rfactor 2 on steam

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by alvaritoteam, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Uff

Uff Registered

I guess those guys over at Kunos Simulazioni and iRacing are completely mad, then. Yes, who needs a great platform which always offers a great service, keeps your game up to date and gives a great visibility?

2. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I think ISI should put rF2 on steam right now in its current state in order to introduce it to new users that can then complain about how crap rF2 is based on its UI and graphics, let alone its physics are so obviously crap for being unforgiving and allowing loss of grip at low speeds.
    In seriousness though, steam would be an annoying platform for rf2 with its 30sec load time.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

How much more money would ISI have to charge? GamersGate is another alternative to Steam.

4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

RFactor2 Facebook

"Unless you want a subscription like iRacing, or a higher price so we could afford to use Steam to deliver forced updated like those two do, it can't be as easy"

5. redapg

redapg Registered

Steam? Hopefully not!
    I don't need another Software running which puts a lot of unwanted sh*t on my machine, really NOT.

6. LowRider

LowRider Registered

+1

7. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Great service - You can't be serious
    Game up to date - I didn't need Steam to do that in 1998
    Great visibility - Yep. Maybe it would make sense to ISI.

I, on the other hand, would rather have control over my games and files. I certainly don't need a program to auto-update and choose things for me. It's fine for bargain bin games you play and forget, but for something I'll use every day, fuggedaboutit.

8. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I agree. When rF2 eventually "goes gold" I really hope ISI brings it to Steam. The current user base is fairly meager and I would love to see rF2 take off with a larger audience.

9. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Registered

No way ISI should go anywhere near steam.

10. rene-xmg

rene-xmg Registered

i didn´t know steam until i bought AC.
    ...but i have nothing negative to say so far about steam.

but why should rf2 think about it? aren´t we, 15-20 people playing it online happy as it is?
    (ok ok ... weekends there are up to 50 online :) spreaded on 20 servers)

11. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

Well, that's a good argument.

12. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Other than increased visibility, rF2 has little to gain by being on Steam. In fact it has some to lose in wasted time and effort building its own distribution and anti-piracy methods.
    My guess is that when this next gen sim racing market matures and both rF2 and AC are fuller packages, the hype will have settled and AC will be considered a better alternative to Gran Turismo and Forza and rF2 will have gained the proper recognition it deserves as being the best driving experience and probably the go to game for racing leagues.
    Budding sim racers can dip their toe in the PC market by starting with the more easily accessible AC. Then after being initiated into the weird world of PC gaming and sim racing, they may want to try this hardcore rFactor 2 that they have heard about, and being the most advanced and hardcore it is no surprise that it is a little more complicated to set up, but still not very complicated at all, plus the added bonus of not having to have load steam before starting.
    So there you have it, the future of sim racing.

13. Jamie Shorting

The average Steam user buys a game, plays it for a month or two, buys another game plays it for a month or two, uninstalls first game, buys another game...... I think you guys get the point.

14. David Wright

David Wright Registered

The average rFactor user downloads a mod, plays it for a month or two, then downloads another mod and plays it for a month or two ... not that different to your description of the average Steam user or indeed the average gamer.

If you want to reach a larger audience than existing or previous rFactor1 users then Steam would be the way, but lets face it, ISI needs to get rF2 to the point that most rF1 users switch before it needs to worry about appealing to a wider audience.

15. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Nothing against Steam but I don't think rF2 would benefit from it.

16. Jamie Shorting

My thoughts as well.

17. rer8

rer8 Registered

No, let's not do Steam for rFactor 2. rF2 is not an arcade racing game... Steam seems to appeal to the Arcade racing enthusiasts, which is good for rfactor 2. In my opinion.

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Bullsh*t for that arcade talk.

Steam is a mean for distribution. ISI has their own distribution structure very well set in place, the only thing Steam would potentially provide is access to more customers. But with Steam, ISI faces these issues:

1- Steam takes a large cut of the revenue
    2- rFactor 2's price is an inhibitor to anyone not dedicated or inclined to simracing. Theoretically only those with knowledge of GTR 2, R3, iRacing, Assetto Corsa, or even pCARS would be interested in rFactor 2. Chances are they already know about rFactor 2 and would come looking for it from ISI's page

So there, there is no need for Steam. Plus it's a terrible platform with regards to customer service and accountability (they say to take it up with devs who send you to Valve. Rinse and repeat).

19. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

That's what she said. ;)

Agree with both points Gui, Although quite a few at PRC only found GSC/rF2 after joining the Codemasters community and then switched to sim racing ( explains some driving ) Steam has its uses but it doesn't have anything rF2 needs.

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

GSC is a very niche title, rFactor was quite well known plus the somewhat common knowledge of Simbin games utilizing ISI's gmotor also led to folks discovering rFactor :p. Another thing I forgot to list with Steam is the need for an online connection (you can't predict when you'll lose connectivity to have offline mode setup), with its standalone launcher rF2 can offer at least the single player experience - regardless of how lacking it may be.