Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

30 minutes!? ah... ok
    I have AC from 3 days and i'm still under testing.
    It's better to try things in detail ... i think...
    Actually imho AC shows me any time more the potential. It can't be PERFECT now, but when i read that "it's similar to RRE o Pcars"... the balls abandon me.. =)

MAH!?

2. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I think to say It's like RRE or PCARS It's exaggerated too :p or I hope It... I didn't tested RRE or PCARS.

And about Pacejka... I don't know if they are using It or not, but close to 0km/h speeds It behaves in the same way as the rest of Pacejka based simulators.

3. RodBarker

RodBarker Registered

Its a bit early to judge AC , it seems better than RF2 was at the same stage of release , its way to grippy I was taking corners in the open wheelers at top speed and not even touching the brake but Im sure that will all be tweaked as it moves along , if it makes the same level of improvement as RF2 has in the latest builds its going to be a good sim , AC looks very clinical while RF2 has that bit of retro grit to its look .both are very nice to look at , I like the AC interface , on a off topic note Id like Arma 3 to have an interface like AC has it would make A3 so much easier to get into .

As for driving feel in a race sim , the best out there right now is Game Stock Car 2013 it feels awesome and the AI is spot on , GSC in my humble opinion is the best driving Sim thats been made so far , I hope RF2 can surpass it as it sure has the potential too , looks like a great time for sims .

4. Domi

Domi Registered

Stefano admitted in another interview that AC is based on a "base slip curve" tire model, which is quite similar to rFactor (and it doesn't mean it's a bad thing). In fact you can see the slip curves in one of the dev apps.

The model we see in netKar Pro V1.3, Ferrari Virtual Academy (FVA), and AC are all based on the idea of generating a “base” slip curve that is then adapted to the behaviour of the tyre.

http://ravsim.com/2012/08/27/stefano-casillo-on-netkar-pro-part-2/

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I love rf2, but AC is a great sim too!

6. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Nice video GT. Game looks real nice and clean. As mentioned earlier maybe too clean. I hate to be that guy, I'm in the camp that says the more Sims the better, but the sounds r all type of wrong. The car has a flat plane crank so it should sound almost like a Ferrari, at least the ALMS ones did. Not to mention that everytime u downshift I can't help but cringe and look in ur mirrors for the pieces of engine and gearbox that should b falling out :)

Also wanted to thank all you guys for ur opinions. I wasn't a big fan of the Tech demo so wasn't going to get it on release. I think I'll let it simmer for a while and see what it turns into.

7. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I constantly take the michael out of one of my mates who does that. He comes from GT5 and I call it his gearbox brake :). I keep threatening to turn on the damage to show him how long he will last.

8. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Haha. I really wasn't trying to knock his driving style. Its kind of a like a F1 downshift and i know a lot of people do it. The sound sample that's used there though just seems to make it sooo much worse.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

+1

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I dont understand how Kunos could have so much of this simcadiness too it, I thought he was hardcore. I was so excited for AC too

11. rer8

rer8 Registered

Bought it yesterday. The download and install were flawless, as expected with Steam. The physics were somewhat improved over NetKar, but will need work to meet the Benchmark set by rF2. I am generally much more interested in the function of the Simulated car physics and available tracks and their integration into the game play. It is very early to judge the estimated 30% better frame rates that I observed in this early release of AC over that of rF2. As track details such as real road and changing weather are further improved in rF2 it will set a standard that will take time for Kunos and his team to equal. I really enjoyed the Lotus 67 and the manual transmission in AC. AC will need work to make the in game performance of the cars equal that of rF2. It is to be seen how AC incorporates the online function, and incorporates the community of mod makers. It took "NetKar" a long time to accept and incorporate community efforts. So that to is to be seen. Both Titles have a way to go in the area of the User Interface. I think that there will be healthy competition between AC and rF2, which will in the end, benefit both companies and the simulator racing community in general. Finally, remember that rF2 has been available to the community for over two years. I am glad to own both.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I worked at an F2000 school almost everyday for 8 months and was one of the lucky few who 1 on 1 on-track instructed some hot-shot up and coming karting guys. The real life cars act very similiar to the RF2 versions and the iracing versions, and the V4 iracing one was, in my opinion, even more accurate than the V5 iracing one; when taken to the limit around a lap in the hands of a capable driver the V4 seemed to act more true to it's real life counterpart than the V5, yet it seems more people are happy and accepting of the V5 just because it feels more stable and in-control to the player.

It seems sim players nowadays don't want sims anymore, they want 85% sim with compromises/"fudging"/dumbing-down of the last 15% in order to make up for our lack of feeling and connection that you get in real life, and in order to make the driving and lap-times slightly more accesseable to a wider audience, yet still feeling hardcore to most people.

I thought 2012 and on would be the bright ages of simracing with RRRE, RF2, AC, IRacing and so on. However, with the widespread of "sims", I feel the sim developers are being pressured by competition, sales, customers etc. to go for this 85% sim/15% simcade philosophy; if that's the case, then I ask.........

...Are we entering a dark age regarding 100% as hardcore as possible physics racing sims? Is this a new age of "true, industrial style" sims being phased out and replaced by 85% hardcore/15% compromised to "feel good and in control" style sims? I pray for the sake of my number 2 life passion (only number 2 to real life racing) that it is not.

13. liebestod

liebestod Registered

You haven't even played the game dude.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The car reactions and movements and just overall dynamics of it seem completely different on the AC and real life onboard lap comparison post that Esteve Rueda posted in this thread. The real life one has tons of grip due to the power-to-grip ratio, but when pushing the rear can still move around and corrections are needed and improper technique or just pushing too hard still makes the car movement very dynamic, where as the AC version seems very un-dynamic as if there is no fidelity to it's physics. I believe Esteve explained it extremely well in that post.

15. Kreis

Kreis Registered

First off I just want to mention I won't be making a comparison between the two. I just wanna showcase INGAME screenshots I took of a really good lap at monza in the bmw m3 gt2. This photo was all with the in game app for photo mode. I merely adjusted the time of day to get the sun to the exact point I wanted.

Here they are (all the same moment, just different angles):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. liebestod

liebestod Registered

Remember how many people argued against comparing rF2 videos to onboard cam videos because it's totally misleading and confusing, lol.

17. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Not more than a month ago, "rF2 needs more grip", "Why cant you look like AC", "Tire model is so bad", "Its like driving on ice, AC techdemo is the beesknees".... and now this crying about the opposite. I'm sure that before either game is "complete", this whining fest changes targets about 400 times. :rolleyes:

Could we get something like this for sim racers?
    http://www.turnzero.com/technical_resources.php?resource=racing_excuse_generator

Im having fun with both games, and both are full of issues, but hey.. nothings perfect. :eek:

18. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I have no idea what you are talking.

netKar PRo uses a Pacejka model according to public sources, eg

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Comparison_of_racing_simulators

and according to what Kunos himself posted in a italian forum years ago.

I asked a simple question about AC and i miss to understand why my question sounds to you as a "false assumption" (you quoted me).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  19. Adrian

Adrian Registered

After a bit more testing I've found with 16x AF I have 130fps and with no AF I have 320fps. So if anyone's looking for more FPS try lowering your AF :D

20. Uff

Uff Registered

In fact it isn't: we're finally approching the age of "I control the car and I know what I did wrong when I spin" after ages of "I've been driver by the car and I spin withouth knowing why". And that's a huge step forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.