[OT] Anyone believe that pCars will become a real sim racing game when its released?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Jerry Luis, Nov 11, 2013.

1. F60

F60 Registered

I mentioned the sliding characteristics because the tyre physics are without doubt the hardest and most important aspect to model accurately in a car simulation. Without question, and the likes of iracing and rf2 still do not have this puzzle solved, especially rf2 which feels like ice past the limit. So the fact pcars is quite good in this area is very promising. All the other stuff you mention is important but it easier to solve and measure, and I don't think pcars is as bad as you say in these areas. Maybe some cars are but the main cars are very good especially the F1 which is the second best one I have driven in a sim after Ferrari academy.

by the way, Ben collins, 'the stig' is beta tester for the game and he gives a lot of feedback in the forums and he is quite happy with how the game is progressing. Most of the people who complain about vehicle dynamics don't understand half the stuff they are complaining about.

This depends so much on driving style, setup, track and car characteristics that its very hard to confirm what you are saying is true.

2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Pure Hardcore Simulator :D

3. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Build 179 Steve, Mars 2012.

4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

So its improved ? :p

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

No, they renamed pcars.exe to flighsim.exe and sold it like this ;)

Edit: I'll test how the Gumper fly those days to make a smart answer ;)

6. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

LOL In all seriousness it was this video that broke the camels back for me and that's when I got refunded. It would be good to know the physics have improved from your test. :)

7. Miro

Miro Registered

Just wondering Jerry. If the answer is no what would you call it then?

8. hoover

hoover Registered

The "SteamOS" logo at the end of the trailer caught my attention. If they have the client running on Linux, the server bit should be more or less trivial (if you even can set up private servers with pCARS, no idea, haven't tried it in a year or so).

While I agree the graphics look gorgeous in that trailer (which I'm sure is not completely free of some post-processing magic), back in the day when I still tried the weekly pcars builds the physics and ffb left much to be desired. Someone called rF2 "a beautiful woman dressed in rags" the other day, to which I replied "then pCARS is like chatting up a hot girl in a bar, only to have an Austin-Powers-style "It's a MAN, baby" experience when you take her home later ;)[1]

While this may have changed with the recent builds, I too believe the multitude of supported platform will define a lowest common denominator which can only hurt the sim experience. We'll see.

All the best, Uwe

[1]: Not meant to be derogatory or offensive to gay people and or those having undergone a gender change or doing so in the near future, seriously.

9. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Sorry, this is for me? I didn´t understand.

10. Miro

Miro Registered

Yes. If it is not a "real sim racing game", what would you call it then? Just curious ;)

11. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Ah ok. Arcade racing game? Apple product? Something in this direction.

12. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

It's a good-looking racing game and you're all allowed to like it even though it's not very realistic.

13. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this post are opinions, and should not be confused with facts that can be verified by anything other than the posters personal experience.

Yeah, I think pCARS will be a great sim when it's finished. SMS have done a lot of effective work to remove the "Shift" stain that it had when they first started. I haven't upgraded my machine since joining the pCARS development and it has continued to improve in both physics and general performance. I see no reason why it can't be a great sim. The continued progress shows them moving to that point.

For disclosure, I have spent most of my sim time with iRacing in the last 2 years, with heavy use of all ISI based sims before that(got my sim racing start in GTR2).

There is one statement regarding sims that makes my skin crawl everytime I hear it.

"Good graphics come at the expense of good physics." - I think that in this day and age, with the powerful PC's that we have access to, that this philosophy no longer has a place. Even worse, I think that this philosophy has a tendency to bias critical thinking when forming an opinion about pCARS, or any title really. Yes, we can have both good looking graphics, and great and "realistic" physics. And in fact we should be demanding both, imo.

I gave up any allegiance to any one sim racing game a long time ago. I have them all. None of them are perfect, but none of them are the best either.

As far as realism goes.... there isn't a sim made that is so close to real life racing. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being real life and 1 being Mario Kart, all of the sims I have played, and I have played them all, sit right about 3. More realistic than Mario Kart, but far away from the real world. And just to help define that a bit further, SMS's Shift series sat at about 1.1 for me.

14. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Ok, here my "jump festival" special dedicated to M. Steve, yeah! ;)

So don't ask me to analyze if this look real, feel real, look ugly, sound toy, etc. the purpose of this video was just to update, if update you see, the jump video posted by Steve and coming from a pretty old build 127 from Mars 2012 . Saying that, judging a car simulator (or whatever name you want to give to pcars it's your opinion you're free) by looking to the way cars jump is as stupid (IMHO no offence guys) than judging FlightSim by looking the physics of the wheels when rolling on the tarmac ;) Anyway some will laugh, some will be Waooo, some will have no opinion, it's up to you to argue, not me. The only thing I can say is that I believe they will go as far as they wanna go according what I can read and see from this past year.

Anyway, I let you judge if they improve physics when the 4 wheels leave the ground which is a far different story than managing physics of the 4 wheels on the ground according an heavy and very specialized discussion I followed on the physic department of SMS forum. Sorry for the bad quality, I didn't want to spend 12 hours uploading it ;)

Some jumps from PCars, current build 605:

15. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

The thing that really bugged me about that video--the sunglasses on the dash of that one vehicle didn't move when the car flipped on its side. That was not really a great design choice, but, I think that's a testament to how ridiculous those graphics are. That's something that I would never even notice on any other racing game, I think. I've honestly never seen a racing game look so absolutely gorgeous.

After seeing some videos, I'm really starting to think that I might be more interested in this game being a GT/Forza clone for PC rather than another sim with arguable physics, handling, FFB, etc... This looks like something that I could sit back on the couch with 360 controller in hand, and have a blast driving around like I used to with Gran Turismo, before I discovered 'sim' racing. Seriously, we have rF2, iRacing, GSC, AC (well, maybe not AC for me) for serious sim driving, but we don't have a really fun casual racing game with amazing graphics and decent approximated physics. I have no interest in the next-gen consoles, so this being on PC is great.

If they make the career mode progression fun, like Gran Turismo, and good online play like Forza, then this will be an easy purchase. If they try to go the 'pure sim' route though, then they *might* not succeed (or live up to current standards)...and that's a bigger waste of potential in my opinion than just going for casual fun.

16. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I didn't see any sunglasses on any of the dashes of those cars lol. I did see a gauge cluster on one of them. But I agree with you NWDogg.

17. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Hmm...maybe I misconstrued the gauge cluster as a pair of glasses? If so, that makes perfect sense then. I guess maybe the graphics are too good then, or my eyesight is getting bad, on or the other lol. I'll have to watch it again.

Edit: Yep, instrument cluster, on the Focus (or a car that looks like a Focus). Looks like a trip to the eye doctor is in order.

18. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

First off thanks for taking the trouble to record and upload and secondly thanks for confirming a few more things for me :)
    Seeing things like a 1000+ KG car fly for 100+ meters through the air just does not appeal to me, even the controlled jumps where you were able to carry on should have resulted in a snapped chassis lol. How can the Lotus with the majority of weight in the rear land on its nose.
    I don't regret refunding my tool-pack and spending the spare cash on the 2 URD mods. I can always repurchase pCars on release if by some miracle it morphs into a simulator but I doubt it will.
    The track in the video is a fantasy track ? If so why would the devs make such a jump/crest knowing full well the results of driving at speed over it if they were not targeting a certain group of users. Great fun but if that's what I wanted from a driving game I wouldn't have invested a fortune in equipment and just gone out and bought Track Mania and an xbox controller :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
  19. RJames

RJames Registered

I finally caved in and requested a refund. I just can't justify keeping money in the product when I don't play or enjoy it or even have it installed.

20. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

lol, good disclaimer...everyone should use this :p

I don't agree that we can have both perfect graphics and great physics just yet. Good gaming pc cost about 1000€ atm so everyone can't afford that. Not good sales if sim makers would market only those with high end pcs...of course there are lots of people with high end pcs but they are not all playing racing simulators.