Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

It'll do well at 1080p, won't be able to fully max it, but close......no need for an upgrade that's for sure.
    7950 here...

2. captslow

captslow Registered

I am very pleased with AC as it is just the first release with I am sure many improvements to come - now that said, I am surprised that none here has mentioned the x-bow in AC, its my favorite car at the moment and men it rocks, the interior view is just mind boggling concerning details and clarity. Also have any of you noticed the amazing details like the vibrating shift knob in the classic Lotus? Its these details were AC really shines for me. I drive a 500 Abarth in real life and also enjoy the digital version in AC which is pretty close. Anyhow, just my 2 cents, yes there are lots of areas that will need improvement but again with it being the 1st official build, its amazing for what it is. Cheers

3. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

This thread pretty much is what I expected to read except for the actual FFB and physics. I definitely was expecting if it wasn't dead equal to rf2 it would actually be better but so much for that. I think I'll pass on this one until further in the development stage.

4. Domi

Domi Registered

Good luck playing with max shadows on a 20 car grid, at least with AMD cards.

But well, even with max shadows it's still way off.

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Good luck playing with 20 AI in AC...

I kid, I just had to! XD

6. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Over on the Kunos forums a dev commented on this car and about the grip questions. he said that they had this car at their studio and the track that the studio is at, many many times. He said that every single statistic about the car, be it grip strength at certain mph, or around a turn, and suspension... everything about the virtual version matches up with the data recordings of the real thing in every way. I can't find the post right now, but it was interesting. I wish the cars were more challenging to drive, but if its real its real. i guess it just comes down to if you trust kunos.

7. SripleTix

SripleTix Registered

Guys, we have "THE" formula Abarth, 20 meters under our offices several times every year. We use AC one to prepare newbies and to train veteran drivers. We had access to any kind of data that exist, and the telemetry (at vallelunga, same track) says that our DOES it on the same way: second gear, full throttle, no dangers, full grip...
    Laptimes are difficult to compare. Before driving the real one, Instructors brainwash drivers on how much does cost to even scratch one, how much to bend a suspension arm ecc ecc
    But you don't know how many times we could literally overlap telemetries...
    You have to live with it.

:)

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

The interesting bit there is the virtual version matches up to the data recordings. No idea how they matched it up, but I'm guessing to measure grip, they measure gforce being carried by the car, and measure it at various points at a track to make sure it is in the right area, i.e not flying through a hairpin at twice the speed of the real thing.

While I don't doubt what they say and the work they've done, maybe its the way it gets to that peak level is whats bothering people. Not so much the outright grip, but the ease in getting to that level and then they way it acts going over that limit.
    The vid someone posted of the real car at Vallelunga shows the driver putting in very little lock exiting turns, and sometimes correcting slight slides that go a bit too far. Balancing on that edge. The video from the game at the same track is way different. Same laptime roughly, and probably the same kinds of corner speed but they got those times in what look like 2 different cars in the way they act. Hope this makes sense XD

9. Tukkeuma

Tukkeuma Registered

Its funny how some people think that the most difficult sim must be the most realistic. I own both sims and yes, Assetto corsa is more grippy and easier to drive, but i don't think its a bad thing. First time i drove skip barber in RF2 i was spinning the car all the time. It feels like driving on ice honestly. There is no way real life car would be that difficult to drive on dry tarmac. Anyone who has driven a go-cart on dry tarmac knows how much grip it has in real life, and i don't think skip barber would be that much worse.

10. Led566

Led566 Registered

I do see a difference: the two videos have completely different POV.

My experience on the AC Taatus is different than yours.
    Still I won't be able to go under 1:36 (of course you are a better simracer than me and it's clear from your video :p) but what I saw is in line with the Nicolas Costa video.

11. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

That car is driving on ice if you use regional version, litterally, you have to make use of grat driving techniques to push that cars, just search few vdeos about rookies spinning around at 80km/h like they were in oil. Most of time you will see proffesional guys driving smooth and fast, and also simdrivers driving smooth and fast too, with some corrections needed sometimes. To see cars spinning in real life in YT videos is not as usual as see good drivers because videos you see is as I said from proffesionals, but with Skip is a good example of real life of what happen when you do not use the correct way to drive the car:

This guy is not pushing, he is going really slow, but the incorrect throttle input makes him to spin.

It's not about hard or easy, It's about the need to use the correct driving techniques. GTR in rF2 can be hard at begining, but learning how the car behaves and learning how to drive It fast... It's a beast with tond of grip and an awesome turn speed. In AC you don't need to take care about little details, yes, you also need to know how to drive fast, but no more, you can be as aggressive as you want and you will hardly spin, and if you spin will be because you did something weird... my video shows how I push from 0% to 100% throttle with any car reaction, the POV doesn't matter, see at pedals telemetry, full throttle over some kerbs in mid turn phase and full throttle in a chicane where in real life It's impossible to do easily in that way.

