rfactor 2 on steam

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by alvaritoteam, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I don't think it is up for a vote though is it :p

ISI don't want to do it..... simple as that really :)

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Lots of games that are on steam are downloadable through the developers website though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I think a good example for a working modable sim or game is ARMA3 on Steam.
    I have used the ARMA3 beta the hole time via steam. After Bohemia published the 1.0 of ARMA3 I switched in steam away from the beta to the public version (download around 10 MB) on the fly. After that it was possible to switch between the beta and the public build.
    All in all no problems with steeam here.

One thing IMO is to consider:
    If a sim like rF2 go public via Steeam IMO ISI and the community are confronted with a complete other audience with (maybe) other wishes and focus (keyword simcade).
    I'm not sure if this is the right way?

4. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

I have Steam installed on 3 PC's (Main PC, Linux Machine in the Living Room and a Laptop) without any problems. Many games are installed on all 3 machines without any problems. I don't think I could do that with rFactor 2 without mailing their support due to limited amount of activation. So what's worse? Downloading a small client once or waiting a weekend for your email reply so you can activate your bought game again and play it.

And regarding their support... I have been using Steam since 2004 and only had to contact their support once and got help within 48hours. Maybe 48hours isn't fast but 10 years of heavy usage with only once needing their assistance?

5. Matt A

Matt A Registered

I have Assetto Corsa on steam and it's ruined by being chock full of idiot arcade drivers!!! SO NO STEAM!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Steam will drive sales, customers, financial income, etc. into rF2, but in order to get on steam you have to get accepted past the steam greenlight phase. I have a feeling rF2 wouldn't pass not only because it's not too mainstream, doesn't have the "cool" roadcar exotic licenses, tons of marketing pics and videos, modern style looking gfx etc., but also because I have a feeling a lot of people would vote "No" for it. It seems that a lot of people have an agenda against rFactor 2 or something. Completely blows me mind. Probably because they view it as a threat because the physics are so good or something, I don't know, it's sad.

7. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

This is OT but honestly, when people seem to react in a negative way to rfactor 2, all I hear are these;

"The graphics are crap"
    "The demo is crap"

This recent change to the demo with the btcc cars helps but now some don't understand the handling characteristics of an FWD car. Its a very "Marmite" car.

The demo should use the skip barber at loch Drummond or Silverstone international IMO.

8. coops

coops Banned

+1 agree

9. jomardi

jomardi Registered

on the STEAM is to many Sim - Games.
    who has at STEAM games, they will be happy to have there RF2. I Understand the people, who do not has games at STEAM.

I have on STEAM over 180 games. of this is some my lover Sim - Games as 1) DSC World (modules) from Eagle Dynamics. 2) IL - 2 CloD. 3) Rise of Fligh. 4) OMSI 2. 5) Euro Track SIMULATOR. 6) Train Simulator. 7) Assetto Corsa. waiting for; X-Plane 10, KartSim, Spintires, also iRacing is done at 'greenlight' (don't know they wishes or not)

finally, for developers is Favorable!

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

My best argument would be I like to install rF2 the way I like ie: just Historics , would you be able to do that in Steam?

If so does not bother me

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

No reason why not.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Do any steam games have customized installs

You see my point...

People complain about having to tick so many packages as it is.

Where as like me some rather it that way so they can install minimal content.

If I had to download all content from Steam then uninstall manually what I did not use what would be the point.

Like wise someone that wants all content does not want a steam menu with 30 boxes to check.

You would still have to keep packages either way , ie: to uninstall and install and update mods.
    You not going to do that in steam either are you.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The more you think about it the
    More possible problems arise

Like steam is tied to the servers and version number.

ie: you can't run AC and pCARS online unless you up to date.

If a update came out how would you run your league that night with your well tuned rF2 files. ?
    You do not know what changes will do with build. ?

How would it deal with custom content afaik the only way you fix steam sims is to re-install the lot.

Will updating allow for all custom files and settings to be retained I thought Steam security was built avoiding this, files are identical each user.

Essentially you would have to have Steam use another mod manager.

14. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

No? It's possible in several ways...

