HDR and non-HDR issues

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Hedlund_90, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Now I want an answer what is causing these strange purple patches, as I'm getting really tired of it. I've had this problem for many builds now... Some says it's monitor related problem, but I don't think so (I have seen it with 3 different monitors, and in rF2 exclusive, and never ever in any other game).

I have tried to calibrate my monitor and change gamma etc... Nothing really helps. Sure, I can lower gamma until I can't see it, but then black is too black, and has no variations at all. My monitor has a setting called "black equalizer", and I can lower it until I can't see the purple patches anymore. But as I said: black becomes too black with no varations at all. So if I try to compensate with brightness, the purple patches is back again.

However, it is HDR-related. If I turn off HDR the black/purple strange patches are gone (see 4th pic)

Here I have a few screenshots. In case some of you have too dark screen to be able to see it, I have brightened up half of the image :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I could not see any purple... But when I increased brightness:

[​IMG]

And here I have HDR OFF. As you can see, the patches are all gone.

[​IMG]

And finally a problem with HDR OFF... The screen becomes grainy. I increased contrast in the selected area to make it more visible (although I should not need to)

[​IMG]

2. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

set the graphics card colour options back to default, then set your monitor back to default, that deffo looks like the monitor or graphics colour/brightness/contrast isnt set properly, could also be driver related.

3. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

But why does it only happen with HDR on? And why does it happen with both my new Nvidia GTX690 and my old Radeon 7970? (with at least 2 fresh installs of windows there between...), and with 3 different monitors?

4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

If it was the monitor it wouldn't come out on the screen shot would it? You'd have to take a photo.

5. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Yes exactly... Just trying to exclude the monitor as the issue... so I don't need to hear that anymore ;)

I just wonder if everyone using HDR has this issue, but they just don't see it because their screen is dark enough?

Like I said, I have the same problem with both nvidia and amd, so what's left? I can't really do anything with the colours to solve this. I have only done one single driver install since my fresh install of windows 7, and that is the 320.49 drivers. And did not touch any gamma/colour/brightness settings until I saw this problems with rF2...

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Well, to certain extent your monitor is the issue. My main monitor is calibrated quite close to gamma 2.2 which is the standard, can be checked using for example this website. With this monitor I cannot spot these issues unless I really look for them. On my secondary monitor the factory gamma is incorrect, something like 1.8, and the things you describe are well visible.

7. rer8

rer8 Registered

Could it be a shader issue... you might consider talking to Arnao.

8. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I see the purple too with hdr on.
    I think people that can not see it, maybe their monitors can not show very very dark shades of colour. In the above website that stonec posted there is a black level test page http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php. I can see every shade of black on that test page.

Messing about with hdr in dev mode you can get sort of what Hedlund is on about with the black point setting, see one of ZeosPantera's crazy videos on hdr http://youtu.be/T_TC9FakFrw?t=12m45s . Colours invert.

DJC

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

I get this issue too so its completely normal don't worry about it many people have it.

10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thank you guys :) I know a few others also has complained about this problem, but I have not seen an answer from ISI.

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Just want to add that I have spent some time reading about my monitor at TFT central, and changed my monitor settings as recommended there, and downloaded their ICC profile. So now my colours and gamma are as good as they can be with this monitor.

I think the purple effect in rf2 is slightly reduced. It is not as noticeable as before, but it's still there, of course. And probably it depends on hdr profiles too. It's in the areas where it is supposed to be true black (according to game/hdr profile at least) that the purple/grey/black effect is appearing.