fogging, wet windshield, raindrops and wipers...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rhs, Oct 28, 2013.

1. rhs

rhs Registered

I have just purchased rFactor 2 a week ago and I must say its a big improvement in compare with the first rFactor.

However; I read in rFactor 2 Q&A;

Q: How will the weather effect the drivers view?
    A: There will be fogging, a wet windshield, raindrops and wipers.

Well, I noticed the rain (sometimes through my windshield, into the car interior!), but no fogging, no wet windshield, no raindrops
    (I selected raindrops in the menu) and next to that; a lot of carmods don't have workable wipers... Is this still in development and has yet to come?

To the ISI creators of rFactor 2 I want to say; Thanks for making such a great realistic race-sim; I enjoy driving rFactor 2 !:D

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Mostly not implemented.

only visible rain, wet track (no aquaplanting yet, everything on a road surface happens in an artificial accelerated rate atm), wipers (just moving, doesn't do anything else atm) and rainspray (still wip I guess).

3. rhs

rhs Registered

Thanks TIG_Green for your reply; so we have to wait for that... More realism to come; looking forward to that :)

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Glad you're having fun.

TIG answered really. Stuff like this is getting higher and higher priority now that the basics are in-place. :)

5. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

However if i'm not wrong under certain rain condition we have a fog already appearing, any chance to have a fog slider control so we can set a non rainy but fog weather condition?

6. 88mphTim

Yes, it's there for some conditions as it would be in real life. It's appearance will more likely be tied to humidity, wind, etc, eventually, rather than just a fake environmental effect slider. :)

7. Reprobator

Reprobator Registered

Ok so i'll give some more try at it ^^
    Thank for your reply.

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I don't agree that basics are in-place.
    The most fundamental thing for me is for the real road not to work at accelerated rate. If front of the grid dries road completely for cars at the back of the grid, then my wet race experience is ruined.

Unless you meant you've already changed that in your internal build and we may expect it soon :) That would be good news.
    If not, then I simply have no use for visual effects like wet windshield, wipers, water spray or whatever.

9. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Make it slower an effect which already exist at too much high rate should be easier than creating the effect from crash, so the base for realroad should be here AFAIK ;)

10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

+1

Maybe they are in place... but they need some tweaking :p Sure I can enjoy lapping on my own in the wet, but I want to do league races in wet/changeable condition, and that won't work right now (or when raindrops are added).

Road is drying way way way too fast, and rainspray + smoke eats 80% of the fps. When watching the rainspray my fps drops from 80 to 50. And when at the same time doing a burnout, so there is both smoke and spray: maybe 10-15 fps. And then it's only my rainspray visible. If 20 AI's had rainspray, I'm sure my pc would crash :p

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

True. I ran an endurance league at SimRacingPL. We were hoping to get much better racing experience with rF2, due to changeable conditions, but our transition to rF2 is put on hold.

Some other things may wait (even performance improvements, as we may just race with lower settings). We could even live with unfinished collisions, but things related to simulation of tire wear, weather and real road need to be in raceable state. Currently they're more suitable for modders to play with, not for simracers to actually use in competition. Not if they're serious about it anyway.

But that's league racing. Despite what many may believe, I don't think ISI's largest customer group are league racers, so their priority list may look different. Just look at forums - how many people were waiting for rain spray and rain drops? ... and how many for aquaplanning?

You don't need to look far - just look at the name of this thread :D Majority puts visual impression of rain above actual simulation of racing in the rain.

Sorry, if I ruined anyone's good mood ;)

12. tjc

tjc Registered

Well you didn`t ruin my good mood K as I completely agree with you... I don`t think the basics are in place either.

You might have ruined Tim`s good mood though. :p

13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Nah, I believe he's well aware of our needs, but he's not pulling the strings at ISI :) Although, maybe he could apply some pressure... ;)

We have been asking for at least a temporary solution but it seems like the whole topic was of low importance to ISI. I can understand that from software developer's point of view spending time on this right now seems pointless, since new implementation is coming at some point. But from our point of view? Nearly two years with rF2 and we can't really use one of it's main features.

Honestly, it's been too long.
    I always try to understand how the whole development of rF2 looks from ISI's point of view. Hopefully they can return the favor ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  14. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh, I too always try to "go with the flow" and take things as they come from ISI but there are certain things that do seem to be taking quite a long time to get implemented/updated etc...

15. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

The basics are miles away from to be in place. And I disagree we can live with unfinished collisions. It's a game breaker. When I said (in 2010) that RF2 would be finished in 2015 people laugh on me, let's see.

16. 88mphTim

Bit confusing. I think you're looking a bit wider than I was replying. :)

I answered the question he asked: "a lot of carmods don't have workable wipers... Is this still in development and has yet to come?"
    With: "Stuff like this is getting higher and higher priority now that the basics are in-place."

Are you suggesting that things like wipers not move forward in priority as those things above them do? ;)
    KS is pretty consistent, and he phrases his things very well to where it comes across to me as feedback and discussion, not hate. ;)

17. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yes, I did refer to wider scope :) When I saw you wrote "stuff like this" I assumed you were not talking just about wipers, but about general state of rF2.

If we narrow it down to wipers, then yes, basics may be in place to support wipers :)

18. Caterham_Super_7

Caterham_Super_7 Registered

I just had the race of my life at Spa Francorchamps. Started the weather for the first time and it was p***ing down at the start. When the flag dropped the rain had stopped and I thought there was a problem because there was no spray - until the leading 3 cars hit wet patches. The spray looked F.A.B. Very realsitic as they went through some puddles. I was not however prepared for what happened next. I could clearly see the where the others had gone before me and I though "pretty cool ISI - I like that" - then the skies gradually cleared and the dry line on the track started to appear ! What a revelation :cool: