[REL] F1 Classics Open Beta v0.1

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Petros Mak, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The tires were locking up under braking for me and everyone else online earlier on the server I found at Portugal. I was having a lot of trouble downshifting too until I found gearing that was better. I spread out the gearing more so the ratios weren't as close and it made a big difference.

2. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

"The tires were locking up under braking for me "

for me too! at Portugal GP too! this is the biggest flaw of this car.

3. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

I'll certainly look into it for you guys, though being the holidays I can't say when to expect an update.

4. I am almost scared to post this, in case I get ridiculed but...

I run with no assist on anything, I add stiffer suspension, brake pressure at 92 and balance at 65 front, I drive with clutch and stick and I have not experienced lock ups as much as described. I only get one when I make a mistake or have cold tyres.

But I do travel through the gears when slowing down, so I guess I am not pushing as hard as some are, but to me it feels great.

5. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I was on the Portugal server too. After many laps, both me and my brother found quite good setups. The issues with the downshifting (doing a 180° when shifting down to 2nd and 1st), is gone. I don't know what I did... I changed the gear ratios a little, so maybe that's the solution, like Guy said.

Still locking up too much though... Still running 80% brake pressure and never use more than 50% of my pedal. Perhaps it works better with loadcell pedals...but anyway I think the brakes bite too much.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

This may be good I'm going to give it a try

7. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Perhaps it's not a flaw of the car but of the driver:) (I talk about myself, of course!;))

8. samuelw

samuelw Registered

After a few more laps this mod is fast fun. Since I'm not one of the handful of people that have driven the real models of thes cars I'm not qualified to comment on on their faithfulness to reality, but I can say they have a nice balance between tossability and oh crap I lost the backend again. They are lookers too. Thanks to the team that produced this mod, it will be popular.

One observation already made by others. The cars ship with cockpit designed for their default 65 deg FOV. Running a FOV of 50 deg. (the default for ISI cars) the mirrors are not visible from the cockpit no matter setting the POV all the way back. Also with a FOV of 50 the gear indicator is hidden in the mp4/9 and not easily seen in the mp4/8. Could you consider offering alternative cockpits to accomadate the FOV's of different users?
    Thanks again for your efforts.
    SW

9. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

Great mod, great potential, the modeling is awesome!

Some issues for you to be aware, at least with the T500RS wheel. Mainly, as soon as I adjust the steering lock and/or the down force, the wheel starts vibrating a lot, to the point I can't drive the car. Any suggestions are welcomed, I want to drive it but the default settings (mainly the steering ratio) make it impossible.

Thank you for this mod!

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Tried this sim-car for 2hrs, it has a lot of promise & is good for first release

I think this is a top sim car in the making

Really looking forward to updates !!

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Make sure your ffb strength in the thrust master profiler is not set to over 60% other wise this will happen

12. M4nkey

M4nkey Registered

Is this also true for Fanatec wheels? I have the same rumbling issue, but not in the pitlane but randomly on the track. Quite a shame, as the car is really nice.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Not sure about fanatic as I've never had one, but try it

(Reduce strength in fanatic profiler & increase in sim)

My wheel (bodnar) is set to 50% in profiler I'd never go over that otherwise forces feel to sharp & high force peaks to high (if you get my meaning)

14. samuelw

samuelw Registered

To my way of thinking 93-94 were the last years of F1. After the death of Senna F1 changed into something else that is not attraxtive to me. I no longer watch broadcasts of races. The only interesting thing left for me is the soap opera that attends F1; who drives for who, who dissed who, ect. Accordingly I waited with anticipation for an early 90's F1 mod.

Thank you for filling this void. Yesterday being a holiday for me, I spent a lot of the day driving your mp4/8 and mp4/9. Graphically they look great, both exterior view and cockpit view. Running at a decidedly bumpy Portugal it was easy to fantisize that I was dicing it up with Senna with the car darting over the bumps. Great immersion.

Originally I had questions about the physics but subsequent experimentation revealed it was a setup issue. The physics are great.

SW

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  15. hoover

hoover Registered

Hi folks, thanks for this great car (I find it very twitchy and oversteery mid-corner, but I gues it'll take some getting used to ;))

I guess this is yours?

Unknown Car Class: 1993 Season.
    Unknown Car Class: 1994 Season.

It would be great if you could assign some more descriptive car class names so I can add them to rF2 Rank, maybe like so:

McLaren MPXXXX 1993 Season

and so on. Thanks!

Keep up the good work & happy holidays to all simracers and their loved ones!

Uwe

16. samuelw

samuelw Registered

OK responding to my own post, I made progress on a setup for Brianza. The problem is these cars with default setups understeer like pigs through Curve Grande. In 93 and 94 there were a few fast turns even though they didn't run on the Brianza configuration. Curve Grande and Tumburello still existed. Anyway, increasing the springs to 160/240 N/mm F/R, roll bars to 95/95 F/R, wings at 10/5 F/R, toe to -.30/.05 F/R, power diff to 0%!, coast diff to 10%, and preload to 1 allows me to just make through Curve Grande without lifting. The springs and wings seem realistic to me. Toe out, roll bars, and diff not so much. Then again I've never been with 500 miles of an F1.

Despite my problems with balance there is something great feeling about the car. The tire model maybe?

Again if anyone has insight on setting these cars up please share.
    SW

17. samuelw

samuelw Registered

Hm. rausing ride height keeps front off bump stops reducing understeer. 3.4 cm in front sounds high to me but it does reduce understeer through Curve Grande. These cars are feeling better and better.
    Sw

18. Derek Nye

Derek Nye Registered

For the most part, things like toe, camber, roll bars and such are all based on what we've gained working on simulators with various cars.

@hoover, as to the descriptions, thats down to stephen, but we will be including other cars from these seasons as well as others so its still a bit tough to decide on what to describe them as.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya just a question

Will the existing ones be updated at all?
    If so what aspects are awaiting updates?

20. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Hi hoover,

Sorry to hear you having an issue. The classes are set in the veh files, McLaren MP4-8 is "MKCMP4-8" and McLaren MP4-9 is "MKCMP4-9" although in the game the class is listed as '93 Season' and '94 Season' for me(which is part of the Category). It may be my understanding of how it works is not great, I will look into it of course.

Where are you seeing unknown class exactly? jpg pls:) and is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013