ISI Official Servers ( less popular events should have shorter races )

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Jameswesty, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Hi

I'm loving the ISI official servers and the guys that programmed live-racers did an awesome job !

What I think might be a good idea is for the less popular servers GT + ISI special is if they run shorter races.

Nobody is really playing those servers and you cannot have an enjoyable race that lasts 10+ min with only 3 people on the grid ! ( given that one will probably crash and the other two probably lap at different speeds) unless you happen to luck out big time and join with people that are similar to you.

The skippy server seems good and I assume the cleo cup server is good as that's popular, though I have not tried it as I'm a snob and I don't drive cars that drag themselves along like an invalid chimpanzee instead of pushing like a powerful ox ;)

So a GT server 6Min sprint races with 3min qualify would be awesome

I know that's far too short generally speaking , but its a start point and as it gets more popular then race length should go up ! :)

One thing I would like to add , the race antiquate on these servers has generally been very good sure there are loads of terrible drivers but the key thing is the bad drivers are driving bad by accident not on purpose which is fine.

2. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Slightly off topic, but someone is sadistic at ISI; putting the Nissan GT car on Mores short track lol. You can barely get out of 3rd gear! ;)

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Agreed on driving standards, been on the LRP server all week and had many great, close and fair races.

Maybe one of the problems James, is one cannot predict whether a server will become popular or not and I believe results and awards on isi liveracers are locked within a certain timeframe (15min?) and also a numbers of drivers (8)
    So reducing it midweek could cause result/points issues?

But a 6 minute race comes with its own problems, the whole incentive changes from trying to have a good race and progressing over a fair amount of time or laps into a frenzy of drivers trying to win a race at all costs in 6 minutes.
    There will be much more crashes, bumps and stress in such a short sprint. I doubt it will be any fun. T1 crashes are already a problem by default so adding a very limited timeframe would only increase that?

30 minutes might be a tad too long indeed and it doesn't help the flow in and out of the server so 15minutes would be a reasonable timeframe?

4. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

"But a 6 minute race comes with its own problems, the whole incentive changes from trying to have a good race and progressing over a fair amount of time or laps into a frenzy of drivers trying to win a race at all costs in 6 minutes."

That still happens within 15 min race because if you spin for the most part its game over to win anyway, the skill level of most people playing rf2 on these pub servers is so low regardless. ( which is not a problem realy as like i said people seem to be keen to race clean anyway maybe due to the stat tracking and so they will likely race just as clean in a 5 lap race v 13lap race.

"There will be much more crashes, bumps and stress in such a short sprint. I doubt it will be any fun"

It would be more fun because you will be driving with people rather than lapping on your own , if you just want to lap why don't ISI just put up a multi class hot lap server , presumably people are joining these pub servers to race with people not lap on there own.

"30 minutes might be a tad too long indeed and it doesn't help the flow in and out of the server so 15minutes would be a reasonable timeframe?"

I think 10min is the ideal short race length but even then if there are only 6 people max and probably only 2 competitive that's to long

6min 1-5 people
    10min 5-10 people
    15min 10-15 people
    30 min 24+ people ( though when you get to 20+ min id rather do that in the context of a league as its not practical for pick up racing)

Because the skip barbor server normaly has at least 10-15 people the 13-14 min or so races work out really well , have to remember that this is pick up racing we already have private leagues for full length races.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

If you spend more time in practice and qualifying than you do in race, then it's pretty sucky IMHO. 15-30 minute pickup races have always worked for me.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah, I really want people to have time to learn tracks, etc. Ideally I'd want 20mins qual (good amount of time for joining) and 20-30mins of racing. I do 30min GT races because that genre is supposed to be endurance. ;) But my reason for not doing really short races is simply that you would have a pileup in turn 1 every race, because unlike a 20min race, you would have more chance of winning if you drive impatiently.

7. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I think the GT's aren't that popular this week (and this is just my personal opinion!) because it really doesn't work on this track, it feels abit like a gokart track.
    Is there a long layout aswell because that might work somewhat better

8. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

10min is too long???

9. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

"Yeah, I really want people to have time to learn tracks"

You can learn the track in both cases regardless of race length , can also learn it offline.

"Ideally I'd want 20mins qual (good amount of time for joining)"

If the race is short then people don't have to wait a long time to join and you can now see when a session is free and when to join easily due to live racers App

";) But my reason for not doing really short races is simply that you would have a pileup in turn 1 every race"

You still have T1 pile ups in 10-30 min races.

"because unlike a 20min race, you would have more chance of winning if you drive impatiently"

If you drive reckless in a short race you will still crash and still lose , 20min race is still so short that you might as well drive impatietly. Its things like the consistency tracking and score on the live racers app that make people drive clean not race legth , even if race length does have an effect you have to be having 40+ min races for people to really want to take it easy on lap 1.

"I do 30min GT races because that genre is supposed to be endurance"

Real GT races tend to have more than 4 cars in them , endurance races are only fun when you have allot of cars on the gird.

to be clear I prefer long races with GT cars as well but unless you have more than 10 people on the track you might as well be hot lapping on your own.

still can't really complane these servers are a massive improvement on things beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  10. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

11. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

12. coops

coops Banned

i have to agree with you tim, new ppl to the sim would benfit from this for heaps of reasons. would be nice to see a msg of the day come up with some info on the sim,track,mod or latest release ECT...

13. williang83

williang83 Registered

James the problem here is that you ara taking a non arcade game (rfactor 2) and trying to create the same environment of an arcade game (forza, gran turismo) where you have very short races. I prefer to have each world separate from each other. If ISI's target is simulation than IT MUST SIMULATE RACING ENVIRONMENT TOO, or else we are not talking about simulation anymore. I hate those game where they are partial simulator. Pick a path and stick to it. Lapping on your own happen even in real life (what would Vettel say?).

14. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I don't know what Vettel would say. If it were Kimi however :p (Just leave me alone, I know what I'm doing :D )

15. 88mphTim

How is what you're asking for going to simulate a racing environment? I'm not getting it I guess.

Sent using Tapatalk - excuse the short post, etc

16. williang83

williang83 Registered

i don't think that 5 min of quali plus 6 min of racing simulate any race rather than sunday kart with friends. Rfactor itself lacks of many many race environment, and if you also do 6 minutes race people will try to win a race in 6 laps as someone said, more than 15 minutes race.

17. 88mphTim

Yeah. A 6 minute race on some tracks is 3-5 laps. That makes divebombing into turn 1 the way to win a race. I can't even imagine it improving things, I think people would run screaming away from the less popular combinations even more.

18. liebestod

liebestod Registered

Good bad drivers such as myself always give LOTS of space in turn 1. I know I'm not winning, but I still want everyone (including myself) to survive the race.