Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speed1

speed1 Banned

@Nibo
    Ah ok thx, my attention was more on driving the cars while i was waiting for a wow effect which i get with rf2 . Everything else is fine and i can also accept arcade features when i'm not forced to use them and I think it makes driving more intresting for beginner but the feeling is off and that brakes ut for me. It feels very simple and boring. I still hope they remember NetcarPro and mix it with the current patch feeling, otherwise i don't see me seriously using it.

2. smithaz

smithaz Registered

The UI is fancy and graphics are shiny but when it comes down to it AC is just another slowly improving beta like rF2, just AC talks itself up more so people think it is better. In terms of track detail AC is similar to rF2, the trees look similar, billboards seem to load differently but are similar in detail, the sky is a non moving texture so doesn't look good, granted you rarely see clouds in rf2 but they are dynamic. AC has much better lighting and replays look good but is similar to rF in terms of flickering lines in the distance. Performance wise they are similar, I get average 100fps on both games, perhaps alot of the fanfare is that AC may look better on lower performing systems.

When it comes down to physics and FFB rFactor is much better, AC reminds me of Gran Turismo handling, the open wheeler drives arcadey like you can brake very late and throw it through corners very easily, it feels like AC doesn't handle slides and tyre slippage very easily (I know with other cars like the M3 you can slide a lot but it feels like grip comes and goes suddenly, it feels quite structured).
    The FFB in AC is like a heavy spring resisting 100% one way or the other with no variation in force, driving with my T500 it is very hard to counter all sorts of slides, turning the power down to 50% it is better but the FFB just feels clumsy, it is lacking in depth and feel a lot compared to rF2.

It seems AC have concentrated on graphics and "fun" handling, it feels lacking in depth in the physics. It's like a Forza or GT5 for PC, which is fine, I will still play it probably, especially when multiplayer is working. rFactor seem to have concentrated more on the core thing of actually driving a car round a track and the feedback it gives, this is the main thing to start with in a simulation of race driving, I don't see (from videos) F1 simulators having good crash physics and graphics.

It is good to finally have AC on the market, we can now see as both games develop and progress and see the speed in which they develop, I expect them to go at a similar pace.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  3. cookie

cookie Registered

Well after a few more hours of testing I have to admit the cars felt boring and lacking character,give me a BT20 /Howston G4 around Brianza or megane/camaro around the ring any day.

4. tjc

tjc Registered

A tad OT maybe but I`ve seen loads of clouds in rf2... :confused:

Depends on your weather settings.

5. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Well yes, I only play online and I think I have rarely seen them, would be nice if on clear you have the odd cloud or 2.

6. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Clear, is clear, if you want to see one or two clods, use ligh cloud setting, and you will see one or two clouds in the sky. I wonder why some servers don't use that setting... do the sky more alive. I our servers not always but most of time we use clouds, and different time settings to get better visuals and dynamism.

7. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

* My experience is very good in Assettocorsa , the FPS are very high compared to RF2 , and the image quality is very good (only 2D trees clash a bit).
    * The FFB is similar to iRacing , conveys well , weights very noticeable car . The RF2 is better to tread the road bumps and the curbs .
    * The physical I think is the best section, dampenings behave nicely , you know you bring a car weighing several tons . The tires have a very real grip . In RF2 at low speed there is a loss of grip strange.
    * The sounds are pretty good the E30 m3 sounds really good , but everything can be improved .
    * The clutch does its function , if you do well , the gear does not engage .
    * The animations are very good .
    * The repeats seem real , suspensions movements + sounds + very real pilots animations .
    * The no load times , with three clicks are inside your car on your track.
    * Photo Mode is awesome.
    * It is very difficult to find a bug , all very correct and looks very professional.

* The worst thing is the lack of go online , AI , game modes ... This simulator end should be something great.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I'm just downloading my beta now from Steam.

Could we have an intelligent discussion that focuses just on the physics, FFB, graphics, etc., details and not get into philosophical issues????

Early indications, not surprisingly, are that AC is great, but FFB might be an issue, especially compared to rF2. I'd love to hear some nuanced opinions and will add my own when I finally get some seat time (which may be a while due to annoying work issues!).

