R9-290 or GTX-770 4GB ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ViSo, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Cpt_Johann

Cpt_Johann Registered

Another AMD user rolled back to 12.11 +CAP2 here.

A massive thanks to everyone involved in finding out that rolling back was a good plan!
    These were taken in b380 with the same settings and with particles off:

With 13.12 drivers:
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    6156, 200180, 19, 48, 30.752

12.11 drivers:
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    8315, 199962, 33, 50, 41.583

Better than 50% improved minimum framerate! Most of the time it was 38+ rather than sub 30 :D <3 <3 <3

I'm off to see if that makes Crysis 3 run noticeably slower....

Please can we have this put up in flashing lights somewhere?

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

2x GTX 760 is faster than 780 Ti, opportunity to save some money there if 2 GPU setup doesnt cause grey hairs.
    R9 290 is faster than GTX 770, but more expensive aswell. That being said, it is also half the time faster than GTX 780 aswell so... decisions, decisions.
    All this is incase you play more than just rF2... Unfortunatly rF2 is allergic to AMD cards, and personally my decision to purchase a 400-600€/$ card is not going to be based on one game.

3. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

With SLI you need to factor in the cost of the power supply and obviously electric consumed. When you look at that I don't see the point. I was going to get a second 770 gtx but now I think I'd be better off with one 780ti. My psu would be borderline at 750w (would work but probably not reliably overclock) and sli/xfire is always a gamble with micro stutter. Not seen anyone raving about the performance of sli with this title (or any for that matter) not one sli benchmark submitted. Hmmm what is it about sli that makes you still want to have it? Must be the voodoo 3d legend living on.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

OC it to 4.2-ish Ghz and do the EXACT same test, would be interested in the results

5. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

OC'ing my CPU from 3.3 to 4.2 made almost no difference in my FPS. OC'ing my GPU gave roughly proportional FPS increase.

But it would be interesting to see his difference.

6. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

No diference here with a 780 Ti on a 3770K from 3.5ghz to 4.5ghz

7. MJP

MJP Registered

+1 on it making very little or more likely no difference at all. Of course we don't know what res/settings he's using but if he's getting 130-140 FPS they can't be that heavy. Academic anyway as due to Intel gimping Haswell non K cpus even more than before, best he can do is 3.4-3.6GHz depending on number of cores used.

8. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hey guys, I'll keep on rocking win xp till April and would like to try out those 12.11 beta11 drivers in the meantime. Poorly it looks like there are no XP versions of this driver. So my question is, which whql driver might come near the performance of the beta11 driver. 12.2 maybe?

Oh and this right here is a very good topic. Good job everyone!

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oh your right, i was thinking 4670k when i read it.

The test in replay mode is less intensive overall than live, I have figured this out from tons of rf1 and gt legends benchmarking. 1 am extremely suprised a mid 3 ghz being overclocked to mid 4 ghz had no observable difference with a 780 ti.

I just got my new cpu, gonna put a mega benchmark up in a bit once I install the build together and do all the tests. All different combos between overclocked, non-overclocked, hyperthreading on, hpyerthreading off, 6 cores, 4 cores. RF2 will definitely be one of the games.

10. Steinschmeisser

Steinschmeisser Registered

I have running the ram now @ 1600mhz. And set the voltage a little bit higher. I think the ram had before some issuses with the board. The ram was braking my system. I have seen in this thread, that my system was running to slow.
    Sry for my english..

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What was it at before?

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Man all the people that posted here really need to get in on that thread, there is no way this is a 100% ISI coding problem and 0% AMD proplem when the game happens to work much, much better with NVidia hardware.

The RFactor 1 engined stuff is irrelevent also because not only is that a different engine, but I also heard reports (but can't confirm if it's true) that even RFactor 1 ran much better with NVidia GPUs than AMD GPUs.

14. keanos

keanos Registered

Maybe as said in the amd-forum, more developers should go away from directx, to OpenGL or in case of AMD to mantle.

I think it can only be good for the future (Steam-Machines/SteamOS based on Linux) to have another graphic-api.

And as said there AMD looking for developers who would use mantle, and maybe there is more support for such a
    small company like ISI.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  15. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Zotac GeForce GTX 770 OC 1111MHZ 4GB 7.0GHZ GDDR5 Is the card I just bought, If it ever gets here...

225 miles from there warehouse to here...and they shipped Canada Post Express..2 day service...They lost it!!

Tracking shows it was shipped the 27th of December... It went MIA..any-one that has bought online..and it disappeared, Knows what
    happens next..if not..a waiting game.

I paid $415.13 all in..

Dave

NRT

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

EVERYBODY THAT IS EXPERIENCING LOWER THAN EXPECTED RFACTOR 2 PERFORMANCE WHILE USING AN AMD GRAPHICS CARD/CARDS, PLEASE FILL OUT A QUICK SURVEY DIRECTLY TO AMD'S DRIVER DEPARTMEMT TO BE HEARD

Link is in this thread http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php?t=17860

17. coops

coops Banned

Or go buy a NVIDIA card where you have a company that is supporting new SIMS AND GAMES. Not sitting on there BACKSIDES do nothing while customers get PEEEEED off.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If you have the cash, i'd cancel that order and purchase another and wait for the refund on the first.

19. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

Just an update, all is working ok except RF2 when I install Fazerbox's HUD then I'm in the poo again, so no hud fer me :(

SS

20. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Can someone that is using Catalyst 12.11 upload their atiumdag.dll file? You can find it in C:\Windows\System32