Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domi

Domi Registered

Fair point, maybe in KS they have to improve their skills a bit then :D

2. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

So why they affirm they have alien skills drivers testing It? and that their telemetrys match real ones when It's clear not?

Do you see? AC driving It's fine, I like It too, and recreate greatly the driving sensation, but does not simulate accurately in some situations to achieve this feeling. So simple. And you will see when they release more cars and tracks to compare with other sims or real situations...

I'm waiting two real driver friends to test AC to give me their impressions (for now I only received impressions from other league mates that said the same I think about AC), one was F3 tester and last year DRIVEX F3 team engineer (and before competed in karting for long time), and other raced with some minor GT classes like Mini champs and won a free (for good results) entire championship test with a Porsche GT3. Both agree that rF2 is really great, and F3 guy even more (my teammate in some league races :) ) because he knows how to read telemetrys, is a beast with MoTeC :) I like to have him as teammate for setups :eek:

3. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Just want to clarify what I was talking about. You're conflating two separate issues, which might have been because I was unclear. The main thing I was talking about is that I can't get the car finely balanced and then control it on that edge the way I do a real car. It's either understeering or OMG-do-something-quick oversteering, and very, very rarely in that beautiful zone of yes-I'm-balanced-and-going-quickly. However I definitely did not say it was "impossible to upset the F Abarth." I can absolutely upset it, on curbs or off, if I try to.

The OTHER issue, which I was referencing to illustrate that having data doesn't make everything right, is that if you drive the line that Costa takes in that chicane at a decent speed you'll find that the sim car bounces like mad when it comes back down off the curbs. Esteve has been referencing this a bunch of times but unfortunately I don't know of any videos that illustrate it yet. If you've ever driven the Radical in iRacing you'll know what I mean. It's often called "pogo'ing" with that car. In other words it's an oscillation, caused either by insufficient damping in the suspension or the tires, that causes the car to take far too long to settle after hitting a bump or a curb at speed.

4. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Turn cubemap to low... that should give you more FPS. The cube map is very very heavy.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Guys, there's a billion reasons why sim times and real times might not match up at times. If that is your basis to judge AC -or- rF2, then it isn't the right approach in every case. Hell, we even had someone when the Marussia was released asking how he was so much faster than the real times, and the answer was: Because it was raining during the time the real guys were running, and he was comparing dry times. There could be tire differences (even in the same tire, listen to what F1 drivers say, NASCAR drivers say "that set of tires weren't as good as the previous ones"), there could be track grip differences (for lots of reasons, dust, rain, incompatible rubber, compatible rubber), there could have been wind in a specific direction to a turn that made them have to lift, you don't know, and you can't ever know. So, please, the "I'm faster so it means x" comments go nowhere, so there's no point getting riled up when someone posts about time differences, or to question a sim because of them.

6. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

The problem is when a developer says It matches in the sim... and they tested It with alien drivers (I can't find now the post, but they literally said the had drivers with alien skills, refering to top simracing drivers). I think It is just to lie, not to believe yours is better, just lie. Lap times doesn't really matter in any sim, only as guide, but not as objetive.

7. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

I can see this thread heading downhill so I'm going to bow out. But before I do I'll leave you with another story, which some of you might find amusing (or possibly offensive) as well as interesting.

When I was young and stupid I had far too little supervision and too much testosterone. And so I wrecked a lot of street cars by going too fast on public roads. They were all single car accidents and I was never injured since I had the good sense to wear a seatbelt (this was the 80's, so it was actually uncommon) and I endeavored to avoid doing it in trafficked areas. The cars were nothing fancy, but that makes it even more relevant. Most of them were front-wheel-drive cars.

To hear some people tell it, pretty much the only way to wreck a street car when going too quickly is by understeering off. How I wish that were true, because most of my accidents involved oversteer and 180 degree spins where I backed it off the road. Speeds were usually in the neighborhood of 50-80mph. Yes, I was very lucky. In several instances I'm still amazed to this day how I could have traveled so far off road, into brush and wooded areas, and not struck a tree. Very lucky.

But the point of this story is that most of the time I did not plow off into the woods. I went off backwards, having spun a full 180 degrees shortly after the car left the road. In the one instance where I managed to flip a car (an '82 Trans Am which yes, gives you an idea of just what brand of idiot I was), it spun 90 degrees before going off and digging into the earth. ALL of these spins were caused by lifting off abruptly while turning. One was in a Honda Accord. Another in a CRX. Those are "safe" front-wheel-drive cars. I spun my Miata once the same way, lifting off too abruptly while turning. I spun a Civic Si the same way. Those last two were AFTER I had attended racing school and had a decent idea what I was doing!

So when I hear people talk about how safe and understeery and hard to spin a street car is, I always wonder, how many times have they wrecked or lost control of one? I suspect the answer is often none, because I was enough of an idiot to actually take cars up to the limit of adhesion. But if it's none, then how can they be so certain?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  8. Miro

Miro Registered

Spot on!
    I've destroyed 4 cars the same way and lost them plenty of times before I destroyed them.
    Had an E30 and this car was so easy to loose when acting like race driver with 18 years without any proper knowledge about driving, no matter the speed. Not the best tires, RWD and just over little 100 :eek: HP.

9. baked bean

baked bean Registered

If it's any consolation Matt ive wrote of few cars myself, rolled a nissan bluebird and a vauxhall nova, smashed up a ford orion, vauxhall astra GTE, a Ford fiesta or 2 and a austin montego. Now who's the idiot :p :D

10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I though my GTX 680 could handle it :s

11. 88mphTim

I think that's a pretty strong word for what you're describing, to be honest. It sounds like a pretty open description (I haven't seen the quote to which you refer), something 'matching' to me, might be different to you. :)

12. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Considering those brands and makes, you made a service to human kind :)

13. 88mphTim

The BTCC car is quite sensitive, and we're going to have to write a long description of why (car construction and physics), simply because I know some will question it. The car is also very easy (for me at least) to have a massive slide, very, very sideways, and ultimately correct when you get things very wrong (and those who watch BTCC and think it took skill, maybe not?) and yep, front wheel drive... :) Unfortunately, knowledge and experience like yours doesn't penetrate with those people it needs to.

14. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

I'll also quickly add: In only TWO instances did I go off-road, out of control, and nose first. In one case (the afore-mentioned Accord, poor car) I had the brakes completely locked up and in the other I genuinely understeered off, but it was in the wet in an Olds '88. So...yeah. That was it. Two out of more than I want to count.

15. Olivier Prenten

Olivier Prenten Registered

Well! I have them both and imho they can't actually be compared because they are different! One in advanced beta, the other one in early phase! So don't go too fast with judgements! Let simply the time go... For sure, they are both excellent! I like them both and I wouldn't be able to choose between one or the other!

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

too much chit chat, not enough racing going on here! seeing as this is ACs first release and we're on page 21 then that must be good, right?!

17. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

I'm sure I'm not alone around here. :)

18. baked bean

baked bean Registered

lol Johannes, I try to do my bit ;) It was a while ago, my brother used to sell me these old part exchange bangers from the car lot dirt cheap, which reminds me, add a vauxhall cavalier sri to that list too, the 1 with the recaro seats, they never lasted long but did we had some fun down that riverbank waste ground. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  19. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Oh, right, sometimes I exagerate :eek:

20. 88mphTim

That's very cool, but I have no idea how that relates in any way to what was posted. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.