Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I will go over what impressed me in AC. The overall polish of the interface. The GUI is very well done. The load times are also incredibly short. 5secs to load the car and track on a traditional hard drive is impressive. The GFX, even on my old 5770 were good. I got good framerates too. But the input lag is totally out of control.

After doing some digging I see the menu interface runs under a different process from the actual sim and the UI is actually HTML5. I would love to see ISI break the sim off of the UI. iRacing does this too. People could build some really nice UIs if they switched to HTML5. The current UI is a pain to work with. There are no WYSIWYG editors. You have to do it all in Notepad and do a lot of trial and error. If it was HTML5 we could use any off the shelf tool to build the UI.

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

There is no such thing as 100% realism. It cannot be ever achieved, I am not sure if rF2 is even at 10%. Sure thing, it seems to be the most realistic race car sim on market still. Always when there has been new simulator game of any sort, it is said to be the most realistic. But that means TO DATE. Like Indianapolis 500 Simulator is not even remotely close to what it tries to be, rF2, AC, pCARS, iRacing is either. But because we are not living in the future, that is all we got.

3. Jason Kinchington

Jason Kinchington Registered

Hi all

AC seems more real to me
    I've got a BMW 325 oldish one

Been playing AC now for 2 days and AC seems like I'm driving my own car with grip levels
    I've only raced little 250cc go-karts about 10-15 years ago so I've got no experience with cars on a track

Rf2 does feel slightly slippery in till lots of rubber is down and too unpredictable again not sure if is the case on track IRL
    But my don't feel like that on normal roads

4. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

all these posts make me really eager to try the AC BETA after the Tech Demo. Not that the demo blew me away; the lifeless scenery and bluntness of that Elise didnt really convince me. Now, in spite of the numurous posts claiming that the AC Beta doesn't make up to its promise, or even because of these, I really think about having it a try myself.

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

@Johannes

Right but it must have been a reason why ISI needs so much time, either someone outer there is awesome or tricking where he can. In any case, i assume that the work of ISI is more scientific.

6. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I'm almost 100% sure they are using Pacejka model, because of one of their "dev apps", you can activate an option and see the force/slip angle curves in every moment depending on the tyre load and that stuff, just in the same way as Pacejka magic formula.

I will show you a video in 2 or 3 hours (now I have to go for my little brother to his school hahaha) showing that to ensure if I'm correct or not.

7. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

People should leave behind the idea "the more difficult, the more realistic".

Gather the 20 best simracers in world and put them in a LAN under a 0 ping delay, you'll still see much more crashes, run offs and incidents than a real race. Maybe it'd be a philosophical question, but what's the point to simulate every small car reaction since you'll always be not capable to make the proper corrections due the lack of G-force and accurate FFB?

How many spins did you guys see in F1 this year? Racing cars connects to the driver, the driver is felling much more we can feel as simracers. It seems to me more realistic a race with 2 - 10% retirements than those classical online demolition derbies.

I'm for the idea that should be a limit for efforts in the pursuit for the "real physics" at least everyone had access to a motion seat and new FFB technologies.

That being said, I tried Assetto Corsa. RF2 has more detailed physics, no questions about it. RF2 has better FFB too, by a quite large margin. But, AC physics is believable. It has much to improve yet, but it looks like they're on a proper way.

By other hand, AC has noticeable better graphics. It's GPU demanding in fact, but I was impressed by the solid FPS during all the time. Lowering the cubemap to the middle and reducing AF, I got 130 FPS with very little peaks. I couldn't get it from RF2 not even in my dreams.

AC has also a better (much better) interface organization which allows easy navigation (RF2 is a mess).

All in all, RF2 has more potential from the scratch but the time is passing and its brute qualities are not coming true.

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I like AC, but I think that we are going so much far over with the compliments!
    It's more easy to develope a software like AC, without a lot of features like Real road, changable weather, day/night's progression and until now it has even no carrier mode and no online-mode!
    I saw a lot of appreciations about AC's performance, but they don't take in consideration that it is only one car on the track! for example, with rf2 i can achieve about 65-80 fps with 5760*1080p with only one car and it is the same performance that I'm having with AC these days!

9. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

I'm tending to agree with your first statement, but is it already confirmed AC will not have full night / day cycle and dynamic weather? That would be very disappointing.

PS. Random comment but with some connection: Regarding to dynamic weather and timing, have a look what RockStars did in GTAV with a really POOR hardware (PS3 processor and GPU is laughable in comparison to a high-end PC).

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it will just not with v1.0

11. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

Advanced setup options and telemetry for data analysis; dynamic simulation of the tyre rubber deposited on track, depending on the car laps; an adjustable time of the day mode, featuring sun position calculated in realtime, depending by geographical coordinates of the track and by the sun curve according to time and date, in order to get the same light conditions of the real tracks!

12. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

13. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Nothing bad about AC but they make going fast too easy, very similar to the tech demo. Ego trip for many and hence the instant love story. Sorry fellow sim couch potatos but going fast isn't easy, takes focus and practice. No different from any other sport. I think it was even said by Tim that rF2 isn't as punishing as RL and I believe it.
    You don't see spins in F1 often just like you don't see tennis balls going into the stands at Wimbledon often. This is the top of the talent pool, go to your local track day and you see plenty spins. I use the same racquet as Andy Roddick but for some reason I hit a hell of a lot more errors.
    Don't take my word for it btw, sign up for a day at your local track and get educated. The 458 vid is sloppy and reminds me of the preview. Some brilliance in the experience however bland overall because there is no edge to fear.

14. rene-xmg

rene-xmg Registered

15. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Just visually, and they said that dynamic weather would not be in 1.0 version, and like that, lots of things.

Ah, and that dynamic change of visual rubber, It's not dynamic ;)

16. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Amen! I think this should actually be stickied as it sounds true (in my opionion at least) regardless of the sim being discussed.

17. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Some of us have been driving PC sims for YEARS=10000's of laps....do you really think that until someone's done 50 000 000 laps, only then he can be as good as RL racing Gods...?

18. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Small correction, they make going not fast easy... Just like it really is. When you go to the shops, do you see cars doing uncontrollable spins at 30kmh everywhere? When you're doing a long corner on an off or onramp for a highway at 120kmh and you lift your throttle, does that warrant an instant spin in the barriers? Because that's sadly what happens quite alot in an iRacing or rF2.
    Just driving a car around isn't difficult, it's finding that limit and driving on it that's difficult which AC does pretty great.

I've done multiple trackdays with my E30, even a couple on Toyo 888 tires (at Spa) and guess what, I'm still alive. And I did lift the throttle mid corner at La Source without magically spinning around ;)

19. liebestod

liebestod Registered

I think you can do 100000000000000000000000000 laps on the most realistic sim in the world and still be a terrible race car driver in real life. We're a bunch of flesh and blood mammals who have an instinct not to kill ourselves, and race car driving sends a lot of signals to us that we are about to die. No sim is ever going to be able to convey that.

:D

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well obviously.. I guess I should have said "strive for 100% realism". Other companies aren't striving for 100%. They know that 100% without physical forces on our bodies is going to be harder to drive. The problem with fudging the physics to compensate for the lack of physical forces is it ends up feeling like pCARS and AC. Fudged physics isn't striving for 100% in my opinion. Sure it may feel real to the people who haven't even driven in real life. People think real cars are un spinnable. Trust me, they are spinnable. If people drove without fear, pushing the limits like they do in a sim, we would see way more spins in real life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.