Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liebestod

liebestod Registered

Remember rF2's "early access" equivalent (beta)?

Terrible AI, janky multi that's difficult to pick up race (granted at least some multi was there), no realroad, no flatspotting, completely broken rain, rudimentary damage at best...

It wasn't even pretty.

2. Adrian

Adrian Registered

After playing more I've noticed that AC handles triple screens better than RF2 i.e. the textures remain sharp and high quality whereas RF2 looks noticeably worse when going from 1 monitor to 3, I'm not sure if this is a texture resolution thing or an engine thing.

Also is anyone having a problem with the throttle (noticed it in the 458) where nothing happens for the first ~25% of travel even though it recognizes the input?

3. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

RF2 and IRacing > AC. Input lag, bad handling, hopeless ffb, and after netkar pro it's doubtful they'll create the online infrastructure. RF2 is heading the right way, and is only going to get better. Right now I feel happier about buying RF2 than I do about buying AC.

4. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

I find ISI's official content to be excellent. Mods are variable, but official stuff really is good.

5. thuGG

thuGG Registered

After a two days testing AC I think it is much better in terms of car feeling, car control and behavior is way more natural than in rF2. Graphically obviously it's also better. What it lacks if multiplayer and damage, so in that regard it loses to rF2.

6. doug484

doug484 Registered

AC has a slight edge over rf2 in graphics, but that's all. For replays, in rf2 we're still lacking a consistent under car shadow, and in AC the shadows only seem to manifest where the car is.

The driving experience is all a matter of perception and people will naturally like one over the other. As far as how "real" AC is, who knows? I have never driven a real Ferrari so I have no basis for comparison.

7. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I still can't understand people who says has better car behaviour than rF2... Formula Abarth totally stable pushing full throttle at 2nd gear tight turns? In real life this car is stiff, low downforce and you have to fight with the wheel (just watch two or three videos...). Street cars are OK, but competition cars are a joke. Formula Abarth bounces like a rubber ball, and even more when you touch kerbs, the car starts to bounce and does not stop in some metters, and even in this situation you can push full throttle with no oversteer signals. And don't try to do "donuts", because you can't, the car stop sliding when you end a semicircle and suddenly gains grip and start to run straight.

With BMW GT2 and Lotus (competition version), the same, no oversteer signals, only if you unbalance the car purposely or push so so so hard in tight turns with shortest gears. In rF2 you can push in 2nd gear with GTR in tight turns, but only when you learn to balance the car and have a decent setup, in AC you can push with no car balancing, you can push hard and the car will not spin, It's a really strange behaviour because from replays and cockpit while only viewing seems OK, but when actually driving, seems arcadish (for competition cars, I feel totally different things with street cars).

I tried It lots of hours...

In AC "sim", oversteer is almost unexistent for competition cars (and some street cars), if you feel the need release throttle pedal, will not be due you are losing the car, 99% of the times will be because you go out of the track due a strange understeer you suffer everytime in mid turn phase and exits.

In the other hand I would like to see that kind of friendly UI in rF2...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm so massively disapointed from everyones comments...

When I read over a year ago that AC would have a brand new physics rather than one developed from NK Pro I was excited because my issue with netkar pro was the steering ffb philosophy of only feeling what a real wheel would feel. Well a real wheel feels dead, even in a race car with great steering feeling, relative to how much feeling you have from the car around you/under your butt, etc etc.

Now I'm reading from everyone that AC is just as bad, if not worse than NK Pro when it comes to this "dead bland wheel giving no ffb cues, but hey its the most realistic true to a real life steering feel" philosophy for ffb.

REALITY CHECK, if anyone has ever driven a real race car and been consistent and done pretty good lap times they would understand that 75% (probably more) of the driving, of feeling the car, etc. IS NOT coming through steering feel. In RFactor engined sims and in IRacing, I can feel things that the car does before I need to correct, it is similiar to real life in that you can make tiny pedal adjustments, stop applying more lock, lift the brake a 5% sooner, etc, so that you don't need to make a correction to the car because you can feel the track and car around you so well that you know how/when/what to do with your pedals and steering, yet with NK Pro and it seems like with AC you get only the true steering feel. This true steering feel only philosphy will make the cars nice and smooth and natural when it comes to corrected slides and generally driving around corners, even at fast speeds, but it doesnt tell you all the tiny things that you need to feel in order to drive a racecar on the limit and consistently lap at that limit constant making tiny corrections and adjustments.

Disapointed AS HELL, but I admit I havent actually tried it yet but have done my fair share of NK Pro testing are people that understand what I am talking about regarding this true steering feel seem to be saying it's just as bad, if not worse than NK Pro in that regard.

9. liebestod

liebestod Registered

I don't know, I think that nK and this put a lot more g-force into the wheel than rF/rF2. Sometimes in rF2 I feel like I'm 'bouncing' off the 'edges' of the FFB, lots of front tires and road surface, without much at all that I am working directly against in a turn. In nK/AC, much like LFS, I feel like I have to work against gravity a bit, which is a HUGE help to tell how hard the car is turning.

I think if there was a similar FFB system in rF2 that I would drive significantly better.

10. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

I've put more time in, and played more of the content. Also, my aliasing issue disappeared. The sim is fantastic. I was wrong about my first impressions. It's all there. I'll be spending all my time with it from now on.

Later!

11. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

As good as AC may be, I can't even entertain buying into this without basics like AI and pitstops. I'm really tired of these long, drawn out beta periods and don't fancy getting involved in another one.

12. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

Imho AC is really a good work.
    For me the point of force for AC is the weight transfers and the result that this behavior has on the grip levels.

The FFB is under work (for curbs and so on..)

AC is not completed, but if this is a "start".. i think the "end" will be amazing.

