AIW (AI Path) Creation Tutorial PDF

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mario Morais, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Thanks to Scott for (finally ;)) writing it up, I've been waiting for some info on the new advanced features (blocking line, car-specific lines).

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Ah nice, thanks a bunch :)

4. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Hopefully we'll start to see AIW files that include lines for all the ISI cars.

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Which reminds me Rhamm. It would be good to have a list with all the names we should use in the AIW editor for the cars to recognize their lines, such as 'Skippy_Raceline'. That is probably the only
    thing missing from that pdf :)

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

..and that was my concern I posted about a while back, having to create specific fast lines for all mods. Sure it's a good way of making sure the AI have better specific directions in the AIW depending on the mod being used, but it's gonna take a helluva long time for the track/AIW maker if he/she wants to add all ISI cars and a select few from the community....imagine when theres 20+ top quality mods released in a few years all the next ISI content...screw that :D

What I am hoping for is with the inclusion of the new AI code in Build342 is that you set up a standard AIW, then let the AI drive the track with the new auto calibrate options and this essentially becomes their "fast path" for that perticular mod. Still time consuming though but then at least everyone can do that.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

just read through the tutorial and noticed this:

Please note, ISI is currently developing a new, more robust form of AI learning so that the AI will
    learn how to drive each track as best as possible. While this work is still in progress it is proving very
    successful in testing. This will make the tweaks suggested above not as necessary as they currently
    are, if they will even be required at all. Stand by for mor
    e info on this....

so that kinda answers my post above :eek:

8. dominevski

dominevski Registered

Thanks for the tutorial!!

Anyways, I was hoping for more detailed info about all settings in
    AIW editor. What is all these "Calculated speed" and other stuff
    and what they do. Is it ok to edit? Should we? I have managed to
    fix some of weird AI slowdowns by editing "calculated speed" but
    the results are so random that it gives me a feeling that these
    values should not be edited at all. Also, when adjusting fast path
    these speed values seem to recalculated.

I can see values like 324, 330, 143, 270, etc on straights!!!
    Where the 143 comes from I have no idea =)

9. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I believe there is many settings in AIW editor, which are not valid anymore or are still WIP. Similar AIW tech has been around long time and it's been used many ISI's products before (thought slightly developed on each product).

To stay safe side, it might be wise move to left those settings alone until more info is released some point.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I would appreciate if the coding of the different parameters of each waypoint in the aiw file was explained. I would like to be able to draw and analyse the fastline within excel to see if I can do some smoothing tool for it.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

12. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

13. ethone

ethone Registered

Doing a specific line for every car would be overkill. I should hope that some general lines might help a lot. Fast Formula cars and LMP cars for one line, GT1-3 as another, GT4 and other high-power non-GT-homologated cars as another, FWD cars as the last one. Still a fair number but more manageable than doing a line for every car.

14. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Hopefully when they complete the work on AI Autocalibrate option 2 no one will really have to. It doesn't really do much right now though. I think for the most part one fastest path works fine at most tracks. I can remember a few spots at some tracks in rF1 though that could have used a different line through one or two corners. This still won't make the AI smarter which is the biggest AI problem.

15. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

The AIW editor still crashes when adding garage paths. in rf1, a manual edit was needed, that no longer works. I cant release some tracks because the AI cars cant get the from their garage to pit lane without crashing.

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thanks Doug.

Sent using Tapatalk - excuse the short post, etc

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Garage path (rough) info:
    You run a garage path as you would the main path or the pit path. Start where you want the path to end (normally, this would be at the exit of the last garage in a row). Drive the path you want for the cars to take as they exit the paddock and enter pit lane. Make sure you drive onto pit lane a bit before you stop recording.

When you stop recording, save the new path as "add new path and mark as 1st pit extension". Now select the waypoint at the end of the new path where it merges with pit lane, and one pit path waypoint just beyond. Now do a "Join as Branch". When the connection is made, unselect all waypoints, and then select the very first waypoint of the garage path. You need to mark this waypoint with "cap end of path segment". If you need more than one garage path follow the above procedure.

Some notes:
    -- You can not (as far as I know--someone may want to test this before releasing these instructions [Luc, Pier]) connect one garage path to another. Each garage path has to join with the pit path.
    -- Each garage path that connects to the first pit path gets marked as "1st pit extension". On some tracks (particularly short ovals) it's possible to have two pit paths. If you need a garage path that connects to the second pit path then mark it as "2nd pit extension"
    --Make sure you "cap" the end of ALL garage paths. Garage paths only connect to their respective pit path in ONE LOCATION--where you want the cars to join with the pit lane as they exit the paddock

18. iDTDoug

iDTDoug Registered

perfect! thanks! , thats a lot different than rf1 and im sure its because i was driving it in the wrong direction.

19. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Yeah, sorry guys. I completely forgot the garage paths when I wrote that tutorial. The info I sent to Tim should get you what you need. Good examples to look at would be Brianza and LRP. Both of them have very straight-forward garage paths...

And, btw, I'm SO sorry for the delay on this. I truly intended to write this up a long time ago. I just never seemed to have the time. I do apologize...

20. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

I kind of mention this in the tweaks section. The only time you really NEED to tweak these would be if the cars are having trouble with a difficult corner. But, as I said, changes are being made to AI learning that may negate these. Plus, they are more of a work-around rather than a preferred tool. It's best to avoid messing with them because more times than not they make the AI drive worse...