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I don't think FFB is an issue from the cars I tried. It feels like the FFB represents the feeling you get from the actual wheel in the car, which for anyone who has driven a car and can distinguish their feet from their hands, would know. The FFB gives you a feeling for what the tires are doing, the grip level, on top of the steering wheel simulation. To me the rF2 FFB tries to give you as much detail from the track as it can through the wheel, since most of us don't have means of adding FFB to our pedals, butts, and backs. But the FFB varies wildly in the cars, in rF2 I usually don't feel confident of the car because of the lack of feel I get from it (with most cars). In AC the FFB varies according to the car you drive but I always felt in control and connected.

10. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

Well, I've given it a go, here is my impression:

Well, it's definitely early days. I am going to reserve judgement, but, honestly at this point I would steer people away until a more substantial build is available. I'm not going to go into detail like I said I would earlier, it's just not at a point of comparison. I think it's not even as polished as the Tech Demo, graphically or physics wise.

First take aways:
    - Quite grippy
    - Heavy steering and FFB.
    - Not very detailed FFB
    - Anti-Aliasing is not doing its job. There is bad aliasing everywhere. When using nvidia control panel AA (which puts a MASSIVE hit on FPS) things don't get any better.
    - HDR on or Off, there is way too much brightness. The scene often looks completely blown out to me.
    - Framerates are way below where they should be for the visual quality present. Maxed out I stay around 60fps, with dips to the 40s. From what I see on screen though, it should be much higher.
    - External Replays look better than driving in cockpit. This is further querulous as framerates seem to improve in replay mode.
    - No visual damage

I drove two cars (M3 GT2 and 458 Italia) on two tracks (imola and silverstone). Both tracks seemed lacklustre to me in visual representation, perhaps it was all of the aliasing bringing it down. It looked worse than the Tech Demo to me, though. Neither track had feel worth noting. The BMW M3 GT2 looks unfinished on the interior. Lots of flat textures, very simple graphically. The Ferrari 458 Italia was much nicer graphically on the interior, seemed close to being finished, if not done. Both cars had unique feel, but FFB was dull and heavy.

I am looking forward to the many updates to come.

11. addyduss

addyduss Registered

I've been searching for option to remove ffb filtering even more than zero, but there wasn't one.
    Also i was surprised how easy GT cars are in AC comparing to rF2's GTs.
    Overall grip level seems a bit overdone, I didnt lose control of a car when i thought its impossible to save it.
    Also.. I've missed 'realroad' feature while playing AC)
    Visually it looks really good sometimes, level of details of car is noticeably higher than in rF2 but somehow it doesnt look much better overall. Loch Drummond in the morning/evening will beat AC's any track no matter DOF, motion blur or time of the day (which is very limited currently).

12. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Though I agree on some levels I just want to point out that Asseto Corsa is also built upon the NKpro engine...

13. tjc

tjc Registered

As Esteve said, you can have just a few clouds if you set it up in the race settings. One cloud, two clouds etc (I`m sure you know this :p)

I don`t really do online so if it`s set a certain way for that then maybe that can`t be changed(?) or maybe who ever is doing the server could add some clouds/weather?

Anyway, rf2 has plenty of clouds and they can look quite spectacular in the right conditions/TOD etc. :)

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Guys... I`ve not amanged to get AC yet, I will but not yet.

Any chance you guys that have it could give it a rating when you post about it?

1-10 sort of thing...

:)

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I tried it doing some laps with 2-3 cars like the 458 and the 500Abarth and the first things that I can say
    Heavy steering and FFB and no details in the ffb!
    Needs more tests!
    Ps: I don't feel any ffb on the curbs, is it normal?