RF2 and AC are diiferent beasts, and i'm very happy with BOTH! ;-)

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

No mate and I won't be.

AC is not for me looks like a sim version of pCARS.

I know from comments it is not going to be better to drive, I think people kid themselves they think it will change much whenever it is finished.
    rF2 feels the same it did 2 years ago

Add to that limited modding from what I hear and how would you ever do a Targa for it we already have it in rF2.

I think for instance rF2 Monza looks way more realistic then anything else out there.

GPL and rF are ugly ducklings but have feel and soul. :)

I know that is romantic notion, besides the fact ..........I can't afford it. hehehe.

If you worried about graphics rF2 will look much better in 2 years AC will look the same as it does now.

14. liebestod

liebestod Registered

[​IMG]

Oh, magic fortune teller Durge Driven, what else can you tell me? What else will happen in the future? Will I be the multi-millionaire owner of the world's most successful blowjob factory?

15. CraigT

CraigT Registered

You'll have to run it by hand until you get some girls...

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You have to have a mix of both though, you can't just have the natural damped springy weighty resistance feeling of a real wheel and just leave it at that just because thats how real life wheels feel. Racing a car is all about feeling the car talking and whispering to you, and over 75% of that communication DOESN'T come from the wheel but from the car feeling around you, under your bum, g-forces, vibrations, feeling the car getting close to slipping under you even though you CAN'T feel/see any slip yet through the wheel or visually, etc. etc.

So if the philosophy is to just go for an as much true to life steering feel as possible, then you loose out on almost all the info that you need to dance the car on the limits consistently WITHOUT GOING OVER THE LIMITS. Once you go over the limits sure the kunos style ffb mixed with visual cues allow you to correct the slide, that's all fine and dandy, but what I am talking about are the tiny feelings that you can't see happening yet but can only be felt through ffb; this is what we in sims need transmitted to us, this is what you need and get in real life (but not through the wheel), and if your sim is going for an as true to real life steering feel as possible than you wont have these feelings at all. These feelings are needed to race and dance with a car properly, without it all you're doing is using your vision and sound cues and then you just make corrections once you already have slid, by then it's too late, it's all about the tiny cues you get BEFORE you need to actually make any corrections.

For example, you need to feel the brakes getting close to locking BEFORE they lock. You need to feel the rear getting light getting close to sliding BEFORE it actually slides BEFORE you have to make any sort of correction. You can feel these things in ISI engined sims even old ones from years ago, you can feel these sorts of things in real life, but you can't, or very much less so, feel them in these pure 100% "true to life" steering ffb styles of ffb. I'm sorry but car's cannot, and ARE NOT driven this way without these feelings, regardless if the feelings come from your wheel, your body, your bum, whatever, your brain needs to feel them from somewhere. THERE HAS TO BE A COMPROMISE WITH THE FFB.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

rF2 beta has been a great experience from day one for mine.

LiveRacers will add a new dimension for first timers.

I want to get a official ranked rookies room going, get a bigger kick from seeing others improve.

OT lool p

I still reckon all developers are missing getting closer to iRacing's domination in "hardcore" for one biggie iR does not have aids.

Why rF2 can't make 2 version one normal , one Pro ? ( Pro would require full manual controls, every blip and heel and toe would have to be right )

People could buy normal version and get their ranks, even have a ranking requirement to even run the Pro version no matter if you have best sim gear or not.
    That would bring it inline with iR, as well stop a lot rookies buying it, but still give them the knowledge it is there to take. ;)

The ranking system could be used by teams to look at prospective drivers to upgrade to Pro version.

Pro version I would look logically and say what can't I use in a real road/ race car. Simple as that.

I am pretty sure not many race cars have on OSD Motec on their windows or wear visual headsets yet most people take HUDs as a normal racing thing.

That would and I believe will be the next evolution, authentic simulation. :)

They have all pushed the boundaries of physics and visual immersion a fair bit in the last decade yet we are locked into the same concept of making one version fit all.

the old line " But but you can just turn the aids off DD ? " ............does not cut it anymore for mine, in fact it never did.

Hahahaha DD is like a 'Ol dog with a big bone hehehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  18. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Not bad, got to page 4 until someone was offended.

19. liebestod

liebestod Registered

I agree with you. I agree that ISI does a great job of telegraphing this stuff through the FFB, but I think that they go too far in that direction at the expense of a planted solid feeling. The word that comes to mind is 'soupy'. Weirdly, I think the way ISI does FFB makes me focus on visual cues MORE than the nk/AC style (especially when learning tracks) because you can't lean into it much at all. I wish I knew how to phrase all of this in proper technical terms, but I don't.

It's way easier to over-drive in rF2, that's for sure. I think people generally underestimate the impact of FFB, actually, and to a large extent it makes or breaks the entire driving experience... it's sort of the lens through which most people interact with the sim.

If it were somehow possible, I would love to play rF2 with nk/AC-style FFB, just to see what it was like.

20. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Yep... I have to agree. RF2's Brianza and Spa looks way more realistic and better than any of pcars/AC historic tracks. And from what I've heard, rf2 beats AC by miles when it comes to the driving. So I don't know why I should buy this game tbh... I don't feel tempted at all... buy it for the graphics? Well I don't even like the graphics from what I've seen on videos so far. Too much bloom, car looks too clean and too much like pcars like you say... Somewhat an arcadish look over it all. I just don't like it... I think rF2 could look at least as good as this. Of course old content like EVE and Brabham can't compete when it comes to graphics... But upcoming cars like the Eagle, I know it will look good. With higher poly models, better textures and some chrome effect and more realistic looking mirrors I know it could look just as good as AC... And the feeling is already there, I've loved rF2's historic cars since day 1

I wanted to like AC but so far I'm not impressed and yet I won't give them my money ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.