R9-290 or GTX-770 4GB ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ViSo, Nov 6, 2013.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I cannot speak for the performance of the R9 cards outside of rf2 but based on the volume of consistently bad performance benchmarks seen on the forums in rf2, i would go with nvidia if rf2 is your go-to sim/game.

2. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

Thanks for your suggestion DrR1pper but it hasn't werked for me. In total frustration I've done a reformat & reinstall, the only game installed is RF2 and still have the same problem. Here's a C\P of crash details...

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: rFactor2.exe
    Application Version: 1.3.8.1
    Application Timestamp: 52b1c539
    Fault Module Name: DINPUT8.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bd9c1
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 000069e0
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 3081
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I guess I'll be going back to the 7870 :(

SS

3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Maybe it is a plugin ? (I had made a similar experience with Teamspeak) Have not read all posts. Sorry if it's a double post.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

SS, you really need to try another game to check if it's the specifically rf2 problem or not. For all you know the card could be faulty or theirs a driver level issue (did you use drivercleaner to remove all traces of ati? Not that I think it is most likely to be the problem but still a possibility worth considering if other games crash too. Download a demo of any other game....doesn't matter what it is, you need to know if it's isolated to rf2 or not in order to know what is the next correct step to take.

I promise you won't be disappointed when you get it all working.

5. SmellySkidmark

Yes thanks John, I checked my PSU, found it's a Thermaltake 600 (website says 600 is ok) but I'd have to agree with you this could be my problem. So while the cover was off I switched cards, now the 7870 is back in. I have to have the game running so I don't miss your BES @ Pukekohe sunday arvo :p

I did have Assetta Corsa installed & it worked fine, but imho RF2 is a far better driving sim and the only reason I bought the 770 was to enjoy it with more eyecandy.

I did a full reformat and reinstall last nite, only installed RF2 and still had the very same problem, (very sad face).
    Anyway 7870 back in all seams fine again, more testing required I think :p
    Thanks for your input guys, pity Admin here weren't as helpful.

SS

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Try to disconnect all controllers except keyboard and mouse.
    Run DXDIAG.exe and check the input devices tab.

Here you will find some info.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/32372/walking-dead-doesnt-start-in-windows-8-steam-version/p2

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
  7. SmellySkidmark

This sh** is killing me.
    Now I have the same crash with the 7870!
    Thankyou Tosch it looks like that file would help, if I could have write permission in win7 system32 & SysWOW64, because that's where the file needs to go.
    I can not for the life of me find a workaround. Anybody know how to get write permission to those folders?

SS

8. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Only "Trusted Installer" can modify windows system files. Try to copy the dinput8.dll to the rF2 core folder.

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Tosch is the man

10. SmellySkidmark

Yep tried it, SSDD (same shi* different day)
    Thanks fer trying Tosch, I think I'll drop everything usb that's plugged in except for keyboard & mouse, reformat with the 7870 an see where I'm at then. The last reformat I had the 770 in. I don't understand how I've got the same problem with a fresh install tho, so I'll go back to what was werking and hope for the best.

SS

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Are you on windows 8 ss?

Also, do you have a spare hard drive or computer lying around to boot a seperate copy of windows from to then access your problematic hard drive from and copy the file across into the folder without the pos windows restrictions?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  12. clock

clock Registered

I have a big question for the developers:
    Are you using some parts of Gameworks (libraries from Nvidia, that you cant get the code and could not be optimize for AMD, due only nvidia have the rights to read the code and modify)????

Maybe thats the reason that makes the games working so bad on AMD cards..

13. MJP

MJP Registered

I'd have a go at trying to re-register the DLL using Regsvr32.exe (must be done from an admin command prompt). If that doesn't work boot to the Recovery Console and replace the file.

If you go for the replacement option make sure you got the right file, there's 32 and 64 bit versions.

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

Create a bootable stick with any linux version and put in what you want and where you want on windows parfition.

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The version of the dinput8.dll (Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385) is the same I have. Had a look at my installation and the file has never changed since I installed my Windows 7 (4 years ago, date is end 2009). It seems it is not a problem with the dinput8.dll itself but with a faulty device driver that makes use of the dll file.
    Some time ago I had trouble with a computer not waking up from stand by and the reason was a internally connected card reader. For that reason I would disconnect everything that is not needed to run the the computer (external usb hubs, internal tv cards, remote sensors, card readers...). If the computer fails to run with everything disconnected I would check and update the usb 3.0 drivers and chipset drivers.

16. SmellySkidmark

Well I've got it working for now, reformat & reinstall with just 3 USB plugged in, Mouse KB & G27 all on USB 3 ports. Installed with the 7870 in put all the usual stuff in that I use, Firefox TS and that kind of stuff. Installed RF2 loaded up Packages setup the game and played for just over an hour, no problems at all. So I made a restore point, swapped cards left the AMD drivers there, booted installed nVidia drivers, reset the game an played for an hour. So I'll make another restore point, then put my USB headset in, try that if all goes well I'll think about putting Fazerbox's HUD back on, if it's still good another restore point then install Steam & Assetto Corsa. Then I'll have the PC back, I hope.
    I'd like to thank all of you who have given me advice as it is very much appreciated that the community is there to help when it's needed.

SS

17. Frankysco

Frankysco Registered

A personal bench, in Silverstone with all graphics options off, and with a "little" pc upgrade:

Before:
    - AMD Athlon X2 5600+
    - ATI 5850 Toxic
    - 5 Gb DDR2.

FPS: 35-40

After:
    - I5 4570 @ 3,2 Ghz
    - ATI 5850 Toxic (not swap)
    - 8 Gb DDR3

FPS: 130-140

Next step: Nvidia GPU

18. Steinschmeisser

Steinschmeisser Registered

New Benchmark with Bios Update, and other settings for RAM. :)

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    9047, 205422, 33, 54, 44.041

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Interesting. What settings for ram did you change? And could you undo the ram settings and test again to see how much was the bios update vs ram setting changes that made the difference please?

20. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Very strange...

I didn't saw even 1fps diference between 1600mhz and 2133mhz... I'm pretty sure that i can run it at most lower spedd that i won't see any diference :rolleyes:

What have you changed? Probably you had PCI-E slot working at 4x or 8x and when you flashed bios it back to 16x no?