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

had another few hours on AC, impressions :

******realised I need to have settings to produce 90 to a 100fps to get a good experience from AC
    +this comparison is made only 1 day after AC's release

ffb -very good, nice detail
    ( whilst AC's is very good on its initial release, rf2 is pretty much unbeatable here so ISI best -in fact I don't think any title can beat rf2 here )
    (* I use a bodnar wheel & custom hydraulic brake-pedal set & have everything setup to feel maximum detail)

physics -different for each car, got a decent feel of some of the cars, although the ffb is very good the cars seem to need more "depth" & feel from the tires, its perhaps to early to judge as its only just been released, but right now this is my opinion
    ( the better ISI cars are very good here so this one goes to rf2 )

sound -seems a tad basic but its not bad ( rf2s sound is in a bit of a mess right now so this one has to go to AC )

graphics - the best ive seen, AC I don't think is beaten by any title at the moment ?, I'm getting all of the effects at 90 to 100fps in triple screen & 3d vision!
    just a tad less fps than iracing but top cutting edge graphics
    ( rf2 hardly runs for me now due to terrible fps & that's with stuff turned down & no AA im very sad to say, so this one is a big one to AC )
    cars / tracks quality & fps also seems consistent ( so far ) in AC

* no AI's or multiplayer available in AC yet

UI - its sounds like im trying to sell AC now but its simple the best UI ive ever seen, sharp & professional looking ( AC takes it here )

controls setup veryu quickly in AC too ( Im having a tad few problems at the mo with rf2 )

------------------------------------------------

I'm in slight fear of AC stealing a lot of the potential exposure that rf2 could receive assuming there are some nice builds around the corner ( optimisations/fixes etc ), I believe theres enough for all 3 sims rf2//AC/iracing, I have each of them.

********re.ffb on AC, I had to really find the sweet spot in the AC settings for it to feel very good, also the high fps settings helped to, after that I was happy I was getting pretty much everything the title has to offer at this stage, I think within 2 to 3 months (they claim update every 2 weeks ) I'll be able to decide if its going to be a good usable sim or not
    or a painful waste of time title that teases with glimmers of hope etc

ok right now on a scale of 1 to 10 =

for a first initial release beta : 10 (any other beta incomplete first release ive tried has been a total mess)
    if it was never going to be updated from now so how it is at this point : 4

if your thinking of buying no need to rush, check out the gossip after the next couple of updates
    yet again I have high hopes but no breath holding from me

17. zonder

zonder Registered

Assetto Corsa after 1 day - Nice modern graphics, Nice sounds, need a gamepad can't take it on the wheel, my Gt2 oscillating like crazy around the center, no detail in FFB feels like you drive sack of potato, very gluey feel on track, difficult to judge braking points (that is maybe due to different feel of speed), ugly sky, over saturated colors, over burn hdr, nice interiors but super clean like straight from manufacturer, BT49 is lightly saying a 'JOKE' to me how it drives, it sounds like my lawnmower, no FFB on Apexes when you have sound that you would expect some feedback, sounds like it's very early stage of that Sim, at this day for v0.1 I'm giving it 5/10 so far is just hot lapping game with few cars and few tracks where you can shoot some screenshot. Hopefully soon i recover from that first impression schock and refine above

BTW. Thank You ISI for rF2

18. Giuseppe Toscano

Giuseppe Toscano Registered

Formula isi+formula two+formula renault= FFb 0

19. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@GTClub...what type of wheel are you using?
    I have a G25 and the feedback is very much there.
    It's a bit 'muted' on some of the rumble strips.
    I must admit I like it so far...though I only drove the Ferrari 458 at Vallelunga.
    It's a beta, so I'd imagine lots of polish still needs to be done. I remain optimistic...about both AC and rF2.

Both simulations have lots of potential.
    I suspect overall they'll appeal to different audiences.
    Right now, Rf2 is ahead on FF and amount of content while. AC is ahead overall on visuals for things like cars...(I do not like trees and foliage at trackside). That out of focus look doesn't do it for me.
    In terms of the feeling you get as a driver sitting in the cockpit looking out, rF2... in paticular with mods like the Megane at Croft or Clio at Loch, still feel more natural.
    The menu system in AC is better though not by much.
    I wish ISI had brought us a better looking replay system out of the box for rf2...sadly that aspect is stll very much lacking.
    It's especially bad and quite disappointing when after years in development, the original looks better than the current one.
    I'll run both for a total simracing fix.

20. Thor

Thor Registered

The problem of ISI is that cars do not have a high quality graphically. If the ISI update the graphical models of cars. He will be graphically superior to AC. I hope an update with many graphic details in vehicles. ISI please! Models for high resolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.