Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

2. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ve not gone for it yet either... I can only go by videos/screens and what people have said and I`ve heard too many people say they are not happy (so far) and it`s not been quite what they expected...

Not going to junp on this one... wasn`t all that impressed with the demo anyway.

Time will tell. ;)

3. tjc

tjc Registered

I lol`d... nice one.

:D

4. smartin13

smartin13 Registered

did i miss something?it is not possible run a server with aids off.
    why you need an extra hardcore game.in iracing you also set auto clutch.and the mclaren have break assist.the mazda`s are easy to drive.

5. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Pretty much bang on. Too much hype over this one. Every point you made is exactly what i felt, too.

6. liebestod

liebestod Registered

:)

7. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I have a lot of respect for Kunos, and I've just reinstalled FVA for some 458 action, but the comments and the videos make me sad. I didn't intend to throw myself at AC after knowing that it would be on Steam, but I'm still fascinated by it.

Unfortunately, starting to sell the game before anyone has tried the AI, while there seems to be slowdown if you go off track, the reports of poor FFB and the lack of details about the "career", modes, etc. are just leaving me cold. I'm sure it will be worth trying, but since the Howston came out and all those performance improvements and historic tracks are surfacing, with the excellent FFB detail and customization, I'm glad I gave rF2 another chance.

Assetto Corsa will grow and become amazing eventually, but I don't think it will be right away.

8. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Well, this has gone precisely the way I expected. That is what happens when you hype yourselves up.

Personally, I never hopped on the hype train, and that is probably why I'm enjoying the crap out of it.

Graphics wise, starting there because it's easiest to notice, it's a toss up, with a couple disclaimers. First of all, it's only on Silverstone and Mores (Personally, I think LD looks rather.... bland to the maximum) that rF2 looks as good as AC. The earlier content here is not even close. The second and perhaps most important disclaimer is car modelling. Frankly, ISI have done a rather poor job in this area, particularly in the cockpits. The cockpits look like they should, the displays are readable and work properly and do not look out of place. It helps so much with visual immersion. I should add that I have always been more on the side of "rF2 looks pretty darn good in motion" a stance I still hold. Some don't, so YMMV.

Sounds... both are rather poor. But both are also moddable, so that is "whatever" more or less. Particularly though close range out of car sounds are rather woeful in AC (think chase cam type distance) - now, I don't drive from chase cam, but remember, that is the sound you will be hearing when racing other cars. It does have some decent attenuation effects though, the Formula Abarth coming down Hangar Straight is next to silent until it comes up pretty close - pretty cool.

Physics - well, okay, I'll say I can't stand rF2's physics. I'm not a fan, the tires feel like nothing more than a giant rubber ball for a tire - driving here is about making a bunch of small corrections and basically micromanaging the car. I've said it before, I'll say it again - this sim drives like F1C did which we most everyone would point out a couple of obvious issues with car handling. Now, rF1 didn't drive like that, GSC doesn't drive like that, iRacing used to drive like that and is moving in the correct direction, nKP doesn't drive like that, my car doesn't drive like that. At times it shows flashes of brilliance, but just as quickly it makes me laugh. rF2 was hugely potential loaded in it's early builds, GSC was not as big of a player, iRacing largely drove quite terribly though the cars with the most recent revisions have surpassed rF2 by a decent distance. They have simply put squandered whatever advantage in this area they had just by taking too long / not coming to market strong enough / not coming to market with a HEAVY focus on historic content where rF2 works well. There, I said it. For the sake of this comparison, I had to.

Frankly, AC pretty much crushes it out of the park in most areas. Seeing how the topic is specifically the L49 - comparatively it feels like the tire actually has something resembling a contact patch. It's not exactly stable in the corners, though it isn't what could best be classified as suicide to attempt to drive it. In the corners, it is a comparable car to what iRacing has when I last drove it (which was before this last update there, the car is supposedly more stable though now). The thing that throws me off somewhat is the straight line behavior of the AC L49. Not that the car actually properly tracks, but it almost feels like it is generating downforce which I'm not sure should be the case, though the only way to find out would be to stick a 49 in the windtunnel. That said, if the setup has a bit of rake it could easily generate downforce suitable enough to keep the weight on the tires so not entirely odd.

