari Driver Academy (young driver test) at the end of November, said that in reality the F Abarth (they drove it on Fiorano) FEELS LIKE IT has even more grip than in AC.

There, fixed that for you. Every real car "feels" like it has more grip than a sim.... any sim.

10. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I honestly do not know how anyone can consider AC as a simulator now. The grip of the tires is so unreal that is not fun to play this game. Even GT5 has a better simulation of the grip of the tires.

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Is that without assists?

12. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Maybe stop using the super softs then ^^

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Bloody amazing thanks

14. Magzire

Magzire Registered

There was a 100 page thread about rfactor having no grip.. now AC has to much grip. Just impossible to please anyone, people still complain if it was 100% accurate.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Super softs still have a limit where you should be able to dance around with the slip angles and have the car move around underneath you in a very dynamic fashion, especially if you do a lot of stupid things with the car, or are just driving them up to their limits. AC is 85% sim with this 15% layer to prevent bad things from happening, maybe its because people push way harder in sims and do things/go into corners at speeds they never would in real life and this is to prevent car-control from being too much of an important factor to the average player? Not sure, but there seems to be some sort of safety net/dumbing-down built into the physics engine/tyre model or something.

TIP TO EVERYONE: Unless you get motion sickness turn off that awful (in my opinion :)) "lock head to horizon" option. The cars feel even more slow, dead and boring with this enabled. When I unchecked this my heartbeat actually started to raise a couple knotches as I was gaining speed down the straights, I could actually feel/see some brake dive, I could feel/see the uneveness in the road going down the back straight in Magione, my head was slightly getting bounced from the bumps on the tracks, everything just came alive, WOW what a difference! My friend who doesnt really play sims often also got WAY more into the cars and their control once we disabled this. Down the Magione back straight he started saying "wow, wow" as he could feel the speed build and the bumps and head movement, whereas before it was just "look at tach, shift, yawn, have glass of water, look for brake marker, brake" no sense of rush or adrenaline. This option disabled gave me much, MUCH more enjoyment, immersion and adrenaline. You get way more of an assault on your senses, like in real life, than with it on. I was almost falling asleep with it on. I'm not saying this fixed the physics problems a lot of us have been discussing, but man, now I can actually get some immersion and feedback.

It definitely helped me with laptimes, feeling body roll and weight transfer, bumps, speed, etc. The option to leave it on is just terrible and "numb" to me and my "rookie" friend who tried it, unless you have a motion sim outputting bumps, roll, yaw, etc etc (or if you get motion sickness). Yes, yes I know, in real life we can lock onto an object and keep it relatively in the centre of our vision, I know, but OVERALL disabling this option is much, MUCH more representative of the real life experience, and more engaging. :) It also allowed me to get more acquainted with each car and improve my laptimes much quicker as I can feel the car and know what it's doing/what I'm doing to it, SO MUCH BETTER.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  16. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

And there it is, simnerdfanboy-kindergarten as always. AC is a brilliant piece of software, and so is rF2. And guess what? I enjoy both of them, the shortcuts are sitting peacefully on my desktop. And instead of discussing about what sim is the better one I simply hook up my Logi and enjoy them all.

17. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Try to disable helps or something...

18. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

+1

Both appeal to slightly different markets I think. But more importantly they are both great fun to play / drive, and will only get better.

19. thuGG

thuGG Registered

And maybe you are just wrong? I spent the last hour in Lotus 2-11 and I can exactly feel the grip limits, the edge of grip, ovesteer or understeer and everything in between.

20. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

After 2 weeks of AC I have returned to rf2 and I drove the Venom of URD mod and strangely I didn't find a big differenze! I was expecting to have some difficult to readapt to the rfactor 2 driving physics after more than 2 weeks of AC, but surprisingly it was almost very natural!
    The big difference that I have noticed is the graphics where playing rf2 made me going back to 4-5 years!
    I agree the some cars of AC have a lot of grip like the P4/5, the Zonda, the GT2... but there are 2 more thing that I don't like in AC:
    A- the braking, it is too much forgiving specially with some race cars like the BMW Gt2 where I was able to brake below 90m and even 80m which is ridiculous for me! and the same with the P4/5 and the Zonda!

B- the exaggerate understeer which is common to all the cars in AC! it seems that the oversteering doesn't exist in AC! it is all about understeering in every turn and every car! even the Zonda has some understeering!
    Look at this video of me laping the 2 Eleven at Mugello and you will notice how much understeering the car in AC does have!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.