WRC 4 came out, and made me wish for dirt physics.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Salajutsu, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

ISI, you are our last hope for having a true rally simulation. I know it's been posted before, and I know there are many things coming that takes priority. WRC 4 came out and I don't even want to bother with it.
    Since RBR, there's literally nothing that comes close to simulation on dirt, and having seen the screens of WIP dirt tracks, I just wanted to let ISI know that YOU ARE OUR LAST HOPE FOR DIRT PHYSICS
    It's obvious to me that no other developer will take it as far as ISI when it comes to raw simulation, and nothing in between. AC will be road, pCars is....uhhh....poopCars....and the WRC series just isn't getting it right.

Is this stuff still in planning? anything WIP? any reason to believe that I could be excited for dirt physics in the future?
    Please excuse my redundancy for posting another dirt thread, it's just been a while and seeing the new WRC game made me sad :(

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

WRC4 isn't going to get a US release on PS3 it seems, at least not soon. While dirt is great fun, it doesn't have the financial benefits of circuit racing, and it is somewhere down our list of to-dos.

3. Bigbazz

Bigbazz Registered

Are ISI doing anything with offroad physics? I know there were a few mods for RF1 and SimRaceway (also Gmotor2) tried to do some dirt stuff but it really wasn't very good at all, as good as the RF1 engine could be for tarmac it was pretty crappy for offroad. Would be interesting to see offroad in RF2 but would that not be a whole new workload of epic proportions to achieve what we all want.

RBR was excellent and if you could slap a refined version of the physics onto a shiny new game/graphics engine with high production qualities it would be an extremely popular (among sim racers) game. But then that is living in the past, at some point someone has to take the step and bring offroad simulation into the 2010's. Even if ISI did want to do it we would probably be waiting years.

4. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

PS3? Easy to get it on Steam :)
    Even if it's not a high priority, I would still hope there's some support in the future. I think it would draw a good amount of people in. I suppose real rally tracks are more for the single player in mind, but with the new features and dynamics, man, this platform would be incredible for it ;)

5. 88mphTim

Done with my PC by the end of most evenings. ;)

6. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Do you ever try RBR?

7. maeschba

maeschba Registered

I downloaded the PS Vita demo from PSN Store (EU). What I really like is the new camera view. Something in-between cockpit view and hood view. Behind the front window but without a full cockpit.

Is there a way to create a custom camera view behind the front window in rF2?

8. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Yes, modify the MAS files, its pretty easy but you have to do package process, btw, RBR has that camera for default.

9. maeschba

maeschba Registered

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can make of it. RBR will arrive by snail mail later this week ;-)

10. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Oh! prepare for the fun, its the only sim who the speed scares me, i hope, i wish, rf2 take the legacy of RBR.

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I don't think PS3 games are region-locked, though.

12. maeschba

maeschba Registered

No, they aren't.

13. 88mphTim

It's a very good sim IMHO, like someone else says, the tracks feel claustrophobic with the trees lining them, you get a real sense of speed that is a bit scary. ;)

14. 88mphTim

I could import, you guys think? I did read about that, WRC3 was region free it seems.

15. costamesa

costamesa Registered

RBR :) what a great game to honor a deceased world champion! One of the best simulation games I have ever played.. The others are GP4 and rf1 of course..

16. maeschba

maeschba Registered

As far as I know, all discs are region-free, even tough there is a region printed on the case. I played several US games and often buy them simply to not being forced to play a game with german text. I also played a bit of Nino Kuni in the Japanese version. What doesn't work is DLC. In collections like Metal Gear Solid, some of the games are only available digitally. Or all the extras of Game of the Year editions. Perhaps you won't be able to buy DLC for a EU game in the PSN US store.

Isn't WRC 4 available in the US PSN store? In the EU store, there is even a demo.

17. 88mphTim

Thanks for the info. No, not yet. WRC 3 is.

18. Salajutsu

Salajutsu Registered

Yup, The King. Though I haven't been on it in a couple weeks, I still do runs, and sometimes do online championships (nothing official).

19. maeschba

maeschba Registered

20. osella

osella Registered

Dirt/gravel physics can be at least reasonably half-realistic in rf1 (and so in rf2 too).. I did a lot of testing of grip combinations and if the gravel surface has grip of ~0.65-0.80 (depends on what kind of surface you want to imitate) and resistance (important parameter) set to 1000-3000 and at the same time using gravel tyres, the handling feel pretty realistic. The big problem though is that neither rf1 or rf2 differentiates between tyre types so F1 slicks work perfectly when they shouldn't. But if you stick to tyres with coefficient of no higher than ~1.30-40 it makes sense (f1 tyres have coeff over 2.0 on tarmac while on gravel this should fall down well below 1.0 - and rfactor always keeps it over 2.0 nomatter what surface).