[WIP] Nürburgring GP Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by mianiak, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Gupster

Gupster Registered

The chain motor hooks on the stage left sound points don't go to the spansets :) Beautiful work, Thanks for all your efforts!

2. Galaga

Galaga Banned

holy cr@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@p! Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

3. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Thanks! If you guys liked that, you might like this too, but its mainly for modders. The plan is to make a simple to use rig for anyone who wants to make their own animations can easily do it. This video drags on a bit, but it goes through the whole control rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBHxfJ4MQBE

4. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

It's possible that the Nordschleife by ISI is coming, too?

5. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

6. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I was going to scratch built Nords a long time ago, I even have some in car gps data, plus a large contingent of German community members (who have been helping me with Nurby). The reason for the work I did on com8's track was for RnD, that was last Xmas. So everything was there for it to go ahead, but then someone starting converting it and I saw no rush to get started, so I put it off and focused on the GP Circuit.

7. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Hi mianiak, any updates on this? Still on course for a December release?

8. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Yeah so far so good, I am going through it now and readying it for release. Although I'm not totally happy with the way everything is sitting, I'm still going to release it as planned.

9. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Cool. Quite happy to do a bit of beta testing! :)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

+1 :)

11. jrg_carrion94

jrg_carrion94 Registered

Good to hear that :)

12. BanjoMaster

BanjoMaster Registered

That is awesome! Can these dudes go in the crowd too?

I gather the Nordschleife project has run into a spot of bother regarding the GP circuit portion of the track. The obvious solution would to get you guys together on a date, just like Saddam and Satan in the South Park movie? You could make beautiful, 20km long babies together...? :D

13. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi mianiak,

This looks very good, I'm waiting to try it out.

Cheers,

Sean

14. Nelson

Nelson Registered

I'm really looking forward to mianiak's version. The Nurburg GP circuit is one of my favorite modern tracks

15. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Unfortunately, they won't just blend in together. The way that both these tracks were done makes them incompatible, they need a lot of work to make it so they will join up. The Nords version is sitting quite high up in the 3d space, Nurby is sitting at 0,0,0. , but is rotated slightly anticlockwise. The problem for me is it would mean redoing all the animations which would be very time consuming. I made the mistake of doing so much work to it already without giving thought to it (because I wasn't actually going to release it), it was just a fun thing I was doing on the side and only sharing it with a few people who in turn persuaded me to release it to the public. But all the animation work was done by then, so I just left it the way it was.

I'm a bit worried about releasing this track, as I said before to BanjoMaster, it was just a fun thing and no real effort was originally put into it. The elevations are not accurate and I think the overall scale is also not accurate, aswell as the actual track path. I would really prefer to wait until I can get better elevation data before I release it, but the guys helping me out recommend that I should release it anyway and keep hunting for better data. So that's what I am going to do, even though it is against what I believe in (my beliefs being that it's a sim so it should be as perfect as possible). But in the meantime it will give the community some eye candy to look at and an extra track to race on.

Maybe someone who is close to the track (or has a friend that works there or maybe even works there themselves) could try and find me some accurate data? That would be the best case scenario :)

[ED]
    Yes they can. There is really no limit to what animations can do in rF2, there are a few restrictions but none that really effect anything that matters. The only real restriction is system resources.

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Hopefully some of our German (near Nurby) brothers can help out... :)

17. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

If you don't feel like releasing it, maybe it's best? Do you know how it compares to other versions?

18. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Since you don't like the idea of releasing a non-perfect version of a real-world course, perhaps it would ease your mind (and those who would criticize such issues) if you released the track under a fantasy name? Like German GP, or something generic like that? This way, the public gets to enjoy the work you've put into the track, but it isn't represented inaccurately as the Nurburgring. Then, after you've perfected the course (to your personal standards) you could re-release as the real Nurburgring. I dunno, just a suggestion to think about maybe.

19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I'm happy with whatever you decide, mianiak. This is one of my all-time favourite circuits so I'm eager to try it, but at the same time I respect that you have high standards and want this project to be the best it can be. It's very reassuring to know that the intention is to do this circuit justice, so I'm happy to wait.

20. Nelson

Nelson Registered

There's no need to rush... If you're not happy with it's current state, then postpone the release. Anyway, I'm sure it is much better right now than the current conversion available...