Re : Formula Abarth - brilliant car. Kunos is still the only one to make a low to mid level open wheel car that feels like the mind trip they are purported to be. If you don't push like mad you don't stick, simple as that. It's 180 HP with wings and slicks - why WOULDN'T it stick like glue? I cannot think of a single other sim that allows me - no, forces me - to attack with an open wheel car below F1 and push myself to go deeper. You can actually hammer over the curbing without fear of instant death. Just looked up a video of that car at Imola, sure enough the brake points used and the ones I'm using in AC are very similar, sure enough the lap time is similar - as well as he attacked the large bubble curbing in Variante Alta and didn't die, a feat rarely replicated in sims with any sort of consistency. 200 HP cars on slicks aren't exactly wheelspining torque monsters.

There is a reason everyone who drives cars like that are flabberghasted by how fast they are and how hard mentally they are to drive. Even the GSC Formula 3 which I absolutely love and rate as one of the best cars in sim racing doesn't give me the same buzz.

Overall, the way grip is regained is supreme and that is where it shines, which is most on display in road cars. In easy to explain terms, it's like Standard Def TV versus HDTV. Sure, SD works just fine enough, but HD is just better. In other sims the cars have a tendency to just stop and grip coming out of a slide / drift, whereas in AC the car gradually grips up.

Regarding FFB, Gui explained it already.

Precisely this. It's weird at first, but really starts to become much more natural as you spend time with it. I would like some more butt info if you will, though I can't say it's worse because it is actually more correct. Just a couple of hints of butt info with what they have and it's golden.

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

Some of the cars seem to display some odd behavior sometimes. I've set everything up nice and good for my G25 today, a bit better, but there is still this obscene spring force that just flattens most of the feedback IMO. Not to mention the steering lag...>.>

Anyway, odd cars. The open wheeler Abarth seems weird to me, as to many of the others in the way they move their weight around. I was trying to get the Formula Abarth to lift the weight off the rear and induce a spin. On the throttle, lift off and brake while giving it a big steering input left and right. Could not get it to once feel skittish and snap the rear around. Not even snapping from left to right. This was at low speed too...so no downforce to squish the car into the track.
    Now oddly to me, at higher speed with downforce, it would easily snap the rear around doing the same things. Seems odd to me.

The other thing I found amazing was how soft the Z4 is. I got a replay going over the rumble strips at Imola and it was like a massive jelly. To the point where the side skirts of the car were clipping a massive amount into the track, wheels being pushed right into the arch and then flopping back out with no resistance.
    One thing with the Z4 to try is to weave like you are "warming the tyres up". It feels like there is no damping to its movement. It immediately leans over with bodyroll until it seems to hit a stopper. Same with hopping on and off the throttle and brake, it would pogo around a huge amount.

ATM I would agree with some comments I've seen which states the 458 as being the "best in the game. That did feel quite nice, and for once I was able to get a bit of wheelspin exiting corners in low gears. That and the old M3 are my favourites so far. Still loving the gearbox :D

10. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I probably won.t buy it as I don't like Steam and I have my hands full with RF1 and RF2, but it would be interesting to hear what the ISI guys think of it. I know I know, this wont happen as they aren't going to hang shyte or say that it is better than RF2, but would be good to know if they think there is anything that they could say " that is a good idea " etc etc.

What do you say Tim..............:rolleyes::cool:

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Yes

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  12. pas74

pas74 Registered

they promised bla bla bla...but at the end kunos is a very small software house with few experience..and resources...and they need MONEY...they ask me € 35 for a not sim release!! no multiplayer...no damage...no..ai..the same menu of the tech preview
    hey man are you kidding me!?!

quote +100000000000000000000000000!

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

This thread is growing very fast to read all the replies so I just leave my impressions without reading them all.

I briefly tried yesterday and I probably didn't even adjust all settings correctly. This is my impression.

Visually not what I expected from the shots and videos I had watched.

FFB is unrealistic compared to rf2

I guess default FOV is too high since I couldnt determine the braking or turning point.

With aids off I didnt backspin or hit any wall a single time. This is opposite to what typically happens in rf2. It looks much easier to control and a bit arcady.

Globally I didn't like it very much due to the lack of naturality. I will try to optimize different settings to see if I can imorove my experience.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

To me it's like this......

The road cars don't stop or handle for crap, and the race cars have sooooo much grip it just isn't funny.

Makes hotlapping seem pointless, so bring on the MP/SP......

re aliasing......what're people referring to....jaggies on the edges on the tracks or the overall look of the game, as it does sometimes seem to have that heat haze look about it.

To me GSC 2013 have it right....I could live with that physics and FFB model for a long time

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

Jaggies over the edges of the models, the track and in the distance. To me, it's the same or worse than rF2. Always annoying when things start to shimmer and wobble when you start moving.

