[REL] F1 Classics Open Beta v0.1

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Petros Mak, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Model wise in the future I do want to add the other rear wing with the winglets to the model too. We don't want to go too far with them as we do have other models we want to get in game and out to you guys. We generally develop a version of the car, sometimes with additional updates, and that is it. It takes far too much time to do every little change and in most cases its not even used or appreciated. Though some of the major changes we will do as we can. :)

In regards to non model related updates, those are areas stephen and derek would know best, I won't answer for them.

2. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Cheers Chief:),

being a first build there are still many things to be done and upgraded, it may be confusing because my first builds tend to be further along than most.

There will be updates to the physics/tyres from Derek, the default setup will mature as the physics do and there are a few graphical things that need attention still and the sounds are stage #1 and will also be improved.

It is safe to assume that any first build's going into rF2 will have stage #1 physics and sounds from us. We are aiming to release earlier and update more often to give everyone early access and it's also more efficient to find/sort problems out en masse.

There will be updates for all our mods early next year, some are already waiting for only singular items.

As always the feedback is much appreciated and needed too.

3. vhoggard

vhoggard Registered

Awesome Mod!! love the look and feel and thank you guys for all your hard work! I plan to run this mod a lot!!! :)

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think with a few updates to physics / tires this car will be very nice

It seems very grippy ( I know it's high down force ) then goes very quick when it loses traction,

I know it's an f1 car, I just image something between the lotus f1 79 (used in iracing & rf1 ) & very recent f1's
    (Again I racing & various rf1 & rf2 for reference )
    e.g a bit looser and a tad more character / small amount of tire flex etc

Keep up the good work though I think this will be a top mod & thanks for the first release :)

5. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

Keep in mind, these were alot lighter than the lotus 79, and these didn't have the undertray or same handling as modern cars. the 94 for instance had so much downforce, though very loose as can be seen in this mod, that they would regularly bottom out, which is why they implemented the undertray and plank. the 93 car on the other hand had massive amounts of grip due to all the aids they were using at the time.

6. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

Thanks for the awesome mod...Car looks really good, nice work.

Cheers,

Sean

7. boxer

boxer Registered

Can the helmet be replaced? What should I use for the file name?
    I created one but it wont load!
    C:\Users\.....\Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\MKCMP4_Vehicle\MKCMP4-8_08\ALT_HELMET.dds

Also will the car templates be release?

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Derek

-thanks for the interesting info, I look forward to trying each car as it's added, I know they'll be a nice twitchy & slightly looser feeling one sooner or later -in the meantime I'll more than enjoy these

Thanks again

9. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

Certainly, I mean obviously with just these two, it's tough to compare performance, as they were essentially the same car, with different engines and one had computer aids to it while the other didn't. It'll be more noticeable once we get other cars from different makes and years in as well and you have a wider range of performance. I'll fill you guys in on the fact that we have fixed the brake issue, so it shouldn't lock up as easy, though still will if you over do it, and we're adding more seat movement range though how much range will likely be tweaked over the beta period.

10. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

I get the helmet to load when I use the car number first.

08alt.dds
    08ALTHELMET.dds

kind regards,

Sean

11. samuelw

samuelw Registered

Been simming with only this mod since its release, Just finished 12 lap race against AI at Bruanza. Because I like this mod and hope to see it develop I want to offer some hopefully constructive feedback. Jim Clark was once quoted as saying he started racing to see what it was like. Since I lack both money and talent my only recourse is simming. While there are limitations in building sims (none of us have ever driven a mp4/8 denying us a knowledge base) I do believe we should strive for realism in sims and I hope you do so in this mod. While I have no modding skills (and no time to learn with wife, child, mortgage, and job) I aim for both realistic setups and realistic driving techniques.

As previously mentioned by me and others the exteriors look spot on to me. As for the interior cockpits, well once I got a look I just had to saddle up these babies. The car I select from a mod is usually determined by aesthetics, but I just can't decide between the looks of your mp4/8 and mp4/9. Both cars and cockpits look great. Overall this mod has great immersion.

Moving on to the driving. First I have no insurmountable problems with brake lockup. At least no more than usual as caused by my occasionally clumsy foot. Setting brake bias back a bit to say 56% front and brake pressure to maybe 80% makes brake lockup manageable for my untalented self. Believing the old saying, "don't fix something that's not broken," I would be careful messing with the brake model.