And Kunos saying that laptimes are totally matched and also you need to master and learn the car to match real ones... makes me laugh, no more than 15 laps needed to almost reach Lacosta's time in Vallelunga with any sense of being at the grip limit, I'm only limited by understeer. I'm sure with 30 mins of training I could do 1 secong faster than Lacosta with default setup, I don't know how fast with a nice one...

Was said before... but It seems like Kunos is wanting to match the "feeling of driving the car" with no care about real reactions, you can drive fast with less kick ass reactions than in realiyty to get a nice driving time. It's weird how easy a "decent" simdriver can match realtimes with no practice, I'm far from be an alien, so much people are faster than me, and I needed only 15-20 laps to match real time in Vallelunga with F Abarth, and 15-20 laps to match real times it Imola with GT2.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  12. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

uhm

but the tyres are the same?

13. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

If you are talking about Skip Barber, yes, regional version have street tyres. The difference against regional is that national can be pushed harder, less braking distance, more cornering speed, and more grippy feeling, youu can push earlier in corner exits. I think is easier to drive, but you need to use the correct driving techniques too to drive It, if you release throttle pedal from 100% to 0% during turning you will get a kick in the ass as in regional version.

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

What's the problem with AMD?

15. Tukkeuma

Tukkeuma Registered

Well of course there is no skip barber in AC so direct comparison is impossible. Maybe it would be really difficult to drive in AC too, i don't know. Anyway this is direct quote from Aristotelis (one of the developers of AC): "...actually, while working on AC many times me and Stefano are discussing about "is it really that much grip sensation correct?" and we go to double check values, data and real life experience." Because they do real life testing, i trust that the game is close to reality too.

Don't get me wrong, i like rFactor2 too but i personally find AC grip levels being closer to real life.

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

I don't want to go into the details here, if i would be interested in i would do this in the forum provided for this purpose. It is an incomplete beta and it was not fair to make a final judgment and for the first run it is still impressive imho. There are only few details that need to be optimized and the goal is reached, except from the already complete missed features. To what extent this is good, bad or is simulated i don't know.

However, I see no deformation of the tire, even worse, i feel nothing. It also completely lacks dynamism and the steering rack is too slow. The entire kinematic seems to be eliminated by the steering sim and the feeling is based only on the surface/patch, regulated by patch load and aligned on the longitudinal axis with the help of strong constant centering spring forces. Any damping effect, adds to it.

As already mentioned i have the feeling the tyre physics is simplified and the steering bad interpreted, at least ffb wise. Lets see what the updates will do for me but atm i'm not going to drive it much.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  17. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Well... to get same cornering G force, and the same acceleration, doesn't matter. In rF2 you can get the same cornering G forces in every car as real equivalents, I'm sure in AC too. The problem is... how do you get that grip? in AC you need nothing, just turn your whell and push, the car will limit you in most of cases by understeer and sometimes with an extrange power loss when It would begin to slide (and no, I have not TC, with TC It's just weird how It works xD), you will rarely break the point you begin to slide and need to countersteer in this cars in habitual situations (You can do It only if you force to get It). In rF2 you can get the same or even more grip, but to get It you need a setup, and to drive fine and smooth, balancing correctly your car and not pushing more than needed. In AC you can push more than needed and nothing happens, you can't overdrive the car a Lacosta's do in Hungaroring, to can't exit a corner pushng full throttle and sliding the car as you can clearly see in videos I'm talking about.

And saying this... what is correct? AC forced grip levels or rF2 where you need to find that grip because It really exists?

Would you say this is a slippery car? This guy do It looks easy only beacuse he is driving It correctly, grip levels are totally OK, It's an awesome lap, even more grip than in real life I would say... :eek: :

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm assuming it's ( grip feeling ) intent (steam release) and i would consider it simply as satisfactory but not outstanding and completely correct.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Re.modding for AC, there seems to be some in progress already, no idea what sort of job modders will have working with AC although there seems to be some pretty handy "apps" that pull in from the side, (if dev mode enabled ) that's how's tire dynamics etc

i hope no one minds me posting these here (especially the creators of these wip mods )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. zonder

zonder Registered

I was waiting for My SimVibe to include finally update so i can enjoy my ButtKicking Rig, and i got that message : *-Added basic support for the Asseto Corsa Beta

* Please note that some effects may not function or not function as well as they would in other games. Assetto Corsa does not provide all of the critical data elements required for professional motion and tactile feedback therefore overall quality is reduced relative to other more robust simulation games.

Hmm does that mean is still early for Assetto, or is it going to share shelve with GT5?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.