I notice what you say about heat haze, because there is some weird blurring in some spots. Just before you go out on track and the camera is panning around, there are some parts of the cars that look super blurry and muddy. The wheels on some of them especially. Maybe it's heat haze, but it just looks like vaseline on the camera lens XD.

16. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

Empty Box and very few others have given a proper review of Assetto Corsa. I suspect many have jumped into the game and found its not similar to other racing titles so simply quit and said it is rubbish. After a day and a half of testing I'm quite satisfied with the purchase and how the game performs currently.

Firstly when loading up the game it loads up very quickly. It seems to use 3 processes and this seems to help spread the load on the CPU and allow the game to run faster. First impressions is that the menu system is very clean and easy to follow. rF / rF2 has always had a good menu with many many options, if not looking visually the best. AC looks modern but at the same time there isn't many options for such as graphic details (car, world, track etc) which hopefully will be added. Obviously we don't buy the game for the menu system but it adds to the experience so is fairly important for first impressions.

Setting wheel up is easy for me (G25) and the first car I chose was BMW E30 M3 at Silverstone. On first loading a track its noticeably to see how much better a DX11 engine looks. Its my first racing game using DX11 but the tracks look realistic and natural. Textures are very good and FPS is surprisingly high and smooth. My only negative comment about the visuals is the yellow glare from concrete and some track surfaces which hopefully will be toned down.

On first driving I was very impressed by the handling and FFB. You have to remember most cars in this game have power steering, I'm not sure the Tatuus Open Wheeler but I suspect it has too. The BMW E30 is clear that it has 90's steel brake technology and that braking zones are long in this car. With 90's street tyres by default a slight late brake will cause big understeer and power on too early will cause the rear of the car to start oversteering, but most of all at a sensible speed the car is easy to control just like your very own road car! Put on the semi-slick option and just as a set of Toyo R888 semi-slick tyres do on a dry track, they stick very well with little braking of traction. However when you do break traction one thing AC does that many other sims don't is that you can recover your traction without spinning out in some absurd manner.

Next is the FFB. Yes it is heavy and you don't feel much, because the car has power steering. In your road car your steering wheel is also rather dead because of power steering. When driving down the road and you hit a bump and you do not feel it through the steering wheel, you feel it through your seat which is why in AC you do not feel bumps and rumble strips much through the wheel. The reason you feel kerbing, bumps, loss of grip much more in rF2, IR is because it seems they take FFB directly from the steering rack without it simulating any kind of power steering so you get 100% all forces. In AC you get maybe 50% because they take FFB on the steering wheel itself after power steering.

Also on FFB I imagine nobody altered setups and realised how much it alters you FFB which no other game does. In rF2 and IR you alter camber / suspension / tyre pressure and lap times are quicker, handling visually looks better but minimal change in FFB. In AC you reduce camber to have more contact patch on the road and FFB is much heavier, you increase camber and FFB is suddenly much lighter and this is something no other sim appears to do at this moment in time.

It is clear many people have never experienced full slick tyres when making statements such as the cannot induce spin on the Tatuus open wheel car when it weights 500kg with the driver inc, full slick soft tyres and only 200hp. Not to mention the default diff setup is 10% locking on power meaning that its pretty much never going to do a doughnut as the default setup for all cars is to understeer and be stable!

Not all things are great though. The Ferrari 458 seems woeful on the brakes and the BMW GT2 does seem to have either too much grip or too much downforce at speed. Also it is very much a beta and as many know, AI, damage and multiplayer isn't available yet. With AC we have paid for a proper Beta phase development just like we all have for rF2 where updates come in stages.

17. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I'm running it close to max with 4xMSAA and it isn't noticeable to me, I'll pay more attention next time I fire it up{7950}.
    I'm much more concerned with the tyre model than anything else in the game.

18. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Yup.....I think decent street cars can stop from 60mph/100kph in 24/5meters, yet the Ferrari is scary on the brakes above 200kph...

19. TJones

TJones Registered

Thank's Sam, your post saves me a lot of typing! :)
    I pretty much agree with all you wrote here!

Never shared this hyping of AC before, no one can perform miracles, at the end it's all hard work which take's time.

But i'm not disappointed at all.

20. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

As you said I didn't jump on the hype train and I'm very happy with the product. People are dissapointed because they expect it to be the next big thing, but we have such good quality racing sims in rF2 and iR that any small improvement in handling / FFB is actually a massive one compared to what it may feel like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.