The primary place I have reservations about the physics is fast corners, for example the Biassono Corner at Brianza. (I don't know how fast Biassono was in 1994 but Tumburello was still flat out in 1994 and there were other fast corners.) Anyway I had great difficuly getting either car to run flatout through Biassono, finally having to resort to somewhat unrealistic, extreme setups and very precise lines. While precision in driving is a fair requirement, using extreme. unrealistic setups bothers me. What I had to do to get the car to turn was set both the diff pump and the power side of the diff to 0. (maybe 5 works as well) Preload was set to 1 and front toe decreased to -20 deg. Since I didn't want to lift off the throttle for Biassono the coast diff setting wasn't effective for Biassono but I usually run it at 10 anyway. Setting the front wing at a steeper angle relative to the back (the back was set at either 1 or 2) didn't seem effective at any sort of "realistic" ratio. (Setting the wings at 10/1 F/R seems a little extreme to me and was still not effective at Biassono.) It then occured to my diminished mind that at 200+ mph the front suspension might be bottomed out in Biassono causing the understeer so I stiffened the fronts varying amounts which helped some along with the adjusted diff, and toe out. I also played around with the roll bars but didn't achieve much. The stiffest setting for the back bar is 95N/mm. According to what I can find on the internet the front bar should be stiffer than the front springs which wound up at 150 N/mm. (I tried higher for the front springs but it dsidn't make much difference) According to this restraint the best realistic roll bar split is 151/95 F/R which did not cure the understeer.

Some have found the cars to be twitchy but I presume this is with the default diff settings. With the default diff settings in a low to mid speed corner power on oversteer is a distinct possibility. Shoot it can just snap right out from underneath a fellar or gal. With the default diff you also get lift throttle oversteer, and when sloppy, it will bite you. My thesis is that power and lift overteer mask inherent understeer present in these cars. It seems to me that even on slow corners I have to modify coner entry to accomodate the underlying understeer (for which I am too inarticulate to readily explain beyond the cars require a later turn in.)

I offer the above in hopes that you can use my observations to improve subsequent versions. It may very well be you believe me to be full of poo. (hope that's family friendly) And that's ok I'm not a professional driver and have no claim of great expertise about race cars. (I'm also slow.) I come to these forums to exchange ideas and to learn. Please understand I like these cars and am totally infatuated with them. I just found a somewhat extreme situation where I think they could be better.
    Thanks
    SW

12. cartandretti

cartandretti Registered

Entered a room today with your mod and Imola2006 track. When I clicked on the room it indicated that I had their mod which I know I didnt because I only been to one other room with this mod. Once in it would not load the track which I have or the mod which I have, plus there were blank spinners, just the box, no content. To get the track and mod to load I had to go offline and load both before I could go online and get in the room. When in the room I noticed that many drivers were entering and leaving, so I assume everyone else was having the problem also. Couldnt ask the attendees for the did not speak complete english. Is that a mod fault or a server fault?

13. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Servers have been a bit funny over Xmas, I've noticed

14. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

One thing to note, the Monza that ISI has put out on rf2 is the 1966 version, in 1993-94, the track was a lot different. if you compare these 2 track maps, one from the 66 layout and one from the 94 layout you'll see what i mean.

View attachment 11251

View attachment 11252

as to the bit about tamborello, there is a 1994 imola floating around on here, though i can't remember where, that i used for testing and both cars i have no problem taking it flat out with the 4-9 hitting around 203mph before braking and the 4-8 hitting around 195 at the same point.

15. samuelw

samuelw Registered

Yea Biasonno is probably too much. The AI didn't like Brianza either, the entire field crashed out. (I did finally dial in a set up where I could get through Biasonno at about 215 mph if lucky.) After my last post i played around some more with it. I think my question boils down to the power settings on the diff. For me I have to set the power side of the diff close to 0 to get rid of entry and mid corner understeer. But hey it works. Otherwise love your physics.
    Thanks for you work.
    SW

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  16. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

Obviously they'll continuously evolve when we add more cars in. I think we're just so used to the cars now a days that i know i was sort of suprised by how low the speeds were in some of these older cars, even though they were fast as well so it is a bit tricky when designing them because you have to go against most of what you know of F1. Then there's also the differences just between the cars like the 93 realistically that season having active suspension, TC and random other driving aids and no refueling vs the 94 season having refueling, no driver aids and in the case of the mclaren, two totally different engines, one a v8 the other a v10.

17. jepeto

jepeto Registered

thx and happy a new year to every simracers

18. jibawakee

jibawakee Registered

Whenever i load up a track it crashes anyone know a fix this mod looks amazing thanks:)

19. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

I don´t know if someone bring this but the cockpit view is to high. For me even on high fov (47) is difficult to see the mirrors without having to decrease pitch cam orientation on plr file.
    Also the ffb feels "numb". Can´t feel loosing grip in front tires (g27, ffb multiplier 1.0, ffb smoothing 2)

edit: forget about ffb remarks. It was based in a 1991 f1 season mod which i have no idea where did i download and was playing thinking i´m in your mod.
    Thee ffb seems great in a quick test.
    But to the cockpit view statements still. I can view the mirror with 47 fov using triple screen but it seems to low in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  20. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Hey guys,

We will be addressing the cockpit issue in a future update. Some of you will be receiving PM's from me after the new year to be offered closed beta testing positions. Some of you are finding issues that we don't find as we don't have the same hardware as you guys so we'll be extending an invitation to some of you soon to help test our mods before open beta and we can cover areas that have been brought up previously in our future mods and updates. Stay tuned!