1. rFactor2 uses a Basic Install on Steam + Steam Workshop:
    The user would only have to select which mods (Official or Community) he wants in the Workshop and Steam would install them... 1 Click Install for the game and 1 per Mod. Definately easier and less work than now. This is also tied to the Account and the user could reinstall rFactor2 (after HDD crash, new HDD or something else) with his old config files, setups (possible to be saved in the Cloud) and mods with only one click.

2. rFactor uses a Basic Install on Steam and the user can download and install them like now. No big change here and no advantages or disadvantages.

As for Auto Update. I have posted a screenshot some pages before of another game on Steam where you could select any version since release. No need to search for the installer, download it, uninstall old one etc. Just change the version and done. Multiple installations are possible too. ISI could do the same, the tools are there to use.

As for reinstalling a lot. Actually not really, you can check your install and it will only redownload broken or corrupted files. No need to redownload and install the whole game again

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

My meaning was its possible

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

This thread and the reality of the small user base for rF2 has changed my mind. ISI needs to do something to attract people to rF2, maybe Steam would be the way to go?

The online servers are sparsely populated and league numbers are generally down. I was on a grid last summer with 26 drivers and it was an amazing experience but since October I have not been on a grid with more than 14. It's depressing.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Personally I rather lap rF2 with less people then spend time driving something don't feel as good.

That would be depressing.

hehehe

18. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I agree the skip barber (with national as default) would be a great demo car. I used to think f3 but I think the skip barber will have broader appeal and it also has incredibly detailed physics and is one the most convincing mods IMO. It also is a great way to initiate drivers to proper driving as the vehicle has 'street cred' as performing exactly as designed by skip barber so the "driving on ice", etc. criticisms have no merit as that is by design.

19. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Honestly I didn't read the whole thread, just quickly some posts, I guess lot of pros and cons like always for this kind of thread.

In any case, I have nothing against Steam as it bring some functionality very interesting IMO.

I just tested the streaming feature I just discovered: http://store.steampowered.com/streaming

That's something pretty "big", I'm really impressed by possibilities it bring at least for me. I tested this with X Rebirth and Tomb Raider installed in Steam on my desktop, and played them streamed on my less powerful laptop: no lag, same fps, impressive!

For whose who don't understand, let me explain: the desktop computer have Steam and all my games installed. My Laptop just have Steam, logged on same account without any games installed. On the laptop, Steam propose me a "Stream" button instead of the usual "Play" button for each games installed on my desktop. It "saw" my distant desktop and all games without any actions from me, automatically. Hitting "Stream" and Bam! the game appear on my laptop screen and I can play using laptop keyboard, mouse, or other device if I install drivers (T500RS, Saitek X52, etc.). I first tested this with both PC in the same room. The desktop is plugged through wire to my Internet Box, and the laptop was using Wifi. No lag! both screen was showing exactly the same game picture without any delay, perfectly synchronized! really exactly like if I was playing on the desktop.

That allow me to just bring my laptop instead of my heavy desktop (and tons of wires behind it) to any room to play game which run in fact on the desktop, so now I'm able to play my desktop games in the Living Room on the TV big screen, or on the TheaterRoom on my projector, just by connecting my light laptop on it. Simply Great! I guess I can also do that distantly by using a VPN. If yes I'll be able to play my games in holiday, far from my house, with my not enough powerful laptop :)

I don't know if we can stream non-Steam games. I know we can add to Steam games not bought through it to have a way to launch them using Steam, but I don't know if it allow the same Streaming system in that case. It will be great if I could play rF2 in my TV screen or projector without bringing my desktop :)

Ok, sorry for this, just wanted to share my joy to have discovering this great feature :)

20. yusupov

yusupov Registered

it took me a bit to understand as well. really my first experience w/ fwd & i'd be lying if i said it wasn't discouraging me from getting the game, which just felt needlessly punishing to me for the first bit (fortunately i imagine most who demo rf2 are like me & have a bit more patience w/ these things, but..)

the second thing i have to say is that whoever did the UI mod (sorry i don't know the name) should really be on the rf2 payroll. i am convinced more copies would sell instantly if that was the UI. when i first started up rF2 it was like being transported to 2004. its a really bad first impression.