Cube maps

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by UnitedRacingDesign, Nov 14, 2013.

1. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Can we get cube maps working corectly please?

As example i and probably some other modders would still like to use cube map rather than real time reflection on some parts, especially cockpit or rims as the real time reflection doesnt look right.
    Currently there is problem that even if you dont check real reflection in max settings for material, the car cube dx9 seem to be locked and it loads it but after some time on track or so it removes it and those parts using that setting become washed out plus i would like to assing my own cube map and not beeing forced to use the one beeing there.

2. Some1

Some1 Registered

How should the static cube maps react to time of day?

3. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Agree !!!
    Long time ago, I indicated the old rF1 Cube map not working (especially at night, it is glowing white like it's a light).

The new Reflection method to switch off the Environment Reflection is good for the body for example, but I agree with Aless, we need to have the old fake cube working.
    Because for the cockpit, using the Environment Reflection is not good because viewing the Grass/Curbs of the track in the carbon door inside the car is just wrong.

For me 2 solutions, fix the issue that in the cockpit the environment can't be visible depending the part hiding the exterior or make the old cube map working in addition of the new real-time one to allow us too choose the better way for the cockpit materials.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  4. UnitedRacingDesign

Good question :) well for simple things it shouldnt do any big diferente i guess, cube map can be adjusted itself. I think that real reflection at this moment makes more problems than cube map would, especially in cockpit when you see road, curbs and all the stuff you dont want to.

Cockpits simply need reflections on many parts but not the current one as its completly off.

5. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Agree with everything here, we need better control over static cubemaps.

The issue with static maps not reacting environmental changes is always been present in game development. Currently rF2 engine does not feature gradual decrease of cubemap intensity while environment turns towards night time. So, we have to just deal with it. Better use pretty subtle cubemap effects, or even just bake fake reflections into diffuse. If done correctly, it will fool the eye enough.

6. UnitedRacingDesign

Or, cockpit real time reflection should be implented. Something like "REFMAPCPIT" for the materials and we would add this to our gen files, in that way would actually get real time reflections on windows and cockpits, well that would be awesome.