Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

had the most enjoyable experience this morning, opened up RF2 and had a blast with the AI. Finished that race and fancied a quick Time Attack in AC so went there. Just finished with the biggest grin on my face, two fantastic Sims both with very bright futures...now time for a beer!

2. yanaran

yanaran Registered

Agree with what Sam Moss wrote above. There are however a few tweaks you have to do yourself in my opinion to get the game to a decent level:

In your graphics driver display settings, set max pre-rendered frames to 1. For some reason the game uses the display driver default, which seems to be 3. I think this is an oversight on the developers side, any game of this nature should by default force the lowest possible delay settings, but setting this manually will get rid of the display lag (or input lag as some call it, semantics in my opinion).

Lower the FFB gain ingame to 0.5-0.6, not raise it as most seem to do. With the default setting of 1 the FFB will clip in just about every corner and it makes for a very dull FFB feeling. This way it will be weaker, but you can actually feel more of the details.

Change FOV by using + and - keys. With the total lack of documentation it took me quite a while to find this until someone mentioned it on the official forums. Alternatively manually edit your Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\camera_onboard.cfg file to change the "FOV=XX" line.

Increase the FFB rate in steam\steamapps\assettocorsa\system\cfg\assetto_corsa.ini from 100 to 333, "MAX_FF_RATE_HZ=333". This was lowered in a recent update to test if it fixed the problem with oscillating wheels but really just made FFB worse.

With these changes it's in my opinion the second best racing sim out there right now as far as driving is concerned. It's still a bit of a ripoff to charge 35 euro for a "time trial demo" though, but hopefully it won't be too long until they add some kind of racing at least... For now though I have to say I love driving the BMW street cars around!

3. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

What I REALLY like:

* Grafix
    * Overall behavior of the car while going over curbs and bumps. including all the sound effects
    * Easy UI to place different info boxes across the screen
    * Triple screen tool! So easy to setup!

Though....

I can do impressive lap times without any practice with any car. while in rFactor I really need practice etc. I do not have any real life race experience. So not sure what would be the right feel. It feels better at times cause rFactor feels to icy to me sometimes, but AC cars are glued to the road, especially the Formula car o_O I have to work to spin...

I think both offer unique features. Overall very happy with it. I like having both :)

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg\assetto_corsa.ini

IN FILE :

[ASSETTO_CORSA]
    SLEEP_TIME=-1
    WARNINGS_AS_ERRORS=0

[MIRRORS]
    RESOLUTION=512

[FORCE_FEEDBACK]
    MAX_FF_RATE_HZ=333

[AC_APPS]
    ENABLE_DEV_APPS=1

----------------------------------------------------

enable apps to 1

-gives loads more apps ( pull in side menu ) found a lovely seat & head pitch adjustment ( was that there already? )
    + a stack of other stuff if you want to have a play
    ive lowered mirror res too

AC run rock solid on my PC, I've now capped at 121fps (same as Iracing) yet it looks a lot better (not complaining about iracing),
    It loads quickly too. Very nice polished software engine, few critical things missing but it's very very good for 1st beta release, hope the updates are decent, guess it will be mainly content & features

Everything calibrated without a hitch too

5. pas74

pas74 Registered

fps??? one car on the track??

6. Giuseppe Toscano

Giuseppe Toscano Registered

rfactor2 brabham gp Brianza one car max setting 35/40 fps
    AC lotus 49 gp Brianza one car max setting 60 fps
    PC: 4 Gbram ,7870XT OC 1150, FX 8320 OC 4.7 GZ

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Haha cheers mate! Us simracers really are spoiled these days. Nothing but great sims emerging left and right, imo. :)

8. M4nkey

M4nkey Registered

I like having a sim with a few more street versions of supercars. Also from the videos it looks perfect for tail-sliding and mocking about, which is a tiny bit impossible with full grown racers like in rF2. All in all, it's nice to have both. A great time for simracing and simracers with all the brilliant games we can play :3

Edit: The only thing we are missing right now is a next gen RBR successor *winkdirtmodeplswink* ;D

9. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

What about WRC4? *bursts out laughing, grabs hat and coat and bolts for the door*

