ISI Track Team Tweets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miro, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'm basing that off what I remember reading from the numerous discussions on RealRoad and the green setting, from both users and ISI. It was described as being a freshly laid surface in terms of the grip being offered, hence the iceyness if it. Like not a single tyre has turned on it.
    Depends on how you use your realroad settings too as to the effect is has. I always set mine to autosave for the first session and have normal build up rate. So I have a nice mix of rubber over the track from different classes and on the places where the cars hit the curbs. I like that totally dynamic side of things, so I could see different paths that different cars had taken. I do that until it starts getting a bit heavy and then I start again.

But as I said, I'm torn because that preview looks very nice of course. You could almost get confused as to what the real pic is XD

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Some real series arrive at tracks as the first actual racing that's going to happen on it. Why shouldn't a sim allow you to emulate that?

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I'm in the "green track means clean curbs" brigade, would prefer them to rubber in as per the road but not overly fussed.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Looks are secondary matter, bigger problem at moment is the dynamics of realroad. The pre-generated realroad profiles and AI-generated profiles have too little grip off line, all grip is focused on the driving line. This is more or less not realistic. Basically on every track real life series can overtake using different lines, which is almost impossible with rF2, unless you race online, where realroad distribution is somewhat more even over the entire road. But 90% of time it doesn't offer realistic experience. This track curb effect is nice, but will solve nothing of above issue.

5. Miro

Miro Registered

That looks very nice!

6. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Agree 100% - makes the track look so much more alive.

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Yes. The main thing with lack of grip off the line comes from the marbles shredding from tires, not that the surface doesn't have good (but not optimal) grip.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They still will rubber in.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I was talking about real life.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Name one.

I cited the example of the closest thing we have seen to a brand new track (Indy road course earlier this year) and the curbs were covered in black marks BEFORE the race even started. Where on Earth is there a race on a track that is so new it hasn't had any testing or qualifying and a recognized series is holding a race there? All it takes is one hour of full field use to look like the sample pics of Atlanta from above, not days or weeks or years.

11. 88mphTim

F1 circus has a few times. Korea, Moscow?

12. PMC

PMC Registered

Would it be safe to assume (atleast in Aus) that all road courses are freshly painted before each major event (yearly) ? and the same for permanents ?, wouldn't they be fresh for there yearly series event , even if just for tv ? . I could understand club events and such putting up with dirty curbs but only for so long . I guess it depends on how well a track is being maintained .

I'm sure its fine either way , but I thought that was what real road was for , to be saved and reused as seen fit .

13. pkelly

pkelly Registered

I'm quite happy with clean curbs...or rubbered in ones...

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

Before the race started? As in after the practice sessions and qualifying?

Yeah, so set your practice to green, and then naturally progressing for qualifying session, warmup and the race...
    At the time before the race, there will be rubber down and rubber on the curbs where the cars have been hitting them. And on the places where no cars hit them, maybe some marbles but no rubber.

Didn't the drivers complain about the COTA surface for the same fresh surface reasons? IIRC is was only finished surface wise a tiny bit before the F1 race.

But this doesn't matter anymore does it XD
    It looks great with what they're doing, really looking forwards to the track :D

15. 88mphTim

Next season, people seriously need to watch and listen to FP1 in Melbourne. :) It'll be like ice, seriously.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Race Tracks do tend to paint their curbs during the off season too so it's not just brand new tracks that have rubberless curbs.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That's because of all the dust on the track :p. Moscow did get GP2 before the F1s took to grid, though. Still, true green tracks that get rubbered in offer very little tire degradation but I don't think we will be seeing that emulation anytime soon in any game.

18. Domi

Domi Registered

This is something that should get a bit of attention, as it is a very interesting point. Right now, in every track, out of the "ideal line", the grip is like if the track is totally green, and that is very unrealistic (unless if we compare it to a new track). The grip differences between ideal line and the rest are huge at the moment, and as stonec said in real life we can see overtakes using different lines (while overtaking, or while preparing an overtake). In online it is somewhat better, but it is still far from ideal.

19. bwana

bwana Registered

All depends on what you call clean really , two seater F1 is the first car on Albert Park at speed each year doing corporate runs, then the V8's normally get a run before F1 p1 starts as well. I guess it all depends on car choice which isn't use in game..

BTW I can watch Albert Park from both my Mums veranda and my sisters depending which sector I want to watch.

Think it looks great guys .

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So if you're simulating GP2 in that situation you'd want pretty much green, no? ;)

A sim should offer a reasonable range of options to simulate a reasonable range of scenarios. Having the tarmac tearing apart because of a freak 45°+ heatwave probably wouldn't be a reasonable expectation, but a 'completely' green track doesn't seem out of the question. Just because it almost never happens in a particular series doesn't mean it never happens. (this isn't aimed at you Guimengo!)

Still, a bit of rubber on the kerbs doesn't seem a big deal either way.

There's really no reason for it to be. A number (ok, at least one... I haven't looked at many...!) of ISI tracks have a lightly rubbered preset, and any track is able to provide a large number of presets so you don't start with a fully green track. It's really easy to do for a track maker because in Devmode you can manually set all realroad surfaces to a particular percentage of rubber, then save that to file as a starting point. So when visiting a race track that probably gets an amount of running between visits by the series you're simulating you can put a layer of rubber down everywhere (~30% I find ok), and then run some AI around it for a few laps on accelerated realroad so you get a bit of a race line rubbering in as well. Again it all depends on the series you're doing as to what suits, but it really should be normal practice for track makers to provide some varying presets and completely avoid the 'green offline' problem.

Also more recent versions of ISI tyres have had a lower grip boost from rubber, reducing this effect somewhat.