ISI Track Team Tweets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miro, Nov 13, 2013.

1. RNelson

RNelson Registered

Since the game is about entertainment maybe they wont release the track until we stop being entertained by their teasers. They are just maximizing the entertainment value this way....

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Has nothing to do with personal preferences, If you read my post, you would see I am talking about compared to iRacing and AC with similar settings. I have no problem if the superior physics of rF2 causes slower performance. But it seems to be mostly graphics-related and as each new level of track sophistication gets released, FPS plunges further. Remember when we all thought Silverstone was a "heavy" track? Then AMP came out!! I am just afraid Toban will be even lower FPS to the point that it requires modifying settings to run properly (that don't have to be modified for other tracks).

It isn't circular reasoning. It's having such a wide range in the quality of tracks that different settings are needed for newer ones versus older ones. We all have our settings calibratd for a certain compromise and balance. This throws it off.

It's really only a problem since we have universal graphics settings that apply to all tracks. Option 1: make graphics settings per track. Option 2: optimize track graphics so there is greater consistency across the official released tracks. Option 3: do nothing to address the issue.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Looking good.

4. RNelson

RNelson Registered

I think it is only a problem for a few of you.....

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Well to be fair newer tracks add more details and higher res textures in other sims as well. iRacing Nordschleife for example is massively detailed. I never had problems running iRacing even on my old GPU, now I need to lower settings for this track. AC is pretty much the only sim that runs every track smooth for me.

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Capping all tracks and cars to run the same FPS is just impossible. No way. :) Problem is when your card goes disco with available power and start struggling to run your FPS target (as 60 FPS).

Point is it's not that easy to make all tracks running similar, when using our level of details and scene population. There are tracks which are busy like hell in real life, and we usually don't want these places looking like a Walmart parking-lot in the sim..just because we'd want that running similar to an oval in the desert flowing at 400FPS. There are place which are more flat and empty, making your GPU happy, others are sneaky and long and there you can use hardcore lodding because objects are visible just from small distances because of natural occluders (hills, turns, up and down etc). Other place, like AMP, are natural rollecoaster flowing in a small area, with everything visible all the time around the track, making LODs less efficient, sometimes impossible. There are tracks with multiple pitlanes and multiple garage buildings, like Silverstone and Indianapolis.There are tracks using naked tire stacks and these are loads of tris on a sim. Other tracks are using tire canvas, much more friendly on tricount because you don't need to model tires, at all. Etc etc etc etc..... If your goal is to make all these place running similar means your average level of details will be low to very low, especially for busy tracks. Which is what you can get running our busy tracks at medium or low settings, right now. Also, we care a lot of optimization, but we've seen people complaining when we go too aggressive on LODs, which is something other titles are doing, almost all the time. So, sometimes people ask more FPS but at the same time will complain for cheap looking track and/or aggressive LODs. Same goes with textures, which is a factor growing together with the scene population level and complexity. You see, it's not always xmas for track makers. :)

AC it's going that way (less population) as its visual target is more focused on car models, maybe because they have DOF and PostFX which are usually focusing cars and making everything else blurred out, I don't know. Whatever, their tracks are not up to our standards in terms of scene population, texture resolution, TSOs and Buildings/Structures modeling. I'm not saying we are better, I'm saying we are doing differently because we want that way. They have their goal with things, we have our own. We should stop comparing really....And btw, I see big FPS fluctuation in AC too, running different combos. I find this pretty normal, if you ask me. ;)

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Tuttle, Tuttle, Tuttle... you should give yourself a timeout, that post is much too sensible for a forum.

:eek:

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Option 4: Scale down your settings just before clicking that race button; 3 seconds of your time and no mastercard required. ;)

must be my italian blood sorry...:eek::D

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

10. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

Great news! Fed up with these low textured ambulances coming to attend to me once i crash... These new ones shold do the trick :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
  11. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Will be a bumpy ride with those tyres though ;)

12. madquad

madquad Registered

+* level of details and scene population + FPS = DX12

13. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Would dx12 make it harder to create mods? Would make a change to dx12 a lot of work the get the existing content "up to date"?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

14. stonec

stonec Registered

If ISI went DX12 road they would probably have to maintain DX9 support (and content), since the majority of community still uses Windows 7 with no DX12 compatibility.

15. overattack

overattack Registered

Really?

Are developed dx12 is confirmed in the roadmap?

Only dx9 and stubborn.

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The textures in a couple rF2 tracks (Atlanta is a prime example) can be superb, while on an interestingly opposite trend, Assetto's tracks have been receiving "standard" assets from their tracks, and the gravel traps are atrocious. Sadly, a lot of the stuff looks very dated already.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2016
  17. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Windows 10 is for free, what is the problem?

18. redapg

redapg Registered

One Problem e.g. could be, that not everybody wants to have Windows 10 installed on his machine.

19. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

You can update for free from win 7 to win 10. Everybody must do that sooner or later win 7 support is not going to last for ever. I don`t see any problem with that but I see loads of problems when DX9 is used.

20. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Yeah, you can't really just sit back and expect gaming to cater to ageing hardware and software. Granted, many hated and skipped Windows 8 but public opinion validated that they wouldn't need to update but Windows 10 is definitively the future of Windows platforms. (And so, *so* much better than W8. I still think W7 was the best OS MS has produced but 10 is a close second and has a massively better boot time and far better prefetch code so generally runs way quicker). There are also very few real compatibility issues with upgrading. That said I did ensure that all versions of W10 I use have Destroy Windows 10 Spying Now installed and manually uninstalled all of that metro crap.

Windows 7 is now as old as Windows 95 was when XP came out, it's time to start consigning it to history. Nobody was really surprised or protested when, say, Fallout 4 dropped 32bit OS support and there were few (albeit vocal) holdouts when Thief 3 and its brothers forced DX7 cards in to retirement, or Oblivion forced the DX9b issue. This is ultimately just the way the market goes. I personally hesitated in making the jump to Windows 7 from XP and in retrospect I can't understand why I did. It took some adjustment but it was ultimately worth it and that's an upgrade I had to pay for. A free, reversible OS upgrade seems like way less of a reason to baulk. Not to mention that mainstream support for Windows 7 ended over a year ago which will somewhat force the issue with time.

With that said I doubt RF2 will make the jump to DX11/DX12. Seems like ISI (perhaps understandably) care more about the physics code. Still, it'll be one of the only holdouts as time goes on. As it is Steam OS statistics show that in well under a year Windows 10 64bit is already on the verge of being the dominant gaming OS, with 32.8% of the market to Windows 7 x64's 34.3% (and Windows 8 x64's 1.9%). At its current growth rate it will be the leading gaming OS by March and (especially as Windows 10 has no planned replacement anywhere within the next decade) will become the one and only realistic platform for high-end PC gaming within two to three years, not to mention that devs will likely increasingly shun W7 and prior due to their lack of ARM and DX12 support. DirectX 9 as a standard is fourteen years old and 9.0c is twelve; the last real DX9 GPUs were put out nine years ago and DirectX 10 was, let's face it, almost stillborn.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016