10. Jason Kinchington

Jason Kinchington Registered

I think Ac does feel and look good
    I think rf2 feels and looks good

Just glad both are installed and don't need to DVD swap lol

It's gonna be a good few years for pc sims I think

11. M4nkey

M4nkey Registered

Haha xD

12. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Because of this (and lots of videos that shows how you have to fight this car):

I hate that car in AC, It's just full throttle all the time, even in 2nd gear tight turns, and even jumping as crazy whil you fly over kerbs. It's weird, and apart the weird grip that car has, there is an annoying behaviour of suspensions, the car is ALL the time bouncing in a really strange way, and when you touch a kerb aggressively you can stay bouncing during all the turn and even in exit like hell. And more... when you lose the car in fast turns during braking It's weirdly easy to stay pushing full throttle with any spin or control lost. I tried to use Hard compound and lowest aero config and tried to use harder suspension, the results are the same, only a little more understeer, but no signs of oversteer.

And more... in AC when you lose grip with Formula (something you will not see because is really hard...), despite you are pushing full throttle, you lose suddenly much speed, and the car suddenly again gains grip and gain speed again (still full throttle all the time). It's all really strange :(

PS: and BMW GT2 have less understeer than Formula Abarth... and the same braking points than Formula even reaching way more speed, I'm not an expert, but the feeling of these competition cars are just weird and arcade like.

Edit: the impression I have of AC now It's... allways strange, I feel natural reactions, nice graphics and epic replays, and confortable driving, but nothing about the fear of spin or lose control. I feel like I drive safely despite pshing the car as hard as I can, because I allways feel like were lots of grip to use, but when I push more, I only get understeer, If I do not push more Its not because I can spin or lose control.... It's only because If I do It I will go straight due this "all the time here" understeer. And If anyone of you say that is reallistic... get out of here and go play AC... 48 hours playing non stop and I mastered 11 cars (in any other sim I would need that time to master 1 car or 2 as max), I can race with them in "the limit" during hours with no fear to spin, that's a weird feeling.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  13. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Pretty good post until the last three words.

14. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I'm obviously exagerating xD AC is far from be a simarcade, and I feel better drivng some street cars... but sometimes I feel Kunos is doing the same he did with last NKP patch...

15. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

Do you push the car to the limit? See Costa in Vallelunga, and push the car at the limit like him.. ;-)

16. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I can ensure you I push even more ;) he can slide modulating throttle (you can hear It), I can't slide pushing full throttle in second gear even in U tight turns like Silverstone one. Or bouncing like hell in the next turn, It's all the time full brake full throttle with any signs or fear of oversteer, and I repeat, even with lowest downforce available and hard compound.

Let's try to do 1:02 constant lows in Silverstone in AC, and check If you have to push or not to achieve them. During that stint, no signs of oversteer or fear to crash, as allways.

PS: and in Vallelunga, in turns he slide I can go full throttle or almost full throttle after hard brakings, only limited by understeer, not oversteer. And he suffers oversteer in lots of turns...

17. Miro

Miro Registered

All cars are way way to planted. The small FWD abarth is the only car that stands out, everything else is just...not my cup of tea.
    However it IS fun to exit out of corners throwing the car around as you wish, as it gives you the feeling being the best racer ever.

But boy the GFX are, besides of some minor bugs which they will sort out soon I believe, very very good. I wonder if with DOF and accurate car movement you'd get the same "live" impression in replays in rF2 with proper car models. The car movement from the cockpit view is not really my thing in AC. Maybe you'd have to get used to it, dunno.
    However, as already mentioned the recent ISI tracks are up there but the rest of the rF2 content is not even close to the AC GFX level.

Overall rF2 would need at least two or three polishing builds like the recent one to get on the same GFX level I guess.
    But rF2 is faced with many more problems like rain stuff and night which might cause the devs some headache to get all GFX right with just one global setting I think. But TBH I have no idea about this matter.

But now that both players play with open cards :p I am looking forward to the improvements honestly. :cool:

18. Nelson

Nelson Registered

my sum-up:

...let's wait for AC to leave BETA status behind for a fair comparision with rF2 :cool:

19. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

When it comes to that, rF2 will be light years ahead with features that AC users won't even sniff. ;)

20. SripleTix

SripleTix Registered

I am sure, majority of AC users are also rFactor2 users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.